0
ilikefriday

Bold wallpaper suggestions for powder room

ilikefriday
last modified: March 19, 2019

I am thinking of redoing the wallpapered wall in my tiny powder room. I love the current paper but am ready for a change. The other three walls will remain black. I will likely replace the mirror and maybe the light fixture. I am drawn to bold, unexpected, in your face design and am not afraid of color.

The powder room separates the kitchen/dining room and living room.

Dominate kitchen/dining room colors are black, copper, and orange.

Dominate living room colors are navy and orange.

Do you have any suggestions for wallpaper that might be a good fit for my space and compliment the colors that I already have going on?

• ilikefriday thanked Amoeba-meba
  • girl_wonder

Yeah, I was wondering about that guy....LOL

If you're game for a photo on the wall, I wonder if you can get a mural of some sort. (?) I googled "black and white photo mural" and found a bunch, all different styles.

I also came across this.. Maybe the print would be less overpowering if it's not on every wall and ceiling

http://www.candicekayedesign.com/life/2016/10/13/-powder-room-east-village

Or you can add a vortex to your bathroom LOL

http://www.toca-ch.com/collection/black-and-white-swirl-wallpaper/

Let us know what you decide. How fun!

ilikefriday thanked girl_wonder
  • ilikefriday

I am curious if any of you have ever seen peel and stick wallpaper in person. Does it look the same as pasted wallpaper?

• Amoeba-meba

I've made a custom removable wall mural, but haven't seen any of the Etsy versions in person. If you find one that interests you - order a sample to check it out.

ilikefriday thanked Amoeba-meba
  • ilikefriday

Amoeba-meba - You have made them yourself? Sounds interesting. Can you post a photo?

• ilikefriday thanked nhbaskets
  • ilikefriday

girl_wonder - I really like murals and already have two in my home. One is just steps from the powder room. I think another one might be overkill. But if we are talking the man in the corner I might have to suck it up and just do it.

My aunt had vortex wallpaper on all 4 walls in her living room. I felt as if I lost a little bit of my sanity each time I visited her. LOL

• enduring

This is too much fun!!!

ilikefriday thanked enduring
  • Amoeba-meba

This is a photo my dad took of a lake where we spent summers. It feels like a mix between paper and vinyl. You can cut it with a utility knife, but is fairly tough to tear. Very easy to reposition if you don't get it right the first time.

ilikefriday thanked Amoeba-meba
  • ilikefriday

enduring - Glad you have joined in on all the fun!

• ilikefriday

Amoeba - That looks fab. I really like that idea!

• pennydesign

I've used the peel and stick paper...it feels like contact paper to me. Plus it's very sticky rather than slimy so you're constantly having to pull it off the wall and....just hated it.

ilikefriday thanked pennydesign
  • pennydesign

Will you still be doing the one wall?

ilikefriday thanked pennydesign
  • ilikefriday

Penny - Unless I find something I really, really love, I will only do one wall. I have way too many projects going on right now. I have a big mess in my kitchen from the cabinet painting. Also I want to be able to go back to my current paper without too much hassel later.

• ilikefriday thanked Jeff Meeks
  • pennydesign

These are all so coo/pretty! I have no idea how anyone could choose...

ilikefriday thanked pennydesign
  • ilikefriday thanked pennydesign
  • Donald
    What if you swapped out the mirror and light for something as equally dramatic as the current paper? Might see it in a new light
    ilikefriday thanked Donald
  • enduring

A thought, if you’re keeping your black walls, I’d stay away from wall paper with black background because they might not match. Accents of black within the design would work I’d think.

ilikefriday thanked enduring
    ilikefriday thanked Furniture Re-born
  • christinero

Okay, so I have this weird fascination with sharks. This is on the floor, but....

ilikefriday thanked christinero
  • ilikefriday

You guys are awesome!

I have photoshopped some of your ideas.

The black and white wallpaper that wickedwhite posted a link to, I love that wallpaper. When I researched it online to check the price I had to do a double take. I found it on Wayfair for $1196. Am I seeing that correctly? How is it possible that wallpaper sells for that much? And 16 people have reviewed it at that price. Clearly I need to start selling wallpaper to these uber wealthly people who shop for it on Wayfair! I would custom make it for you for that price. OMG! That is out of my league. As much as I like it, I think I would try my hand at painting my own black dots before spending that much!

Donald - That might give me a new perspective! The problem is that the mirror that I currently have is the widest that will work. Otherwise it will be off center because of the wall on the left side. I could also paint the mirror I have and add embellishments to it. I would love a chandelier in the powder room but I am not sure if that is possible. I will definately do some research. Why didnt I think of that???? The mirror and light are the builder grade variety that came with the house.

Furniture Re-born - I will explore that website. Thanks!

Enduring - If I come across a wallpaper that has a different color black background, I would add some of my black paint to the wallpaper to match the wall. If you look at what I currently have, I have black veins going through the wallpaper that I painted with the black wall paint so that it would all blend and flow.

• tartanmeup

OMG, christine! I don't think I could even step in there! lol

ilikefriday thanked tartanmeup
  • tartanmeup

Friday, if you're drawn to graphic geometric b&w options look into "duck tape art" as well. It comes in so many colours, including metallics. Can it be any cheaper?! I'm sure with your imagination, the options will only multiply. In any case, you can trust your eye. Hasn't failed you yet. :D

Duck tape wall designs

ilikefriday thanked tartanmeup
  • ilikefriday

Christinero - I love it! Have you seen the ceiling mural that makes you feel as if you are in a grave?

• tartanmeup

About that wallpaper price...surely it's a typo?! But no, Schumacher. Crazy. Reminds me of Brunschwig & Fils' Les Touches fabric. I remember a blogger taking a Sharpie to duck twill to mimic it. Btw, just discovered Sharpie paint pens at HD.

ilikefriday thanked tartanmeup
  • christinero

I'll stick with sharks, Friday!

ilikefriday thanked christinero
  • ilikefriday

Christinero - Playing with sharks might lead you to looking up from the grave. When you play with fire (erase fire and insert sharks)....

Tartanmeup - Those designs are cool. I dont think I would put tape on my walls. It would completely ruin the drywall. I would use strips if contact paper instead. As for the Sharpies, years ago I did a Sharpie mural in a previous home. That just gave me a thought. A few years ago I saved a Houzz photo of a comic someone painted on the wall of a reading nook. Something like that might be kind of cool. I will have to go search for it. Let me add that to my list. So many things to do. So little time...

• ilikefriday

Here it is - Maybe I could do a Sharpie comic strip on the wall with something really funny. Sort of like content they have on the walls at Potbellys (I dont think that is a national chain but some of you might be familiar with what I am talking about).

• tartanmeup

Love that last one, my_four_sons!

Tape would ruin the drywall, friday? Eek. I wouldn't have thought that. Seen a few bloggers do this.

ilikefriday thanked tartanmeup
    acdesignsky
    My only recommendation would be to rethink only doing the one wall. Accent walls work best when they’re large. You’re going to lose much of what makes a large repeat or bold wallpaper enticing. The room often just looks half finished with only one wall. It’s a game changer.
    I would paper all the walls, amp up the mirror, and layer other art all over. Love where you’re headed! Find a local interior design center or check out walnut wallpaper website. They carry pretty much everyone including trade-only brands.
    ilikefriday thanked acdesignsky
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Or just paint the wall

Select something dynamic

ilikefriday thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • pennydesign

How wide is the space?

I've always loved papered ceilings (am I the only one who immediately looks up when entering a space??) so I think it would be cool to do the one wall but carry it up across the ceiling, too.

Also I really like textured paintable wallpaper...I don't get why it's not used more

https://www.wayfair.com/filters/decor-pillows/sbs/paintable-wallpaper-c1861000-q~embossed-a85978~419724.html?redir=embossed+paintable+wallpaper

ilikefriday thanked pennydesign
  • ilikefriday

my four sons - I never knew that CB2 had wallpaper. I kind of like that black and white one. Thanks!

tartanmeup - I would think that the adhesive from the duct tape would peel the paper off the drywall but I could be wrong.

acdesignsky - I dont think I have it in me to do all 4 walls. I like the look of all walls being papered but I want the flexibility of easily changing the design when my mood changes. Only doing one wall gives me more flexibility.

Beverly - I love many of the Kelly W....(how do you spell her last name??) wallpapers. But they are soooooo expensive!!! The Channels wallpaper is devine!

Penny - I hadnt thought of doing the ceiling. I really do like that look and would consider doing it. The room is 54"x59". 59" wide. So really tiny!

• tartanmeup

That last one has me lol-ing, friday.

I love the idea of a papered wall as well. You're not the only one who looks up, penny! I am so bored of my white ceilings, I cannot tell you. (And I'm considered paintable textured wallpaper somewhere in my bedroom. It seems like such an easy way to add texture to a space/thing.)

ETA: papered ceiling not wall :) (I seem to proofread myself when I get notifications of updates on the thread.)

ilikefriday thanked tartanmeup
  • justwantapool

I do like Beverly's choices :)

ilikefriday thanked justwantapool
  • pamghatten

I did peel and stick that I got on Amazon .. it was so easy to re-position if the pattern wasn't quite on. This picture is before I hung the mirror.

ilikefriday thanked pamghatten
  • wishiwereintheup

Being a guy, I like the one on the right, but knowing some of my friends, I'd have to superimpose a 'no' sign on top of it, else they see it as explicit permission.

ilikefriday thanked wishiwereintheup
  • wickedwhite
    A few from Anthropologie.
    ilikefriday thanked wickedwhite
  • wickedwhite
    This one is interesting too.
    ilikefriday thanked wickedwhite
    Beth H. :

since you're updating, what about doing a black wainscot around the entire room, and wall paper above?

love the console sinks too

you could also do a white wainscot, black and white paper and a glossy black ceiling (use your imagination on this pic)

accent wall

love the koi wallpaper. comes in quite a few color combos.

I like this cheetah print because it works w/your flooring and the golden shades
    If you did something like this I'd get a gold mirror/lights, and some wood shelving for over the toilet. a gold console sink would be perfect

this comes in black and white, or other color backgrounds

another idea

ilikefriday thanked Beth H. :
  • ilikefriday

Beth H - I had a passing thought of doing a gallery wall like your last photo. If seems to me with all that art in such a tiny space a guest might mess the hole thing up look for the TP. LOL I would also consider the half wainscot. That black and white photo you posted could easily be done with a stencil.

Wickedwhite - I love the look of that gold cat wallpaper with the black and white table.

Beth H. :

I love this look w/the white lower, black/white paper, AND a black ceiling. (you have tall walls. you can get away w/doing a dark ceiling)

I love it more w/a black or gold console

with the gold cat wall paper, bring in the black w/the sink/faucet and do either the black or white wainscot. Or just do one entire wall w/this paper.

with this setup, I think the white wainscot all the way around the room w/the paper on top would look best.

cool mirror if doing all black and white

what about gold zebras on black? with the black or gold console sink?

there is way too much white for this wallpaper to work. black or wood vanity would have been better. (or at least a black countertop)

if staying w/black, don't forget black outlets/covers on the black wall.

black wall (matte) w/a glossy black stencil

ilikefriday thanked Beth H. :
  • ilikefriday

Im on board with you Beth. I love the look too. But I think I would do black at the bottom and a gold ceiling. I had a similar look a several years ago. I also love the sink with the black legs. BUT..... It would take a minor miracle for me to get my dh to agree to changing the sink at the moment. He just agreed to painting the awful honey oak kitchen cabinets that he seems to be in love with. Also while I am really drawn to the color black, my kitchen/dining room are black and I am painting my kitchen cabinets black. The powder room seperates the kitchen/dining room and the living room. I dont want everything to look all matchy matchy. But thats silly because I have 3 black walls right now. LOL

How do you think it would look if that black and white paper were on all 4 walls, floor to ceiling? I ask that after I have stated several times that I only want to do one wall. OMG my mind changes with the wind.

I wonder how that would look with the rest of my decor.

Beth H. :

I think any combo of black and white will look fine. throw in a color if you prefer.

the pedestal sink you do have is a bit on the 'dated' side. If going for more of a modern look, think about changing it. another DIY idea is finding a console sink and spraying the pipe portion w/a matte black spray paint. (or gold). check craigslist daily and maybe someone will want to unload theirs.

before committing to the wallpaper, you could always paint and stencil. lot of work, but way cheaper than spending for the wallpaper and install. (unless you'll do it). or do what was mentioned above, find a peel and stick wallpaper. Etsy has a lot. you could even give them a picture of a design and they will make it into wallpaper.

and i'm the same way. I'd redecorate every 5 years if I could. I get bored w/the same look.

ilikefriday thanked Beth H. :
  • ilikefriday

LOL Beth, that is not all that is dated around here! My dh is very slow about change with things like that. I dont mind stenciling. It has been total sticker shock to see the price of wallpaper. Some of the prices I have seen have been absurd!

• ilikefriday

mom2sulu - Your bathroom is beautiful! I do love the look of wainscoting and it is spectacular in your room. I just didnt want to make this a big project, as it will be diy. I am slowly coming to the realization that it will not be a one day turnaround kind of job....

I am warming to the idea of either wainscoting or floor to ceiling wallpaper / stencil / mural on all 4 walls. What I want is something quick. Stencils and murals are not quick. But they are cheaper then spending $1000+ on wallpaper that I will be tired of in 3 years. All for a room that is about the size of a shoebox. The price of wallpaper nearly makes me faint. I had no idea.

Signed Clueless About The Cost of Wallpaper