0
dvkhaus

Painting Rustic Wormwood Pine Armoire- advice PLEASE

DK Haas
last modified: March 19, 2019

I would like to paint this cabinet white/off-white. Has anyone painted wormwood pine? Do you have any pics & DIY tips to share? I'd like to minimize the holey-look.

This piece has been stored in the garage for decades. The house furnishings lean to a transitional West-Indies -dark woods with blues, greens, & cream. I am thinking of painting it white-ish to sit opposite of a white denim slipcovered sofa in the front formal sitting / dining area. These two green ikat chairs will be placed to the sides of the cabinet. Other furniture & wall art are shown below.

• rinq

Is there lacquer on there or shellac varnish and/or (bees)wax?

Once all grease is off andyou've sanded the thing, prime it, then you'll see all holes and grains and can decide which ones you'll fill up.

DK Haas thanked rinq
  • calidesign

Since your chairs have the darker wood and your sofa is white, I would think about staining it dark instead. If you want it light, try Annie Sloan milk paint. It covers pine beautifully. Your final result will look rustic. You could paint it white, cream, or a light shade of blue or green, which could look nice against cream walls.

DK Haas thanked calidesign
  • Fori

I think I'd prefer it in the greens to the creams, but a darker stain might complement things nicely. It really depends on how the wood looks. Some rustic pine looks bad painted but lovely when you can see the grain and character. Staining pine is tricky, but the stain-poly combos (like MInwax Polyshades, although apparently there are better-regarded versions from other brands) would go over it okay.

DK Haas thanked Fori
    Simply Elegant Home

Research chalk paint like from Annie Sloan. You can also check out how to make your own chalk paint on Utube. No need to do a lot of prep unless you want to fill holes. Paint a chalk paint base coat, add a coat or two of the blue/greens, sanding in between to reveal the colors underneath. Makes sit look aged. Then use dark and clear waxes. Oh, I just noticed someone else suggested the same!

DK Haas thanked Simply Elegant Home
  • tatts

Unless that wood is in pristine shape, painting it white will highlight every ding and every dent and every hole. A white--especially flat white--looks like primer, and it looks like you gave up before you put the finish coat on.

DK Haas thanked tatts
  • bellburgmaggie
    Painting pine can be difficult because it bleeds. Read about painting pine paneling before you proceed.
    DK Haas thanked bellburgmaggie
  • DK Haas

In a perfect world, where there is no budget constraints, I'd make the wormwood doors glass. So, I this world I'm thinking of using wood filler and Linsser BIN Shellac primer. It's my first paint job.

The armoire is LARGE. I'm open to other color suggestions, but to be honest - nothing bright. I am afraid that a dark choice will be too overpowering in the small space. Here is a similar cabinet -stained dark and another painted light.. I have considered chalk paint, but read about the need to re-apply the wax after a few years... I'm considering SW eider white, which is a shade of white. I've read numerous blogs that suggested Linsser BIN shellac primer seals and stops stain bleed-thru.

• suedonim75

I had a similar armoire that I painted. I filled the larger holes and sanded it all down. I used an oil based primer (I used BIN), then painted it with a latex paint.

DK Haas thanked suedonim75
  • salonva

I just have to comment that I love your chairs. Whatever you decide I am sure the room will be lovely.

DK Haas thanked salonva
  • Sheeisback GW

Ack just lost what I typed.

When I paint something with knot holes I always will use Zimsser BIN primer over them to avoid bleed through. Sometimes I’ll prime the whole piece with BIN and other times I’ll switch to water based primer. (BIN is oil based). You can fill any dents and ding and sand. I’ve used MH ready past in the past and was happy with it.

General note- For anything being stained Famowood Wood Filler is excellent. The primers and fillers were all recommended to me here (we’ll when it was gardenweb) years back from the knowledgeable guys from the paint forum

I personally would skip chalk paint and do two coats (after prep and prime) of a good quality semi gloss paint like one from BM or SW.

I would leave it stained to add warmth but if you paint I think I’d go with a creamy white.

DK Haas thanked Sheeisback GW
  • lynartist
    If you decide to paint this rather than stain it then start by sanding and then applying a shellac based primer such as Bin. If you don’t you will have bleed through especially if you go light. I know chalk paint is popular because it’s easy but don’t skip the primer. I would be inclined to keep the rustic aspects of this intact, go for a mid tone color such as green and do some distressing. If you do that the priming wouldn’t be so important as the natural warmth of the wood coming through would be desirable. After distressing a stain& seal product over all would give it more depth.
    DK Haas thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    I think these type pieces just look best when not made to look too perfect.