Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fant_agirl

Victorian furniture- have you seen anything like this?

Me AGirl
5 years ago
Have you seen anything like this cabinet/vitrine?

Comments (16)

• gtcircus
    5 years ago
    Yes. What is the question?
  • Me AGirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Where can I find information about this style cabinet? Painting on it? Value? Where to find one?
  • gtcircus
    5 years ago
    Looks like a French Victorian curio cabinet.
  • Me AGirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I really wish to find out the year and what the painting is about. Where could I buy one of these
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You'll have to frequent antique stores and auctions. n And you're unlikely to find an exact copy.

• gtcircus
    5 years ago
    Yes I agree - an inexpensive copy. Enjoy it.
  • bleusblue2
    5 years ago

Two posts above say it's "dimestore" or "inexpensive." If you really know that I'll step back. But what do you say about the CURVES in the wood and in the glass. I think it has lovely proportions. The oval painting looks very pretty and not modern chi chi. My vote is that it's antique from the days when detail mattered. Since antiques these days date from the 40s I'd say it has to go back farther than that.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Antiques are generally considered to be 100 years old or older so going back to the 40s unless you mean 1840s is interesting. It is later than 1840s. While not dimestore if you would find one compared to todays market for made not mostly put together it would be inexpensive. I too am thinking French but around 1900. The OP if she wants one like this will have to start looking and buy when she finds it. She may also want to contact the sales room to see if it is still available.

A difficulty I have is this area used to have a furniture store called Prince Howard that sold reproductions of all eras but nothing past 1920. This would have fit quite nicely in their showroom.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    5 years ago

On really nice ones, the ornamentation is ormolu. Closer to the 18th c. originals.

• lindac92
    5 years ago

Impossible to say a specific year....it's late Edwardian era....
    The picture on the front is just a "picture" no meaning nor specifics. it was not an expensive piece when new, but a little age has added to it's desirability. Let's say it's a vitrine ( curio cabinet) in a French style, made for ordinary people.

• Me AGirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I was wondering about if it was French or British?
  • Me AGirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    How can we tell if it’s an original or reproduction?

I have a feeling it is original. Based on the details.

Not sure where to look on the furniture to find any detail or carving or the name of the person who made it?
    The curbed shape of the glass is sooo unique.
  • Me AGirl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Sombreuil,
    Would you happen to have the link to these images you found?
    Any details about those ones?
  • lindac92
    5 years ago

It's a reproduction for sure....or an original....depending on what you are talking about a reproduction of...
    It's a piece made in the early 20th century imitating a piece made in 18th century France, or Belgium.Let's say it's an imitation not a reproduction. It's factory made while the piece it imitates were hand made.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    5 years ago

I found them in a image search for louis xvi vitrine.