0
erin_greenwood97

Inexpensive way to restore hardwood floor?

Erin Greenwood

Buying a house that needs lots of work. However it has awesome hardwood floors with this really cool inlay. There are some spots of wear and staining though. I like the character but want them to look good. I also have a dog so I don't want to completely refinish the floors right now but do want to improve them. After a major clean is there a good way to give them a face lift without going through a complete refinishing process?

G & S Floor Service

You can use a polish like rejuvenate.

• jellytoast

G & S, can you clarify something? I have read often on the forum about the perils of using polishes, etc. on hardwood flooring (that it leaves a film, is difficult if not impossible to remove, etc.). Is Rejuvenate different in that respect? Or is it that when a floor is already in poor shape, it doesn't make much difference? Would applying it be problematic when it comes time to refinish?

G & S Floor Service

If, the floor is not sandable.it makes sense to use polish at that point, if, there is no desire for replacement. Yes, it is film building and frequent re-application is needed.

• SJ McCarthy

Here's how you tell what LEVEL of refinish/refresh you can look at. Have a good look at the WORN areas. Ask yourself this: Can I see RAW WOOD? Or is it just deep/excessive scratches?

If you can see 'raw wood' (which I think I can see in front of the pantry area) then you are too late for a quick refresh.

If you have a deep/excessive scratches but the wood is FULLY covered, then you can opt for a buff-and-coat. A buff and coat is a quick (takes 1-2 days to complete) process. The professional comes in and does a LIGHT sanding (buffing) just to give a bit of grab to the EXISTING finish. Then they lay a SINGLE COAT of finish (compatible with your existing finish). The cost is roughly 1/2 the price of a full sand/refinish ($3/sf rather than $5/sf). A buff and coat will offer 5-7 years worth of service and will give a lovely 'pick-me-up' on a floor-finish that has another 10 years of service.

If I'm correct and am seeing raw floor in front of the cabinet/pantry, then the buff and coat won't be enough. Raw wood means the floor has been left too long without a refinish. If you can see 'raw wood' then the previous owners missed the "time for a refinish" by SEVERAL YEARS. If the area of raw wood is significant (more than a few square inches) then they missed it by a decade or so.

This all hangs on the "raw wood" vs. scratches.

• seabornman

I have rented a floor pad sander which is basically a heavy vibratory sander with sanding sheets approximately one square foot. Easy for DIY because it is difficult to screw up but it is slow and is not meant to take off the amount of wood that a professional floor drum sander does. I believe it could give you a decent result for now. You might try it in one room first.