Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alioop9082

Need advice on kitchen colors

alioop9082
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello all, I am fairly new to decorating and I would love your input. I am buying a house and will be making some changes to the kitchen and dining area (countertop, repainting of walls and cabinets, and new backsplash). I find it very beige-y right now. Here it is:

I like a bright, but inviting kitchen. I’m not great at qualifying my style, but I think what I envision would be called a kind of modern farmhouse look...

I planned to change the countertops to all match to the black quartz on the island. I love subway tile, and I am leaning toward a tile backsplash in a light blue shade. Let me know what you think. Here is my inspiration:

Currently the cabinets look pretty white in pictures but they are very much a warm off white/cream in person. I want them brighter, so I was thinking sherwin-williams Pure White, but I’m not positive. I should add, the kitchen should get light from both north and south facing windows. I hope this will be a crisp white without looking extremely cold or stark. I would continue that color onto the trims and door to the porch. If you have a suggestion on another shade of white, I’m all ears!

The walls are what really throw me...I don’t like the combo of floor and wall color; they don’t seem to compliment each other well to me. I don’t mind the floors themselves, so they are staying. But what direction should I go for wall color to help tie it all together? I had thought of going lighter, to a very pale griege or off-white (like SW Eider white and Incredible white). Any opinions on that would be appreciated, and I’m open to all other suggestions for wall color. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

thinkdesignlive is correct. Moreover, those blue subway tiles have the potential to REALLY clash with that floor. Samples of everything, viewed in your space, before you do anything at all. And do everything else before you choose the splash.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago

Not to mention you create the domino effect with white paint throughout your home. Looks like the current cabinets match the trim? You would want to repaint all the trim and doors throughout? Again, I say wait....

• alioop9082
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your perspective. I will hold off on backsplash decisions. Is it because the floors are warm that you think the blue tile would clash? I’m not talking bright blue, but light gray-blue. Is there another tile color you would use?

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Leave it alone! You have the perfect kitchen! You can add color and make it anything you want with accents. If you start painting and changing tiles, you will be stuck with what ever you choose. If you add chairs, lighting, tools, etc. you can change those at a whim.

Look up white kitchens with ???? color accents. Here is red.....

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&biw=1806&bih=931&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=2NiXXK7KOsqGsQXG2KT4CQ&q=white+kitchen+with+red+accents&oq=white+kitchen+with+red+accents&gs_l=img.3..0j0i5i30l2j0i8i30l2.50561.53509..54154...0.0..1.176.1453.14j2....2..0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30.WQSe8HHhQFc

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Kathi, well said. Use some fabrics and throw rugs that don't slip, in the kitchen area. Change out the kitchen hardware in a color if you like or just paint what is there in a shade of blue? It really all matches very well now, but if you love color, you can add it without bringing in a nail bar, and a hammer and creating an environmental mess of dust. It's all in such wonderful condition, anything you bring in will look lovely as an addition. Add some upholstered or painted wooden counter seating tooo in your favorite hue. Bring in some printed and lovely fabric drapes. That black counter will make your color additions pop. You can paint that wall your dining art is on also, in a color you love. Really you have the great pleasure of owning the perfect blank slate as far as making it your own. I can see bringing in alot of the beach themed paint colors, with wicker if you like that color, with sea glass blue or green hue of paint colors, and any coral tones that appeal to you also. Just because you enjoy those colors of course, you don't have to focus on a beach theme, you can use that as a pallette to look at. The flowers on your table and your art brought this idea to mind...

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

If you're being sucked in by the grey trend, do also be aware that it's starting to fade. Greige is skewing more to beige, and before you know it, this kitchen will be the cutting edge of chic again. :-)

• Bluebell66
    5 years ago

I agree. Leave the backsplash and decorate your space. It’s lovely as is and you’re on trend.

• AboutToGetDusty
    5 years ago

I agree! I have moved into two homes now with really old, ugly, awful kitchens. The best thing I ever did both times? Live with them for a year or two and get to know what works and what doesn't. Personally, I think the kitchen you are moving into is beautiful and on trend!

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Firstly, these are real estate photos and altered a lot to look this pale. I'm sure it's much more beige-on-beige IRL, as you stated. Beige can be tricky, so updated pics would be better for any color advice.

Second, it's not a good idea to rush into changes when first moving into a new place. Live in it, notice how the natural light works in the house, get your stuff in there and work in the kitchen. You might find that the dark countertop on the island always looks dusty or it's difficult for you to see as well.

In the mean time, decorate and collect some inspiration. Get all of your samples picked out and viewed in the spaces. Take your time. You don't know how many first time posters have been here because they rushed into making changes and regret them. We'd really like for you to avoid that awful feeling!

• alioop9082
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok you have mostly convinced me!

The main reason we are going to change the counter is because the laminate is warped and damaged. So we decided we will match the black on the island. I just thought we might as well change the backsplash at the same time to something that better suits black, BUT if you really think that one is a good choice with the black quartz I’ll happily leave it!

The cabinets really do need to be painted though regardless though; they are showing a fair bit of wear (except the island, that’s obviously newer. It has me wondering whether the paint on the cupboards may have yellowed over time and the island has not had the chance yet). If the color of those cabinets presented in real life the way they do in those pictures, I would absolutely be happy. I agree it looks like a good match in the picture. But I SWEAR, in person it is much warmer and I really feel the need to brighten it up, even if it’s just a tiny bit. So if anyone has any recommendations for a SW white that isn’t too cold, I would love to hear it. I will test a few out and hang on bristol board and see which is the best for the space.

As for the wall paint color, does anyone find that grey is not the best, or is it just me? I may put some real color in there on the walls, but if I do decide to keep it neutral, should leave it as is or pick a different shade? Thanks everyone!

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Weeeelll, I just painted my entire interior SW Westhighland White. This was after years of using a lot of color on the walls, so I love that too. I'm driven by personal circumstances and needed a calm shell after a few chaotic years. My furniture and art will be colorful. I like grey and used BM Ozark Shadows in my living room several years ago. Gorgeous lavender grey, like you'd see in a sunset. A lot of us are tired of seeing the same thing, all the time, everywhere.

I painted my previous cabinets myself. They held up okay for a while but the high traffic areas needed frequent touchups. This will happen with a hired painter, as well, and it's so expensive. If you wait, you might be able to afford new cabinets and tweak the layout. I would DIY due to the expense of a pro and poor life, but it is a LOT of work.

Any paint on the walls and cabinets should look good with the flooring. That's your meter. Color is wonderful but you don't want to design in a vacuum. Take into consideration all of the fixed elements, your style, preferences, and furniture. That said, painting average height walls, yourself, is cheap and easy. Play around!

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

What ARE your style preferences? Favorite colors? Things you'd like to display?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Painting cabinets is extremely messy and time consuming. It means cleaning them with a degreaser, then sanding, then priming, and finally putting on the paint coat. And if you hire a professional, you're looking at $3,000-$5,000.

Leave the kitchen as is for now and save up your money. If the cabinets are that bad, and you save, in a few years, you'll be able to replace them with new

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Also, with that overhang on the island, if you change to a stone top, you will need to add some supports to the cabinet to support the overhang.

Please, make your self a comprehensive plan before you start. Otherwise, one thing leads to another to another to another. Then, you are in over your head and have no idea how you got there.

Do you want to leave the microwave over the stove, is the island in the best place, how much seating do you want at the island, is there enough space between the island and the sink or stove, would a peninsula serve better than an island, should my cabinets go to the ceiling, do I want a lazy Susan in the corner, should my bottom cabinets be drawers, etc. These are all questions you need to decide before you start changing things. That is why it is suggested for people to live in a house for a year before demoing a kitchen.

It really takes about a year or two to plan a kitchen renovation. By that time, you will also get an idea of the true cost. Without a comprehensive plan, you will probably end up spending about 30K and have no idea how you got there and have to spend 10K more to finish. With a comprehensive plan, you will end up spending 30K, but you know exactly what you got for your money.

Don't forget about flooring, if you are going to change it, now is the time. But, I love your flooring. It is so neutral, it just fades into the back ground.

When you have a plan, before you swing a demolition hammer, have all of your supplies there....your new sink, faucets, cabinet hardware, cabinets, dishwasher, etc. So that when you start, you won't have to make a bad decision because it will take 6 weeks to get ABC and you don't have the time.

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

Here is my neutral kitchen, with colorful accents.