0
hk1986

Wood floors vs tile floors

hk1986

I have vaulted wooden ceilings and I need help choosing what type of floor to install. We are keeping the carpet upstairs, and changing the floor downstairs in living room area plus the kitchen. My husband thinks we should stain the beams very dark and get dark hardwood floor. My designer suggested a gray tile floor. We need a decision made this week. Please give me any advice you have.

• Manon Floreat

I would choose a wood floor in a similar, but a tad lighter color than the ceiling. I like tile in wet rooms, but in living spaces I like the warmth of wood on floors with a fantastic area rug. The exception would be for tropical climates or beach front.

If you do decide on tile, I urge you not to choose gray.

A couple of each might help you determine your preference:

hk1986 thanked Manon Floreat
  • remodeling1840
    Hummmm...your designer thinks gray tile would go with all that warm wood ceiling....
    hk1986 thanked remodeling1840

I love gray but not in flooring with all that wood color. I don’t see an issue with going with wood in the same tone as the ceiling if you love wood I would not go dark for sure.

hk1986 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Grey tile wood flooring would look horrible with that ceiling, sorry. Real wood the same color as your ceiling, or a few shades lighter, would look great.

hk1986 thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • H202

Fire the designer! Real wood. Or a cream, no movement, large format tile.

hk1986 thanked H202
  • greenfish1234

I echo what manon and others said. I'll also add that I disagree with your husband. Keep the ceiling as is and coordinate the wood floors with it. Use rugs to break it up.

hk1986 thanked greenfish1234
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Keep the ceiling as is. Dark wood floor is a nightmare to keep clean.

I think the room needs a medium to light floor for good like reflection. When is it that guys don't want dark wood?????? Give your husband the dark wood on a back drop for the TV.

hk1986 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
    Oak & Broad

No grey! A lighter colors wood floor would look very nice. Maybe a light whitewash like this?

Oiled Character Grade White Oak White Finish · More Info

hk1986 thanked Oak & Broad
  • Kathy

I agree with a medium toned wood flooring basically following through with the ceiling and the trim.

hk1986 thanked Kathy
  • hk1986

Thank you everyone!! This is extremely helpful. You all had the same opinion. I really wanted to go with hard wood floors, to keep the cabin feel, and with all of you agreeing, I feel a lot better about my decision. It sounds like I should go for a lighter color wood for the floors. Now I need to choose the trim and baseboard. Would you keep that wood as well? Thanks again for all of your help! This is amazing!