Your shopping cart is empty.

should I fill in the sunken living room?

Yvette Ruiz
March 24, 2019
We’re working on a full remodel of this home to eventually live in. A big question is the sunken living room. Should we fill in or leave as is? The stone around the fireplace will either be taken out and replaced with tile/stone or we’ll tile over it.

The long wall leading into the kitchen is coming down to make it a more open floor plan. Kitchen is getting reno’d too. That’s a longer story. : )

What do y’all think? Fill in the living room or leave it?

Comments (6)

  • Paul f

    Oy, re-calculating stair heights, door heights, switches, ducts/registers... plugs. Is this a down to the studs type of remodel?

  • Yvette Ruiz
    Paul, it is not. This big stuff is getting redone but trying to save as much of what exists to keep costs down.

    So basically, floors, kitchen, bathrooms and windows.
  • tatts

    But you will have to rebuild the stairs. You can't have stair risers that vary like that--it's code. They must all be the same height, to within less than 3/8".

  • Paul f

    Too expensive to change it so I would learn to live with it. Maybe use a nice tile riser and a wooden bullnose stair edge that shows you actually like the step and have embraced it? Right now it looks poorly finished.

  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

    This requires all of the items mentioned above plus all the window will now need to tempered glass since they will be too close to the floor. I would be curious to know what is under the raised floor in the entry and the kitchen. I would for sure want to eliminate the raised entry if possible since it is small and IMO an accident waiting to happen. IMO it would be cheaper to lower those floors than raise the LR one if there is nothing going on in them. ince you are doing the kitchen anyway .

  • dan1888

    You'll be dealing one way or another with the length of the wall you remove. I can't see that being one long step down.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).