0
amy_william23

Starting the whole design process

Amy William
I’m in need of some guidance on how to begin the process of redoing our “master” not so master bathroom. It’s size and layout is identical to our guest bathroom, so I was thinking since I don’t have the space for a double vanity and separate tub/shower, maybe I would do a spa master suite.

I’d like to remove the all in one shower unit and do a tiled stand up shower and put enclosures in the wall and even include a shower bench.

My question is, how do you go about picking tile for showers, walls, and floors? Does the vanity come first? Everything in our bedroom is grays, blacks, and teals, and I wasn’t sure if I should stay with that or what style I should try and go with.

• Claire Larece
    Have you gone to the depot or Loews to see the variety of choices they have in tile. You might find something that’ll catch your eye but that’s when your ready for tiling. You haven’t demoed your bathroom yet.
    Beth H. :

what's the budget? can you guys DIY? if you demo everything you'll save about 1-2K.

I redid a similar bath for my neighbor and the total came to about 10K. but we ripped everything down to the studs.

first determine what style you want and start looking at tile. vanities are everywhere. Houzz, wayfair, RH, pottery barn, even local tile stores sometimes carry them. I've found some great deals on Craigslist. Also kitchen/bath showrooms (a bit more money) .

so get an idea of what you like and work from there. don't worry about matching the colors to your bedroom. that will change many times before you ever redo the bath again.

you need a realistic budget. then you need to research tile setters. expect to pay at least 5K to tile the shower and floor.

• Manon Floreat

Doing lots of looking at the baths here on Houzz and elsewhere is the place to begin. Then, after you've got some looks that really appeal to you, I'd hire a professional designer. One that specializes in kitchen and bath remodels. Those areas are kind of their own thing. There are all sorts of things to consider that just don't apply to living and sleeping areas - like plumbing, ventilation and waterproofing, to name a few. A quality professional will be money well spent.

• Robin Morris

If you can afford to work with a designer, do... They are very helpful and cheaper than making mistakes.

Like Beth said, it is best to get a good idea of the overall style you want first. I made many ideabooks on houzz. Then I think it is best to pick the busiest element first (which is either a tile or counter) and then pick more neutral elements to go with it.

For example, for our master we knew we wanted marble tile on the shower walls, so first we found a marble tile that we loved. It was a busy stone, so everything else wound up being neutral: dark grey tile on the floor to match the dark veins in the the marble, a light gray transitional vanity with a plain white quartz top and neutral wall colors.

However, for our guest bath, we knew we wanted to reuse our kitchen quartzite remnants for the counter and shower bench. Our quartzite is also bit busy, so everything else was chosen to be neutral and compliment the colors in the stone. Both bathrooms turned out lovely.

If this is a gut job and IMO it should be you need a designer to help with all the decisions that need to be made. But first start an idea book with small bathrooms that you like it will give the designer a good idea to strat with. Have a budget and make it double what you think it should be.I can’t see you having space for any benches in the shower so maybe think a teak one that folds up when you don’t need it. If there is a tub in the other bathroom then a nice shower will be a good idea in the master.

• Amy William
    Thank you. This will definitely be gutted and by my husband. I do love still the idea of having a spa master bath with just a shower because we do have a nice tub in the guest. I will look to see if I can find a designer to help.