Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erik_schmitt40

Problems with my Star Jasmine

Erik
5 years ago

I live in North Georgia, have grown Star Jasmine several times and have never had a problem with it. It actually seems to be a pretty hardy plant. However, I have 2 star jasmine plants that have taken a turn for the worse. They thrived last summer, which was it's 2nd summer. At the end of the summer, one of them got mealy bugs. Many of the leaves dropped off, and the ones that remained got black. I let it be through the winter. A few weeks ago, I got all the black (or most of it) off the leaves which were really green. I took off the top layer of mulch and dirt and put down some fresh manure and a fresh layer of mulch, and gave it a good watering.. Now the leaves look like they're turning yellow. I thought for sure it would at least sprout some new leaves and start to fill in. The sad part is I'm pretty sure it's not going to bloom this year since it's disease. I'm really at a loss on what to do. I feel like yellow leaves means it needs water, but I don't want to water it and have it get water logged. My pots drain very well, so Im pretty sure it's not holding water.

I attached before and after pictures..

This is last June. They were doing great. They were a quarter the size the summer before.

These are the mealy bugs from last October. They were just on the jasmine on the right.

This what the right one looked like in Feb.

And these are the left and right one today. (April 2019). Now the leaves are turning yellow.. but I'm afraid to water it. I know jasmine loves water, (well drained).. but I just gave each pot a gallon last week with some miraclegro.

LEFT

RIGHT

ANY HELP WOULD BE HUGE!!!

Comments (6)

• Erik
    Original Author
    5 years ago

should I try to take the manure out? I probably still could. Besides aged manure, what else could I put in?

• Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Boxes are on the small side, although restriction with pruning is of course possible to give an idea of what you are dealing with this is a climber that is genetically programmed to grow more than 23 ft. high and wide. So in addition to more diligent fertilization they may need bigger boxes, replacement of more than just the top layer of potting soil.

Erik thanked Embothrium
  • Erik
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gotcha. I thought about bigger boxes. my last home I trained it over the entire garage. It looked amazing. I was hoping to have it start to grow over the top at this point. I may need to pull them out of the pots and replant with fresh soil.

• Erik
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you to all!!

I ended up scraping the manure out, and pulled the entire plant out of the boxes. I repotted with potting soil, and added some MiracleGro Quick Start with a gallon of water per plant, and I've already got buds all over each plant..

Thank you @Embothrium and @callirhoe123 for your advice and help!

• Erik
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, It looks like it worked! Thanks for ALL the help and advice from everyone!! Check it out!! (before and after)