Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cari_racebessette

Layout and accessories

Bess04
5 years ago
New vacation home in N.C. Happy with my furniture selections but need some help with accessories. Pop of color. Fireplace mantle needs help.

I also wonder if I should move couch to face the 3 windows?

Comments (26)

• Susan Murin
    5 years ago
    I would add color/texture through drapery and some art/accessories that are meaningful to you. You are starting from a good place- it’s a nice room. Whether to move the couch depends on the view- is the view out the windows prettier than the fireplace?
  • PRO
    Restoration Decor and Consulting
    5 years ago

I would choose a color from the area rug and use a combination of solid, texture, and pattern for window treatments, throw pilows, and accessories. I'd also add plants. This article with tips on how to choose colors you'll love should help. And this one has tips for mixing patterns and textures with solids.

• Sara Tajer
    5 years ago
    Lovely room!
  • ilesliemy
    5 years ago
    There is always someone who doesn’t like a Persian rug! I love it myself.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nice ideas from Flo to make room pop up! Love it. I would get nice chandelier. It makes absolutely great view in Flo's rendering.

• Bess04
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank u! Can I do this with existing rug? Husband loves it.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Cari, have you tried showing your DH the photos with the alternate rugs. Your itself is great, but IMO it doesn't work with any of the other items you selected. Are you prepared to change those to something new? It's the 'twiggy' patterned chairs are the issue. You can get by with the leather wrapped chair.

• Bess04
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I really like the first rug you showed. I’m not sure what DH abbreviation is (dumb husband)? All items are new. Possible to put existing rug in office. I also like to change light fixture. The twig pattern, I fell in love with. I live in Naples and wanted to get away from my coastal decor here.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Dear Husband

• hazelcraddock
    5 years ago

I kind of liked Cari's interpretation or use DDH (dear dumb husband.)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

A different perspective on your room.

• Val B
    5 years ago
    Dumb Husband, laughing so hard. I’m generally a fan of Persian rugs, but agree that it doesn’t go well with the twiggy chair pattern. I really like Bev’s first rendering. My first thought was that the light fixture was too small and I really like how she pulled it all together. You’re off to a great start, though! Not a professional, but just an enthusiast.
  • d8862r
    5 years ago
    That second look would be great!!
  • d8862r
    5 years ago
    FYI. I like your rug. I have one very similar. Just not in your room with your furniture. I’m not a professional, just love home decor
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    5 years ago

We think some window treatments, and a new rug would work well. Also you might look into adding more pillows, a nice plant in the corner, and a few side tables.

Buckhead Mid Century Modern Home · More Info

Downtown Aiken Law Office · More Info

• Bess04
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Green light from DH for new rug! It’s going in his office. When I’m there in June, I will bring some home to select with Houzzer help
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Yeah!!!!

• Bess04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What do you think of these rugs?

• Carolae
    4 years ago

I would not choose a neutral rug, but rather add color with a rug and drapery panels, like Bev suggested. The fabric on the chairs is a contemporary pattern which is why the traditional rug doesn’t look nice with them. I love the orange colors in Bev’s rendering, but you could do another color, turquoise for example. Just look for rugs that aren’t traditional in colors you like. I’d look for a rug that has one predominant color.

I love those chairs, by the way!

• Carolae
    4 years ago

The first rug is too traditional, and the second one is a too bold geometric pattern for your chairs.

Calling @groveraxle to chime in. She (?) always posts lovely rug suggestions!

• Bess04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@carolae thank you for you input. It helps to know why the rug doesn’t work. I do love the chairs. Here is a solid I like.

• Carolae
    4 years ago

I like that rug a lot! I think you need to see how it looks in your room. Colors are hard to judge on a computer monitor if you found the rug online. I’ve ordered two area rugs online, and one was much darker than I anticipated. Is it easily returnable?

I would repeat the rug color elsewhere in the room- in pillows, artwork, decor such as vases, and/or drapery panels. I’ve read that repeating a color in three places in a room makes for a harmonious look. Is your kitchen open to this room? Are there other colors in the room?

You could also add another color to this room in small doses- blue (not a light blue, but a medium or dark blue), turquoise, and hunter green all look great with orange.

I don’t like your current black and white pillows with this rug. I buy most of my pillows at Pier 1 or Walmart. Pier 1 has quite a large selection of colorful pillows that aren’t down (I’m allergic to down). If you like down pillows, Home Goods has a large selection of them.

• Bess04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree! Pillows came with couch. Waiting on rug decision for color of pillows.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Pick a color or two from your rug for your color accents. Draperies or simple panels in red and tan stripes or a simple pattern would bring color up onto the walls. Art over the mantel will distract from the mantel if you don’t like it. Art on the other walls will bring in more color. Hang art centered at eye level to an average adult.
    The house looks wonderful. The floors and rug are beautiful, and you have done a great job selecting furnishings. All you need is the art and window treatments.

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Following