Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsgotime

Curb appeal - garage door and exterior colors

B C
5 years ago

I'd like to get some ideas on how I can improve the curb appeal of my home. We hate the brick color, but I don't think there is much we can do about that. The current roof, shutters and front door are black.

Considering changing the garage door to a carriage style in a dark mahogany vs black. If we change to dark mahogany, we will likely need to change the shutters and the front porch railing and front door to match. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

House · More Info

House · More Info

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

There is always the option of painting the brick veneer of your home. It is a popular way to treat brick these days and, honestly, it's appeal is timeless. Be aware that once painted brick can never be unpainted without causing extensive damage. Not sure about the dark garage door although I do think a carriage style would better suite. Good luck and please post "after" photos.

• B C
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far! Concerning the garage door colors....here are three different mockups: slate gray, black, traditional white. Let me know your thoughts!

House · More Info

House · More Info

House · More Info

• wysmama
    5 years ago
    I like the black garage doors the best in your mock ups
  • Brandy Smith
    5 years ago
    This house would be stunning lime washed or painted white! If you use the right product it doesn’t come with a lot of maintenance like people think of with painted brick. Painted, lime washed, and German smear brick are VERY popular where I live. It wouldn’t hurt home value at all here. I think it would add instant curb appeal to you home! Romabio is the brand I’d look into. Here are some homes done using the product. The great thing about their lime wash product is if you put it on and decide you don’t like it you can spray it off for up to like 3 days. I plan on using it on my home soon.
  • mccarthy367
    5 years ago
    Paint your front door a happy color and fix up the landscaping. Your house looks lovely.
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    I love it just as it is apart from garage door, definitely would paint them black. Change your landscaping
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is how it would look in mahogany.

• Brown Dog
    5 years ago

You have a beautiful home with great landscaping, not sure why you want to make big changes! I would leave the brick & shutters as is. Replace the garage door with a carriage craft door with windows and keep it white (matches your trim). Paint your front door an inviting colour so it stands out. Your house is all neutral colours so you could go with almost any colour (what's your favourite colour?). You could also think about decorating your front door & porch seasonally. One final thing, some of your shrubs in front of your porch are on the verge of becoming overgrown. Might want to tend to those before they get too big to prune. Good luck!!

• chloebud
    5 years ago

I actually like the idea of white for the garage doors in this case. Really helps that the garage doesn't face the front and take up half the house. Agree with the carriage doors with windows suggestion. Beautiful home!