0

Need help with colour schemes!

Brynna
April 10, 2019

I’m moving into a new rental, I need help finding the proper colour scheme and area rug to suit my living room and tan microsuede sofa... my coffee table and end tables are dark mahogany. I‘m hoping to brighten up the space with subtle greens or deep maroon...?

Any advice would be lovely!

• decoenthusiaste

Let's see the tables you mentioned. Are you attached to the sofa? I think a pair of armchairs in its place could work really well, but depends how many regularly will use the room and for what.

• girl_wonder

That room looks great and the floors are in terrific condition. How much do you love that sofa? I’ve somtimes seen sofas on Craigslist’s, excellent condtion, for a good price. Can you post a pic of any of the other furniture you’re using?

• Sheeisback GW

It would help is to see photos of your other furniture so we can make suggestions hat work with the style.

With an area rug you want to make sure it’s the right size and not too small. You can use painters tape to tape the size on the floor for a visual before buying. Ideally you’d want the furniture legs all on, or the front of them on. A good place place to check for rugs is esalerugs.com. They have a lot of options and different price points and free shipping and free returns make it nice.

For accent colors you could use those but make sure your green isn’t too clean of a color. Your sofa is more muted/earth toned. Also if using neutrals I’d make sure you undertones are the same. On my monitor it looks like your couch is pink beige. Looks like the room has a green undertone. I would try and repeat both in fabrics and area rug.

Would also make sure if you want to use a ‘white’ anywhere they you choose creams or off-whites at the brightest because of the earthier couch color.

Maria has lot of good advice about clean vs dirty colors and undertones.

https://www.mariakillam.com/clean-vs-dirty-colours/