Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivyloudiy

Kitchen Remodel - Cabinet Colors and white tile

Ivy Lou
5 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen and am stuck on a few design decisions. I initially picked BM Kendall Charcoal for my base cabinets and BM Dove Wing for the uppers. I recently painted my office with Dove Wing matte on the walls and satin on the trim and really like how it turned out. I don't like super white and contrasting trim. However, for my kitchen, I'm worried about Dove Wing looking dingy/yellow, especially compared to the bright white Fireclay backsplash I chose. I also looked at BM White Dove but it's definitely too yellow/creamy. The other options I might look at next are Cloud Cover and Vanilla Milkshake. I still love Dove Wing in my house, so I will probably still use that color on walls and on other areas that are adjacent to the kitchen. Should I be worried about all these off-whites with different undertones looking weird when they are near each other?

All the Options Together

Countertops

- Teltos Quartz White Pearl

Backsplash

- Fireclay Tile, 2x6 White Wash, Herringbone pattern

Would it help warm up the backsplash if I chose a light warm gray for the grout? Or should I think about getting a completely different color of tile for the backsplash? All suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Matching whites can be hard, so if you're planning on using Dove Wing for the trim and walls I'd use it for the cabinets too.

If the backsplash is the issue drop it. Don't even worry about picking one until everything else is installed. They have warmer white backsplashes, or you could go for something else like a light grey or even a color. But i wouldn't let a backsplash sway you on a cabinet color, especially if you really like it.

Ivy Lou thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like the idea of waiting to do the backsplash last. However, I'm pretty much set on using Fireclay's tile in their White Wash color. I've already looked at their off-white and creamier samples and did not like them. I specifically want their 2x6 size tiles and I can get their lower price per square foot because White Wash is in their Foundations collection. I can't find a 2x6 tile anywhere other than Fireclay Tiles.

TLDR: The White Wash tile is the backsplash choice. So I think I need to pick a new cabinet color.

I am getting samples of Cloud Cover, Simply White, Vanilla Milkshake, and Oxford White soon. There's also the option of just doing the upper cabinets the same as the base cabinets (Kendall Charcoal). I just don't want to make it too dark in my kitchen. My kitchen's layout essentially has no bare walls. It's either backsplash or cabinets. So the wall of cabinets I thought would be better in white to help lighten up the space.

• L thomas
    5 years ago

As the first commenter said - mixing whites can be tough. Cooler whites tend to bring out yellows and pinks in warmer whites. I wouldn't let myself be hemmed in by the tile. While 2x6 isn't as readily available as the ubiquitous 3x6 subway - it's around. Some others to look at are Heath, Pratt and Larsen, Sonoma, Ann Sacks. They all have a 2x6 in many white options.

Ivy Lou thanked L thomas
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh no... more tile samples for me. LOL! I did not find those places in my search, thanks

• calidesign
    5 years ago

I think you can make all your first choices work. Remember that placement and the different vertical or horizontal surfaces will change the colors, and lighting will also affect the color you see. You will have light reflection from the tile, may have under cabinet lighting, and the tile is recessed underneath the cabinets. Install the cabinets and countertops, and then check the backsplash color one final time in your space to make sure it's okay. You could use a very soft grey grout which would also affect the tile color.

Ivy Lou thanked calidesign
  • rinked
    5 years ago

But but but.. You chose Dove Wing for your uppers, but think it clashes with the backsplash? Something went wrong there..

• Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well technically, I chose Dove Wing for the walls and trim in my office. I loved it, so then I thought I could use Dove Wing for the kitchen cabinets... but there's a lot more you have to coordinate with kitchens. Dove Wing was looking too cream in my kitchen, so that's why I made this post asking for advice :)

• Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I dropped my initial backsplash choice since it was too stark white. Thanks everyone who gave advice on that and specifically about waiting to do backsplash last. I'm picking my cabinet colors first and not restricting my choices just for the tile.

I've looked at a ton of color samples and have narrowed it down to 3. I can't decide what I like most or what color works the best with my countertops. FYI, Teltos White Pearl is very similar to Caesarstone Frosty Carrina. I know that is a popular countertop choice, so that might help with any advice you may have for me since it seems like not as many people have used Teltos vs Caesarstone.

All options have Kendall Charcoal as the lower cabinets.

White Dove

Is light and neutral. Just a bit of warmth and enough gray to work with the countertops. An obviously popular cabinet color choice.

Dove Wing

Similar warmth and gray undertone as White Dove, but darker. Will play off the marble-like veins in the quartz.

Barely There

This one has more of a brown/gray undertone whereas the other ones have a touch of yellow. I do like how there is less yellow and it appears more neutral (maybe leans more peach?). I cannot find a lot of info about this color online. Must not be a popular choice... I mean, come on Benjamin, this is one of the most boring color names.

Any advice or do you have a favorite? Have any other color suggestions? Or are these colors so similar that I am just splitting hairs??

• Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is the combination I'm leaning towards. Funny how I first thought White Dove was too yellow. I had to let go of my initial subway tile that was too stark white. The White Gloss is a softer white.

I'm sure I can't go wrong with that combo. I'll post pictures when it's all done. Thanks everyone!