Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen214

Painting soft close hinges or not

Ellen
5 years ago

We have new cabinets. They will be painted soon. What is standard regarding painting of the inside hinges? Paint them to match interior of cabinets? Or have painter mask off? I see lots of thread on painting exposed hinges, but haven't found discussion of the ones that only show when you open cabinet. Thanks for your input.

Comments (11)

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

New cabinets should be finished off site by the cabinet maker before they are installed. Period, full stop. Existing cabinets only have the boxes painted on site when you want to change color.

Painted hinges are an abomination. Painted in place cabinets are an abomination. The doors and drawer fronts should always be removed and painted offsite, or at least in your garage if you are going to DIY. If your “paint guy” isn’t going to do the following, fire him now before he ruins your house.

Here is how I would expect a pro to spray paint kitchen cabinets. An amateur job should follow the same path. A brush painted job would differ slightly in that you wouldn't hang the doors to paint. You'd place them on a work table or easel instead. It's time intensive work, and should take 7-14 days to accomplish completely and cost between 7K-9K depending on kitchen size and amount of detail in cabinets.

Remove doors and drawer fronts.

Remove hinges and hardware.

Clean well with a degreaser, wipe with mineral spirits.

RINSE and let dry.

Scrape any loose finish.

Fill any damaged spots or hardware holes that won't be reused.

Sand fill smooth.

Scuff sand the rest.

Tack off dust.

Hang in dust free paint booth with wires through hardware points.

Tack off dust again.

Spray with SHELLAC based primer.

Scuff sand again.

Tack off dust.

Spray with second coat of primer.

Spray with first finish coat of conversion varnish for a Pro, or a polyurethane enamel if you are DIY.

Spray with second coat.

If glazing is to occur, that is next. (Don’t)

Spray with compatible clear over glaze

Add more molding or decorative details to boxes, filling nail holes and sanding smooth.

Repeat prep process with face frames and exposed cabinet sides using plastic to create a spray booth on site. If interiors are to be done, they are done before face frames and sides. Interiors are difficult, and add both time and expense to the job. Most interiors are laminate and don't accept paint well.

Allow everything to fully cure. That's 7-14 days.

Clean hinges and hardware and clear coat if you're keeping the old hardware.

Install new (or old) hinges and hardware.

Re-install doors and drawers and adjust for proper clearances.

If you are receiving or doing a job without this amount of effort, then you are not getting a quality job.

• Ellen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I figured I'd receive comments about onsite vs offsite. Thanks they WILL be painted onsite. It's quite the standard in this area, and I've chosen not to worry about it, as I've seen them and they are fine. I just needed input about the hinges. I tend to lean toward wanting them not to be painted, as well.

• wacokid
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you are going to leave the hinges on during painting, mask them off (I would have them removed during painting and not paint them). If you want to paint the hinges here is a good link

https://www.hunker.com/13413352/how-to-paint-metal-hinges

• Cyndy
    5 years ago

I understand having cabinets painted onsite, We are having bathroom cabinets made and installed unfinished. We will be finishing them - one painted and one stained You still need to remove doors and hinges/hardware to paint onsite. No to painted hinges! When everything is super dry -several days - then reattach the hardware and reinstall the doors and drawers. I would still not let them close for about 2 weeks to allow the paint to harden.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Have the doors removed, and the hinges taken off. I dont like the look when people paint over old hinges, and I understand why in some cases. You sure dont want any paint on brand new hinges.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

There is no way a good painter would leave hinges on when painting so maybe get a getter painter and BTW just because people in your area do on site does not make it good. cabinets should be sprayed in a spray booth with conversion varnish finish.

• Ellen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Patricia Colwell, I understand that off-site would be ideal. but the cabinets are in, they aren't going to remove them.
  • km kane
    5 years ago
    No one is suggesting you remove the cabinets, we are saying to remove the doors and the hardware. You can’t get a good job with door on
  • paintguy22
    5 years ago

If they are new cabinets, why would you paint hinges? Anything that moves should never be painted as the paint will just fall off eventually because of the moving parts rubbing. The only time we would paint hardware is when they are already painted and replacing them isn't in the budget.

Ellen thanked paintguy22
  • HU-123886733
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just returned home to find that my painter had painted my hinges on my new cabinets with hidden soft close hardware. And the drawer slides. the first of several coats (this was just the initial primer.). I am fairly upset at the moment. How can drawer slides or cabinet hinges work with 3 coats of paint? He said he would replace them. I imagine I will be getting the bill. He was recommended by so many people. I had no idea he was not going to remove the doors/drawers. I guess all details need to be fully discussed.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022