Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalia_danelich

Kitchen Sink in Island vs Near Window? Please help!

Natalia Danelich
5 years ago
Coming across a dilemma in customizing our kitchen. I have attached the architectural drawing, where I can move around the cabinets and appliances. I will only have one main sink.

Does the sink need to be located near the window or in the island (as pictured)? If as pictured, does the counter space near the sink empty look awkward? I like that everything is close (sink-fridge-oven), if placing the sink in the counter.

We will have a tall cabinet with steam oven, microwave, mini TV near the fridge.

Comments (9)

• Pam A
    5 years ago

Hmmm, I would normally say you would be better off to put the sink near the window because it would take away the conflict between someone working at the stove and someone else trying to clean up (the dishwasher opens into the cook in the current plan). But if we keep the rest of it the same, then the sink is now a LONG way from the fridge. And that's not ideal.

Had you considered moving the fridge and the sink to the wall with the windows? If you removed the corner cabinet & used that for a fridge alcove, that might be nice. You would be putting the fridge close to the edge of the kitchen, so if you are working no one is passing into your work space to get a drink. And it leaves the island wide open for prep work with guests at the counter, or for using as a serving area (buffet type serving).

I'm biased, I have an island with nothing useful in it (except the microwave drawer) and I love having a big open space when I'm baking or doing a big kitchen project (like breaking down a few smoked pork shoulders or decorating Christmas cookies with a couple friends). So I will always vote for an island that is just a giant work space - it really depends on YOU, though. Do you like having a sink in the island?

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

I prefer my islands to be sink/stove top free. IMO people naturally gather around islands, and no one wants to gather around a sink (and even the best of us don't always stay on top of dirty dishes).

I'd move the sink in front of the window, and move the fridge so it's near it on that wall too. I don't love that corner cabinet so put the fridge there. Another benefit of moving the fridge means it will no longer be in the way of that opening and blocking a traffic path.

You may want to consider losing the kitchen desk as well. Most people are taking them out because A) they become junk collectors and B) people use phones/tablets/laptops these days which can be taken anywhere.

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

Your plan wastes a lot of space no matter where the sink is. The only sink in the island makes a work triangle, but it’s tiny, the island is too small, and there’s no counter space where you need it. Then what would you do with all the counter under the windows??? $$$$ But the only sink can’t be that far away.

solutions:

Prep sink in island, cleanup sink under windows.

or

Get fridge on window side of room

No matter what, don’t have the cabinets on the left side turn the corner. You can change the other angled upper so it doesn’t look weird.

See if you can fit fridge, window with sink, stove where it is, rotate island 90 degrees.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The window wall is crying out for a sink. I always prefer a clear island, all work space, with nothing to clutter it up. And it's not too small at all--a 7' x 3' island is perfect. Not a fan of those huge hulking islands that make a kitchen look like a diner.

I'd not have the upper corner cabinets on that window wall either. Have the upper cabinets on the range wall die into the adjacent wall.

But the underlying problem is that the room is so large (20 feet long!!) that the refrigerator is too far from the work area. I think you need to rethink the entire space.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

If doing that layout then the sink in island to keep cooking workflow close.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

In the layout your fridge will be sticking out past door casing. That's necessary if doing that layout for fridge doors to be able to open. A wider filler may be able to make it better or consider reconfiguring that wall some.

Before ordering cabinets. Get fridge model # & installation manual to designer, installer,etc to check needed door fridge clearances.

example to look for

Prevent this...

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

Kitchen sink by the window is the ideal place in any kitchen.

I don't wanna brag but when I just got married, and we had a home welcome party, everyone left it was about 1am, sink full of dishes and my wife said "s^*t I still have a sink full of pans to do" I told her do it tomorrow don't worry bout and she said I rather do it now and get it over with... So while she was doing that I was sitting in the kitchen keeping her company, I was messing around and came up with a poem about that... she showed it to friends, etc some even said I had a gift for this*cough* so here it is.:-)

The kitchen sink near the window :-)

Kitchen window, kitchen sink, dishes are filled almost to the brink

But as you stare into the bit of the sky with a mountain of dishes being piled inside, the beauty of stars make you feel better inside

And as soon as you done with that last stubborn pot,

You look up and the moon in the sky leaves that shiny glow on your beautiful face.

Now keep in mind this "copyrighted" so if you want to use it donations are welcomed LOL

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    5 years ago

@GN Builders L.L.C . Saw your poem and made me think of this pic that one of my customers sent me LOL

Happy Easter All !!!