0
jim1961_gw

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 3

NEW SPRING THREAD........PART 3

Spring is here everyone! For some of you things are hopping already.

Some of us have to wait awhile longer but soon we all will have blooms :-)

I get excited each Spring just seeing leaves sprouting...lol

Have fun everyone and enjoy posting comments and photos! Thank you all!

• vaporvac

Deborah, I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad, but happy that he is mobile and has you around. Happy Birthday in case I forget later!

• altorama Ray

One of the gardens at night

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Lovin everyones photos! And thanks everyone for posting pics and the great conversations!

Cold here tonight with a frost expected....Tomorrows temps look good though...:-)

• altorama Ray

This is the birdhouse outside my upstairs window. It used to be on a post in the garden but squirrels kept chewing on it.

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***

Here are a few of mine, so far... half of my tulips are up and I am SO excited, this is my first year with tulips, I decided last year that maybe it was not so bad of an idea to have tulips, so I grabbed a bunch of them and started them int he ground, I am IN LOVE!

• altorama Ray

Roxana they are so pretty!

• vaporvac

That is so cheery looking!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

:-) Wonderful photos! WOwser everyone!

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    Love the tulips! I had some, because our climate is great for them, but the critters (squirrels & rabbits) ruin them. The squirrels dig them up & if one isn't found a rabbit will snip off the buds. I'm now focused on Alliums. Everything seems to leave them alone. I can see them coming up now, and they are multiplying since last year. If they do well I will plant even more this fall!

@vaporvac - the swimspa is like a larger hot tub. It will not be enclosed, but can be run year long. Has a cover to keep temperatures good. It's about 15 x 8 feet. Has a swim bay for doing laps or playing, with an adjustable current. Then the end area has a couple of jacuzzi seats with jets. We also added a fountain & light package for ambiance. Can't wait to have a swim & a cocktail or two in it, lol! The biggest issue is that it is sitting on our very flat backyard. So we need to build decking and steps around it to make it look good in the yard. We want to create an outdoor room idea, so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. So I need to create gardens, walkway to incorporate everything. May not be all done this year, because of time & mostly budget. Between the cost of the unit, running electrical, concrete pad & lumber it's getting pricey. I have a feeling by the time that's paid for my husband is going to get cheap on me for making everything pretty! I will attach pictures of some ideas we want to incorporate. Houzz is great for finding inspiration.
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

So this is the kind of thing we need to do, but the styling will be different.

• vaporvac

I've researched them for a while myself. I think you are going to love this especially if you swim laps. The bottom photo is gorgeous. That's what I'd be shooting for!

• summersrhythm_z6a

You could also have a lap pool ( narrow and long) in the backyard. :-)

• oursteelers 8B PNW

This is gonna look so good! I can’t wait to see pictures!

• Desertgarden-Las Vegas, Z 9/W. PA Z 6

For Lily or anyone interested or unfamiliar with the following...

I use to follow this blogger http://www.organicgardendreams.com/2017/07/

She is an organic gardener in the San Diego area. I think she stopped posting a couple of years ago, but there are six years of her rose growing/gardening info. in the archives. There is a lot of information there, maybe something useful... She showcases the beauty that can be created with a smaller space.

Also, I believe Hoovb gardens in Orange County, which is just north of San Diego County, with weather that can be very similar to yours.

Her earlier blogging days focused more so on rose growing: https://pieceofeden.blogspot.com

Lily, these blogs will give you a glimpse of a lot of what you can grow in Southern California :)

Be sure to go to Balboa State Park in San Diego. Your daughter will likely love it!!! AND, there is a public rose garden there. There will be so much to do... year round! I have images somewhere???

Edited... here are the ones I posted

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/1650854/several-images-from-the-inez-grant-parker-rose-garden-san-diego#n=5

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

That is an awesome pool! Also can’t wait to see photos ! There is nothing better than cooling off in a pool. Especially after gardening !!

Roxane , your photos are so beautiful. I have a nice camera but must learn how to use it properly. I must !! I Love your style of photos.

Well last update here so I don’t bore anyone. We move out Tuesday and Wednesday of next week , then hotel life for an unknown amount of time while husband trains and replaces himself. May 4th -6 we look for a home in Ca . A few homes have pools we are so hoping stay on the market so we can see ! I decided I must have a pool of you are taking away my acre . Lol also it’ll be hot and I’ll be so pregnant I plan on living there ;)

once we get a home I’ll share photos !

aww thanks desert garden!! I am going to read these now. You guys are all so awesome and supportive!!! What incredible friends !!

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Desertgarden, Christina (Organic Garden Dreams) is more active on Instagram, now and Lilyfinch follows her. I miss her blog posts, but she has a gorgeous gallery on IG. I had lost track of Piece of Eden and so glad to have that link again. Thanks!! Hope Jen sees this.

This is the first I've seen your pics in the last link. So beautiful. I'll go back and take a longer, closer look.

• Desertgarden-Las Vegas, Z 9/W. PA Z 6

No wonder!! I do not facebook, Instagram, tweet or any of that social media stuff, Flowers. GW/Houzz is as close as I get to that. I wonder if Instagram is what happened to:

Rosamane: http://rosomanes.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=13

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Desertgarden, I was losing track of my roses in my phone pics, so decided IG was a good way to keep a pictorial record of my roses with names, dates and other info.

Yes, what happened to Rosamane (Masha)? She grew wonderful teas. Great blog to go back through.

• vaporvac

Great links. Thanks all. I've never seen rosomane's blog before. Probably a lot of people whose blogs were low on information, but high on pictures went to instagram. Yes Lily, you'll now be able to grow roses such as Disneyland without worrying about BS. I would also insist on a pool, especially as you can use it there most of the year.

• Sylvia Wendel

Lilyfinch, when you are pregnant in summer, you NEED a pool. Back in 1988 before our son was born, I bought a 4’ deep collapsible pool and spent the summer sitting in it. I may have looked ridiculous, but I didn’t care.

Good luck with your househunting!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

A few pics from today.

Teasing Georgia

I cut one of my Olivia Austins down pretty hard to get it bushier early this spring. The flowers are kinda messed up from the hard rain storms when they were buds but still kinda pretty. It was almost as tall as the TG that shares this trellis. I bet it catches back up real quick. It is bushier now.

Olivia with TG

Oh look, New Victims :) These came last week but Im just getting around to posting them. Anyone grow any of these?

Niles Cochet, Duchesse de Brabrant, Elie Beauvilain, Mlle. Franziska Kruger. MFK got smashed and was somehow upside down in the box. No clue how that happened but its a little smooshed down but the stem didnt break.

• vaporvac

I grow duchesse de brabant but it's still in a pot. Beautiful flowers and a gorgeous scent. I think it's a bloomer.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Nanadoll, how you doing and how are things your way?

• summersrhythm_z6a

I hope Diane is doing well!

Lily, Pool sounds great. I hope there is no water shortage in your new town. It needs a lot of water to fill up a pool. When we replaced the liner last summer, we had to order 3 trucks water (about $1000), plus kept water hose running for about 24 hours to fill it up, we have well water (free water). The water price in CA might be much higher than PA.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I grow all of your new ones Sultry, and they are great. They will all take right off and grow quickly. My Elie did not enjoy pot living and is in perfect health planted. They are all even better than you hope they will be.

MFK
    Niles first year.
    Baby Niles
    I don't have D of Brabant photos, and Elie as a first year. I'll do better this year.

• pippacovalent

Grape hyacinths blooming in my garden

Rainbow's End mini rose from HCR with a cheater bloom on it :)

• vaporvac

I'm glad to see you with a new Rose Gym.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Sheila, Niles and MFK are doing so great for you. Does MFK repeat well for you? I almost changed my mind several times about MFK, taking it in and out of my cart. I was worried that it wouldn't be a good bloomer based on some of the reviews I had read. It is soo beautiful that I decided to take a chance lol. Your beautiful MFK is very encourging!

I learned of Elie from reading Masha's bog a few years ago and always wanted to try her.

Vaporvac, Duchess de Brabrant has been on my list for so long. Im glad I finally ordered her. Mine will probably also stay in a pot for a while. The place I planned to plant her, has been overgrown with the Love & Wishes Salvia which has got 6ft wide x 6ft tall which is mucher larger than I predicted. I cut it back but it just regrows bigger and fuller. If the bees and hummingbirds didnt love it so much I would just keep it small or move it.

Now, I have four potentially large pink climbers that I will need to find a place for (Colette, Elie, Blossomtime, & Florence Bower's Pink Tea) They are all kinda similar toned pinks so I don't want to plant them all together lol. I also need to figure out what to plant with them to best complement their colors. I have an extra Olivia and an extra Quicksilver so I could use those two. I need to build some new trellises or something. I wish my trees weren't so shady. I have more spindly trees but they are way to far from where the hoses can reach. If I get too far into the woods, the deer will eat them lol.

I have wanted Niles Cochet for so long. I think his colors are unmatched and unique! Now I have all the Cochets but my other two (pink and white Maman) are climbers.

pippa, I bet those hyacinths smell wonderful! I used to grow those in a cooler climate. I havent tried them here. Your mini rose is so endearing. Does it have a fragrance?

Diane I hope you are feeling better soon and can enjoy your fabulous rose season and holiday wuth your fanily. I hope they are helping you out and pampering you.

Lily, a pool when you are preggo is a godsend. I carried 2 of my babies through the summers in Phoenix in the last months. Those last 3 mos were hell lol. Lots of staying indoors. It will be an adventure living in a hotel for awhile. Order lots of room service and watch lots of cable tv lol. I would say plan out your new garden but it would be hard not knowing the layout of the yard yet. I guess you could research all the Calif native plants and exciting new ones that you will be able to grow! Much of what I grew in Calif also does well here. Many tropicals do great in Calif and AZ, even. They just may require more watering. Is the hotel you are staying in, going to be in Calif? If so, you could take a bunch of little day trips to garden centers and botanical gardens.

Is everyone (who celebrates it) getting ready for Easter? I have the menu planned and that's about it lol.

• Desertgarden-Las Vegas, Z 9/W. PA Z 6

A lot of the homes in CA, LV, AZ already have pools in place. My two cents would be if it was built more than five years ago, make sure it and the equipment are inspected (could require a specific request). I think they check gates etc. too, helping to ensure little ones are kept safe when there is a pool at home. Our kids learned to swim at a very early age, but there were always play dates, family visiting with small kids, etc.

Easter- A trip to Honey Baked Ham (ham, turkey and side dishes...)...

Pippaacovalent - I love the bloom color of your hyacinth.

Was trying to add to and deleted part of the post....

• pippacovalent

Sultry Jasmine, I didn't detect any fragrance from Rainbows End and it's rare for me to plant roses without fragrance, but it's the cutest thing I just had to have it. I figured with a short mini rose it would be too far to bend down to smell anyway.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Sultry, MFK is constantly in profuse bloom here. I got a mislabled rose I now think is a second MFK and I am thrilled, because the first one is so great. I have not experienced any of the problems some have had at this location. I am also surprised by Niles' constant bloom here. He seems like a very happy guy.

On the color front, Elie and Blossomtime are cooler pinks. FBPT and Colette are warmer colors and FBPT get to be a more intense saturated color if that helps.

This is baby FBPT but the blooms could darken too later.

• summersrhythm_z6a

I remember Corri Ann got her pool filed due to water shortage and maintenance repairs. Hopefully Lily would get a pool without those issues. :-)

We will bake lamb for Easter dinner. Just lamb with salad since I don’t know much about cooking. Lol

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Sultry, my garden might be a mid May peaker I hope. I am going to Italy May 1-9 this year to see Ninfa near Rome. It is supposed to be "the most romantic garden in the world". Ingrid, in S Cal seemed to report her peak should be about 2 weeks from now. I hope mine waits until I get back from Italy. As you all would know, it it is really hard to leave one's own garden in Spring. I figure I need to bite the bullet and get over there now to have further inspiration, and in theory my garden could improve with maturity and there would be less reason and ability to leave in the future. I never really want to leave in Spring, but Ninfa is the same latitude as my home, so I need to go when it is the most beautiful there too. My husband could take photos for me here so I don't miss too much while I am gone. What a dilemma.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Sheila take lots of pics! We want inspiration too!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Lily, I just wanted to check in and wish you traveling mercies.

Praying that you find just the right home and that you will feel totally at peace with your decision prayers for healthy pregnancy in this move and may you be blessed in your new home for many years to come

.

• altorama Ray

This bloomed today, no idea where it came from!

• summersrhythm_z6a

Be strong Lily! I know you are moving out this week! Don’t cry too much, a new beginning is waiting for you!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Found these pics of when I messed around putting sugar into Mister Lincoln water in a vase and I turned Mister Lincoln purple-ish...lol

• Desertgarden-Las Vegas, Z 9/W. PA Z 6

Wow!!! What a gorgeous bloom, Jim.

• Lisa Adams
    What lovely pictures! I do love tulips, and Duchess de Brabant is always blooming here. I’m sure you’re going to love her. Sheila I can’t wait to see your trip photos! What an adventure.
    I’m down with a sore throat and stuff, so I’m keeping this short. Yesterday, I had to get my car serviced and really didn’t feel like keeping that appointment! I did, and they had a shuttle that took me to the Carlsbad Flower Fields. I just went into the nursery in front, and didn’t pay admission to go into the actual fields. I saw many lovely plants, and roses. I took a few pictures to share. Lilyfinch, here’s a nursery you’re going to like!
    Can you see the flower fields behind the roses? Lisa
  • pippacovalent

One of several cuttings, this one of John Cabot, doing great!! I just stuck it in the ground last Fall. It has a little leaf thingy starting :)

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Thanks so much kristine , sultry and summers !!! You all made me smile. We will be packed on Tuesday, moved out on Wednesday. I need to feel a little more pressure to start cleaning ! lol

I will definitely make sure pool is safe and all precautions taken. I grew up with an above ground pool and I don’t remember childhood without it! We would wake before my parents and swim til we were forced out. Waited the mandatory 30 min after eating so you don’t drown ( ha !! ) and stayed til dinner. It was awesome! But yes summers water is very expensive so if a pool dosnt already exist we probably won’t be adding one . But this mama needs one !

I love seeing photos of the nursery Lisa ! I can’t wait !! wahoooooo!

Sultry we stay here in Nashville until mother’s day .. then I think we head out west but it’s not 100 percent yet ! So I’ll be doing lots of free activities with Lucia to keep busy !

Love all the photos here !! Love my friends here too , you guys are awesome !

Great job pippa !!

Sheila I hope you’ll flood us with photos !!

• Sylvia Wendel

Jim, loved your purple Mr. Lincoln. How much sugar did you use? I wonder what would happen if I dunked a Munstead Wood in sugar water — not now, but later in the summer when the blooms turn pink in the heat. What an original idea!

I probably won’t be posting over the next two days as the Great Battle of Passover approaches. So far it’s Bad Chicken Soup 3, Sylvia 0. Now I get DH to make it. He apparently is not jinxed as I am at the soup kettle. One year I actually poured the soup down the drain, thinking it was just the water I boiled the matzo balls in ... a dozen people sitting waiting for their soup, and I had to explain that Brain Death had struck again. Some cousins may never forgive me.

The menu is set, the goodies are bought, the guest list is finalized (hopefully no surprise new boyfriends/girlfriends this year — it’s happened before), and now “all” I have to do I put the leaves on the table, get out grandmother’s china,, inspect the wine glasses, give a swipe to the silver, pull out a tablecloth that’s hopefully not too stained (or that hides stains, heh heh), set the table — and then start cooking. And baking: I am crazy for desserts and just acquired a snazzy ice cream maker. Anyone in the vicinity of Santa Clarita, CA, this Friday night, please join us for a slice of sponge cake and some homemade strawberry ice cream after dinner!

Happy Passover and Happy Easter to all my wonderful rose friends. May we all have roses on our tables.

Sylvia

• vaporvac

Great pictures gy What an experiment. Lisa you're going to make us all jealous now . m.

• vaporvac

I wish I could join you Sylvia! Your table setting sounds beautiful. For me that's half the fun and it just makes everything taste better.

• summersrhythm_z6a

Sylvia, it sounds like you are going to have a big party! You must know how to cook! Take some photos of your tasty food for us please. :-) We can have a online Easter party here!

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Pippa, that's a great looking start to John Cabot. I hope it flourishes and becomes all you hope for. Once he really gets going, he'll grow fast.

Sylvia, go to bed early between now and Friday. And, maybe pop an extra vitamin or two. That's a lot of work. I can relate to pouring the soup down the drain. I'm a walking disaster in the kitchen. I'm not a cook, but, I do make soup. Soup all winter and salads all summer. Anything else is a gamble.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

There are so many things I want to comment on, sweet pets, wonderful roses, the different things you're all involved with, but I began to get tired just reading this thread, and can't write now, I'm so sorry. I wish you all the best, and especially you Lily with your move coming up, and your pregnancy, I hope you take good care of yourself. I'd love to meet you once you're settled in at your new home. Your garden is so absolutely beautiful, and with your talent I'm sure you'll create another one that's equally wonderful.

• altorama Ray

Still a lot of time to wait for the roses.

Most are leafed out now but not all.

Species tulip