0
roselee_gw

Eric and Dave's After Swap Open Garden

roselee z8b S.W. Texas

After what promised to be a beautiful day it turned dark and gloomy with rain, lightning, and even some hail while the threat of tornadoes hung in the air. Then as if on cue the clouds parted allowing sun and blue skies to greet the visitors to Eric and Dave's open garden. The only problem with that is it's hard to take good photos when the sun is bright, but here goes ...

The pond is gorgeous! Flashes of gold could be seen from what were tiny gold fish a few months ago ...

...

One of these days I'm going to take pictures on a cloudy day so the pond can be appreciated ...

...

Color was everywhere ...

...

...

...

...

...

Plants were growing out of every crack and cranny. Plume poppies

...

And ferns ...

...

But in this garden it is the trees and the foliage that are most impressive ...

...

As well as the many wicked dyckias, cacti and agaves ...

...

...

Humongous palms take center stage, but I have no photos to do them justice. Dave tells a funny story about digging a hole in which a small car could disappear into and watching Eric plant a tiny palm. Now that takes visions folks -- and it paid off!

The garden art was appreciated ...

...

...

More next post ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Views from the inside out were impressive as well ...

...

...

...

"Impressive" views include the kitchen window where one looks out onto a giant tree trunk while washing dishes. The roof was modified more than once to accommodate the tree. Quote: "Lord help us if there is ever a mention of cutting one down!"

...

Dave says he expects the whole house to be raised several feet as the tree grows ...

Here are the guys responsible for all this beauty and inspiration: Eric and Dave with Mara, who like me wouldn't have missed this for the world! Incidentally, we were the last to leave ... :-)

...

Thank you Dave and Eric for the delicious food and punch. The blueberry pound cake was outstanding!

I wish I had gotten photos of the guests. Hopefully someone took pictures at the swap.

Past posts on this garden are HERE, HERE, and HERE

Happy gardening!

• mamachile
    Love these photos Ragna. We had to scoot early so didn’t get a chance to finish the guided tour. However many Thanks to Eric and Dave.
    roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked mamachile
  • loreleicomal

Thank you so much Dave and Eric!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked loreleicomal
  • loreleicomal

I keep trying to add pictures and it won’t let me☹️

• bostedo (8a tx-dfw-blackland prairie)

Thanks for sharing the photos. Certainly a wonderful garden spot and appreciated seeing how nicely the pond turned out now that the water, plants, and fish are in it.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked bostedo (8a tx-dfw-blackland prairie)
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Bostedo, you posted a link once that Eric had made about his garden, but I couldn't find his post yesterday. It used to be that one could search for a post under the poster's name, but not anymore. Will you please post a link to it again? Thank you.

Lorelei, I hope you can find a way to post your photos. I'd sure like to see them.

• bostedo (8a tx-dfw-blackland prairie)

Believe that was the 2017 garden projects that made my own project list seem almost rational. :-)

• loreleicomal

Apparently it’s onlyletting me post 2 a day. I’ll try later tonight.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Great photos! Eric estimates the tree to be 700 to 1000 years old. I hope I got that right. If not I'll blame it on Mara ... ;-)

Lorelei, it weird that you can't post more photos. I got carried away and posted 13 above. I thought I would lose the whole post, but tried it anyway since I'd noticed that others had posted a bunch at once. Not long ago the limit was 4.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked abarbie4me2
  • mamachile
    Lorelei, do you think you’ve got some kind of special quota posting only two blooming pictures a day?
    Anyway Ragna I think that tree is Mara’s 13th cousin many times removed by sap dna.
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas

"Mamachile" Mizan, you nailed it about Mara by her own admission! I'm laughing out loud -- big time!

"Barbie" JoAnn, thanks for your great photos. You captured one of the magnificent palms that I missed in the 8th from the last photo. Love 'um all!

• loreleicomal

I’ll try some more.

Sorry for this repeat!

Sorry about the repeat, don’t know how to delete it!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Lorelei, I'm glad you tried again; and especially for the last photo. I had noticed the unusual spreading shape of the dyckia blooming stalk and meant to get a picture. They usually have one upright stem with flowers along the sides. Wonder if Eric knows what made this one different.

I think those are giant nolinas in the repeat photo. Wish I had room for one. Noticed that Rainbow Gardens had giant nolinas for sale; not sure if it's the same variety.

Notice the orangish color of the foliage on the right of the nolinas? That may be the new growth on Mexican mahonias. What a beautiful plant.

The swath of soap aloes is really pretty in combination with the agaves and cactus.

• mamachile
    Ragna, I thought it looks like a ballet dancer doing a twirl.