0
liz_hill25

Patterned tile on shower floor- size of tile

Liz H

Is it possible to use the 8" x 8" patterned tile (not cement tile but porcelain or ceramic) on a shower floor? The tile store said it isn't possible unless we use a linear drain. Our centered drain is already plumbed.

• Liz H

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking but I wanted to check with some others.

JAN MOYER

Don't do it.

• Melissa R

I think the reason they say it can't be done is because it could be dangerous? Bigger tiles have less grout so they can be more slippery and slippery is dangerous

JAN MOYER

Slippery, pitch to the drain, and show me a flexible tile please? A problem waiting to happen and just don't do it.

Skippack Tile & Stone

They are generally too big for center drain; without knowing your pattern selected can they be cut down to a better size?

JAN MOYER

You see a lot of "next level" skill here on showers? I see quite the opposite in the trail of tears in the the shower puddles......................: )

You CAN scale Everest. At the perfect time of year, with a Sherpa, for about one week of any given year, with the fitness level of an Olympian and the planning of a war general. Which is why so few do it, and so many had S _ _ _ _ luck in the attempt lol.

I personally would rather have smaller tiles than large ones cut to fit like in your example.

Debbi Washburn

Don't do it unless you change the drain. The diagonal cuts that have to be made to the tile as shown in the picture above will change the look AND the difficulty of doing that right is multiplied. We don't install anything like that unless it is with a linear drain.

If you really want it - change the drain.

And of course you must make sure the tile is ok for a shower floor...

Creative Tile Eastern CT

Liz your question was "Is it possible?" It certainly is as TFW showed.

The new question is. How much confidence do you now have in the tile store that told you it was not possible? Are they doing the installation also? Hire wisely.

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.

Just to expand on the above, I recently saw a conversation between multiple tile installers where a younger setter was asking if it could be done. The seasoned setters shared examples like what TFW posted (we call it an "envelope"). The less experienced setters responded that they wouldn't try it. There's some food for thought. We don't do it often as we don't like the look (with most tiles) and our clients would not accept the aesthetic either. On the other hand, you mentioned a patterned tile and I have seen some excellent installations using this method where the envelope cuts were barely visible and further disguised with the perfect grout color and tight joints. But these were done by very experienced pros. So can it be done? Yes. But as Creative said, hire wisely, and really think about the appearance of the finished product.

The Cook's Kitchen

Yes, a next level high end tile installer can do many things that your local “tile guy” can not. First, examine if the rest of your house is in a next level category to have something like that. If so, then begin your search for that high end installer. Have appropriate budget expectations for that skill.

Tile artist extraordinaire Ken Ballin.

GreenDesigns

Most people don’t want to end up with a 40K hall bath in a 250K house.