0
ingrid_vc

Getting Ever Closer to the Big Bang (Of Spring Blooms)

Another two weeks should do it in our area, although in the typical way that everything good must be balanced by something not so good, there has been a double invasion of aphids and mildew. The garden doesn't have quite the fresh and radiant appearance that it had even a week ago, but I refuse to let that dampen my enthusiasm. No one can predict when we'll have another good rainy winter like this one, or such a promising spring, and I'm going to celebrate this one!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Continued here to avoid the heartburn of lost posts or photos.

Aunt Margy's Rose
    Aunt Margy's Rose on the left and Rosette Delizy on the right.

A very happy sea lavender
    Rosette Delizy
    The first bloom of Mme. Leon Pain on the left.
    Mme. Lambard has very pretty blooms this spring.
    A red monkey flower (mimulus) and can you spot the rabbit? This is Bebe, who's been a beloved garden resident since we first spotted her as a baby.
    Duchesse de Brabant coming into bloom on the left and SdlM on the right, which has never stopped blooming.

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

This is going to be a stellar year for you. All that rain, new roses, new protection cages, fresh mulch....just look at it already!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW
  • bart_2015

O, Ingrid, how beautiful! I love Aunt Margy's (wish it were available here), and the sea lavender! and the alyssum! But I couldn't see the rabbit...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked bart_2015
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Love the roses and the view, and agree it’ll be even more amazing in a few days. That statice looks amazing. My mother asked for statice plants , she likes to cut flowers from her garden, so I grew her a flat for Mother’s Day, it’s very easy to start from seed!

Edited to add: Just noticed Miss Squirrel...too cute!

Edited again: It's a little bunny, the ears are covered by a rosemary bush!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • Marlorena-z8 England-

You don't get a Big Bang until you've been through a Black Hole and I think you've been through that just recently in some ways, so delighted things are looking up for you Ingrid and that you are enjoying your rose garden once again... these things mean so much to us all in different ways and we can all take something from it I think.. looking forward to the full explosion ..

I can see little Bebe too ...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Everything looks wonderful! The blooms are of course gorgeous but what I can’t get over is the foliage-so pretty!

And I tried zooming but my phone kept blurring...is Bebe the grey thing behind the wire cage and in front of the brick wall?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Outsteelers, I zoom in for you, Bebe. Very adorable to see nature roaming like that.
    Ingrid, you place looks fantastic and you Spring is finally here. It's beautiful !!
    jin

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

lol i was searching and searching for the rabbit in the last picture.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

Everything is looking so fresh and beautiful Ingrid! I bought Aunt Margy's rose this spring and just planted it. I hope it looks half as good as yours does!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Thanks Jin!

• Krista_5NY

The roses and companions are beautiful, Ingrid. The sea lavender glows, I love the saturated color and it looks great with the roses. The color combinations are spectacular.

The rabbit is cute, charming garden scene...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
  • Lisa Adams

I’m so happy for you, Ingrid! What a difference the rain and rabbit protection has brought. We need to remember that this is possible, in the times we feel like giving up. The rain has brought ew life everywhere. Aunt Margy’s rose has incredible color. Where I not already on overload, I’d be looking for her:-).

I’m impressed with your monkey flowers. I assume they’re from Annie’s? I think I tried a pink and yellow one from there years ago, but I might have given it too much shade. Anyway, yours looks happy and healthy. I’m so glad we have Annie’s to supply us with good companion plants. I hate to think what I’ve spent there, in the last 15 years or so.

The Wild Edric you gave me has a bloom on top of one cane! It’s so nice and cheerful. I don’t dare take a picture to attach here. I don’t like suffering that “heartburn“, either! lol

It’s lovely seeing Bebe on her little shelf above the Mimulus. I’m glad she made it through another winter. Every thing looks wonderful Ingrid! I’m looking forward to seeing more. Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
  • bart_2015

Thanks, Jin,,,but only now do I realize I was looking for the rabbit in the wrong photo...

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    You guys are welcome. I remembered I could not find it at times until I got a newer phone.. zooming helps. I am glad that I can help someone else in pics when I used to have same issues :)

I really want that sea lavender but have not bought it yet. It's been over a year and I such a procrastinator. Most likely I will put it off for another year or so...lol

jin
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    Sweet little BeBe! The weather has been ideal for roses here near Pasadena. I am guessing similar for you too based on the lovely blooms in your garden. This morning while sitting on my new patio (patio old but new cover & furniture) admiring my new garden with lots of baby roses, a House Finch flew in and landed on the string of hanging lights. Then I noticed a nest started under a beam. It seems a bit of a precarious narrow ledge, but now I know why I have been serenaded by beautiful music each morning this past week. I hope they stay. Maybe I should add a nest box a foot from their chosen spot and give them a little more room? I could make a simple box and zip tie it on when they leave so not to disturb them and maybe they will prefer the new digs. I just love watching birds hop amongst the garden plants.
    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • altorama Ray

Gorgeous! Everything looks beautiful!

I have a birdhouse hanging outside my bedroom window, and two have moved in. Luckily I get a lot of birds because they eat those damn green worms that love to eat the roses.

http://www.birdhouses101.com/finch-birdhouses.asp

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked altorama Ray
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I'm still in love with your Sea Lavender! So gorgeous. I'm afraid it would hate our humidity in FL. I wish I could grow it.

Your little Bunbun, Bebe is so cute! Cool to have little wild Easter bunnies running around lol.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Thank you so much for all your dear and wonderful comments. I didn't mean to make finding Bebe so difficult, and thank you, Jin, for helping out.

I wish I could write more but am not so chipper at the moment. I had to call the paramedics yesterday morning because my husband was shaking uncontrollably and burning up with fever after two traumatic days when he was not himself, to say the least. It turns out he has pneumonia and now I'm hoping that what I'm feeling today is just a garden variety cold, fingers crossed, and not the same thing. Also so sad about Notre Dame burning. In spite of this, most amazingly, I can still go outside and feel so happy about the beauty around me, and it helps that it's a lovely day. I wish you all similarly wonderful days in the garden.

• Protoavis z

Most things are in bloom here in Sydney, Au....autumn. Including once bloomers like Golden Cheronese, R. Sweginzowii

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Protoavis z
  • altorama Ray

Ingrid I hope your husband will be feeling better soon!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Sending thoughts & prayers your way for your DH, Ingrid, and hoping that you’ll both be feeling better and back to enjoying your paradise! What an amazing place you’ve created! :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I hope Cecil is recovered soon, Ingrid. Your garden is amazingly beautiful! My Aunt Margy's Rose got nibbled again this Spring. She was attacked last Summer and now again, even though she is in a cage now. Go figure! Now I sprinkled Gopher Scram in the cage too. This is all in addition to the wonderful Gopher Hawk working. Apparently, she must be very tasty. I hope none of these attacks do her in.

Keep the spirit going. I hope Cecil can be home, if he is not already.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • seil zone 6b MI

It already looks beautiful, Ingrid! It's going to be spectacular!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

sorry to hear this, Ingrid, hope hubby recovers soon!

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Ingrid sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery for your husband and no sickness for you! Hopefully it was just the blues about Notre Dame pulling your body down :(

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Ingrid, I'm sad to know you're sad. All best wishes for your husband's good health.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I'm so glad I called the paramedics when Cecil was shaking like a leaf with a temp of 104.5. No sitting in the ER for hours, and they loaded him up with four bags of fluid and meds as soon as they saw the x-ray, and I think it's because of that he is in such good shape today. Sadly people buy from pneumonia even now. A friend told me of a 30-year-old exercise instructor who died overnight from untreated pneumonia, so there is a very real danger.

Notre Dame was fortunately not destroyed completely, in fact far from it, so there is a silver lining to that cloud also, and no lives were lost.

Forgive me, but yet more pictures, if you can believe it.

Souvenir de la Malmaison, looking more beautiful and fresh this spring than I've seen in a very long time.
    Mme. Franziska Kruger is looking girly and frilly.
    Jesse Hildreth is going to be awesome.
    This penstemon is so tiny but it's already blooming ( 'Blue Springs' "Foothill Penstemon").
    Milkweed for the Monarch butterflies (which however are absent so far),
    Madame Lambard also looking better than ever.
    Mme. de Sombreuil
    I could not resist another shot of Aunt Margy's Rose. Sheila, hope to see pics of yours when she recovers.
    Wild Edric on the left beginning to bloom. I love that rose!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Ingrid, I have gone to heaven seeing your pictures.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Sheila, that's so sweet of you to say. I can take so little credit, really, because everything is just responding to the wonderful rains we had. I'm truly amazed that all the plants needed was rain, since I haven't fertilized in years, but I suppose it's not much different than the tremendous bloom that was seen in all the desert areas here in March.

• bart_2015

Only Heaven can truly water a garden, that's for sure! Best wishes to Cecil that he will get completely well soon.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Ingrid, everything looks so good! So big and lush, they do love rain water more than anything else. Even if I’m watering in the dead of summer it doesn’t get the same response as a soaking from the sky!

• Krista_5NY

Ingrid, I hope Cecil will recover soon. Your beautiful bouquets can help to cheer him. It's encouraging that a medical team was able move quickly on hydration and medication.

I, too, am relieved that Notre Dame was not completely destroyed. It's a sobering thought that priceless treasures can be lost in a matter of hours. The flying buttresses will continue to soar...

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    Ingrid,
    I love seeing your garden and so glad your DH is on the mend. Pneumonia can be serious! We are having a beautiful cloudy morning and here is my Madame Alfred Carriere and Lady Lavender lilac.
  • Lisa Adams
    Oh Ingrid, how frightening! I hope Cecil is on the mend now, and that you’re not coming down with anything. I’m down with a sore throat, myself. I hear it’s going around.
    Your roses and garden are beautiful this year! I love seeing Wild Edric, and shall try to add a photo of the one you gave me.
    I couldn’t get very close, but here he is! Lisa
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Cecil is feeling much better, thank you all for your kind thoughts. Stephanie, so beautiful. I wish I could smell your lilacs; that fragrance takes me straight back to my childhood. Lisa, so sorry that you're not feeling well; I hope it passes soon. I loved seeing your Wild Edric, in spite of his spindly legs. The one I have in the back looks not good in spite of the rain. It's mostly naked, and one side doesn't have any new growth while the other has buds. It probably should be transplanted.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Stephanie, your madame Alfred Carriere is wonderful. I wish I had a shed for it to grow on.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Ingrid, so glad Cecil is feeling much better. Your roses are beautiful. Admiring your Souvenir de la Malmaison since I have that one. I can only wish my blooms would be that lovely!

Stephanie your blooms are very nice, love the lilacs.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • jerome

Ingrid, gorgeous photos of a gorgeous garden. Isn't Rosette Delizy a wonderful rose?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jerome
  • totoro z7b Md

Gorgeous!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked totoro z7b Md
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

sara_ann, I hope that with time your SdlM will fulfill all your dreams. It's a rose that doesn't do well in all climates and zones, unfortunately. One learns to appreciate the beautiful roses one can grow and pass by the ones that are happier elsewhere.

Yes, Jerome, Rosette Delizy is quite special. It's in its paler phase right now in the cooler weather, but the heat is coming and it will then turn into a flamenco dancer.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you Ingrid. At times I have some pretty SdlM blooms, what I love about yours is the perfect pink color, so beautiful. I think location and also the time of year and other factors play a role too. Mine do seem to always be just a little paler than the ones in your picture.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I wish I knew why you (and some others here who have this rose) have paler blooms. It's a rose that likes a warm and dry climate, but there are so many variables.

My Wild Edric (an Austin rose that is no longer available in the US) has put out some lovely and oh so fragrant blooms. If you look above you'll see that Lisa also has this rose. Hers is originally from my garden, in an area that has poor soil, and it will take a little while for it to recover, but fortunately her garden has very nice clay soil and so her roses overall do much better than mine. I'm planning on taking a pick-up truck to her house some dark night and stealing her soil. Just kidding Lisa!

• Marlorena-z8 England-

How would you describe the scent on that rose Ingrid..Lisa?... I've never actually smelt it myself..

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Oh brother, Marlorena, I'm the worst at describing rose scents. I can only say, a rich, deep old rose perfume, but that's not exactly right. I imagine Lisa might be able to better describe it. This rose is very precious to me since I have so few roses that have much fragrance. Once Evelyn gets to be a big girl I hope she'll have a nice perfume.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)

I've only just caught up with this thread and just wanted to add my best wishes for Cecil's recovery, and that you are feeling better, and Lisa too... thinking of you all... <3

Gardens are looking great. Ingrid, I love the mosaic of foliage colour and texture you've created, which the good rains and consequent lushness are now fully revealing...

Re Notre Dame: TBH, I'm not sure how M. Macron is going to rebuild that roof 'as it was, and better' in just 3 years when the timbers were up to a metre thick and there are apparently no more oak trees left in France of that age and size.

The massive tracery of roof timbers was known as 'the forest' - I thought at first it was because of its appearance, but apparently it's because 850 years ago it did take a whole forest to be chopped down, to create.

Perhaps 300 years would be a more realistic time frame for replacement?