0
jgweiser95

concrete pavers for front walkway

g weis

looking to create a new front walkway with concrete pavers. looking for 2 feet x 4 feet x 1 1 /2 inch size . need about 10 of these . each paver separated by about 2 inches. any suggestions of where to buy these in the boston area. thank you

Do a bit of Googling and check out local masonry suppliers....you seem to have a fair number in the area. From my own very local personal experience, a 2'x4' concrete slab paver is not a stock item - a 24" square is about the largest concrete slab paver one can find pre-made. Anything with larger dimensons is typically cast in place.

Dig Doug's Designs

not exactly what you want, but worth a look:

https://www.techo-bloc.com/product-categories/

Revolutionary Gardens

Standard paver thickness is 2-5/8" and you're in a crappy winter climate - what's driving the 1.5" thickness? That thin and that much surface area is all but begging for breakage. Your best bet would be a paver mfr like https://hartstonetile.com/ that does a wide range of custom pavers.

Personally if you want a paver look, I'd do a pour in place like GG suggested. If you want to get something more than the typical smooth concrete finish, a stamped concrete contractor can get a stamp that's just a big stone texture w/ no joints.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

“Each pavers separated by about two inches”

This is not a great idea for a main walk. Snow removal becomes difficult due to the irregular surface. It is more difficult to walk an uneven surface, especially for anyone with mobility issues, ranging from tolders or anyone with issues with balance or lifting their feet to anyone using a walker or cane. And depending on what you use to fill the gaps such as gravel or plants, there may be other issues. This type of walk can look nice, but is better placed in a less-used situation as opposed to the main approach to the house.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

There are two additional problems with any paver set in sand or dirt--insects and weeds. Both annoying and unattractive. I've done them before and never would again. From now on all stone will be set with mortar joints.

This is a very common entry paving application in my area for more contemporary landscapes. I have used it myself in a few designs. It poses no more diffilculy to walk on than does a solid concrete sidewalk....a 2" gap between slabs is easily avoided by even quite elderly or infirm visitors unless they are just shuffling along and not really walking. There is NO 'uneveness' to speak of or not enough to make walking a hazard. Snow removal could conceivably pose some difficulties but I have not seen it to be much of an issue.

Very few paving joints are ever mortared here. Typically only those that use tightly fitted natural stone flags. And mortared joints are not any more durable long term than using something like fine gravel of a polymer sand. They crack and shatter with moisture and freeze-thaw cycles and weeds can pop up just as easily. I'm not sure I understand the comment about insects....most insects have no interest in pavng material at all :-)

Everything requires some degree of maintenance, even concrete paving. If this is an aesthetic the OP is after, I see no viable reason to discourage them from it.

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie
    Have you considered using 2 20" x 20" pavers side by side? lowes has them, and reasonable. Even that size is heavy, for diy.
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

gardengal48, my comment on insects relates to ants and ant hills. They burrow up through the ground and come up in the sand between the pavers. I had a brick patio and a paver patio set in sand and it happened all the time. It's not fun sitting by the pool, or eating on the patio with ants crawling all over the place. Likewise with weeds. No matter what the underlayment was, eventually the weeds took hold and you either have to spray them with weed killer or pull them out by hand. Polymeric sand works for a short time, but eventually degrades. I would never do that again.

My bluestone patio, installed in 2011 with mortar joints has no cracks, and neither ants nor weeds are evident between the stones. I live in the Middle Atlantic, and we have hot summers and cold snowy winters, and I have no cracks or damage. Just my experience.