0
sjsoweee

Help with curb appeal!!

sjsoweee
I want to create some curb appeal to the front of this house. The windows are all bedrooms and north facing. Can’t do much with the electrical.
How can I make this a little more pretty without blowing the bank?

• partim

Can we see a picture of the front door? Is it where the car is?

Landscaping will do a lot. Where do you live so we know what plantings to suggest? It would be good to know what is the driveway part.

Dig Doug's Designs

some ideas:

• camrine

I agree with the landscaping. It's amazing how soft it can make a home. Some shrubs would really help. Boxwood are nice because they are green all year. It looks like you live in Canada and I think they would work there. I'm in Michigan. You could add in a few hydrangeas or red twig dogwood or both.

See if you can get some exterior window casing added around windows.

Finally, sometimes the utility company will bury the line for you. It does cost some money (maybe $400 or more?) because you have to pay for them to do the dig/trenching. If you have cable you can do both at the same time. In the end, they did a clean job for us and brought grass seed.

Little by little. Good luck!

• Brown Dog

Your house has little architectural appeal and no driveway. You'll have to spend some money to get it to look good. Do it in phases and start with the driveway.

• partim

If you need to do things in phases, you may want to start with the plants. Next year they'll be even larger and nicer, but your driveway will still be the same size!

• sjsoweee
    Thanks for your ideas. We live on Vancouver Island. Pretty mild weather.
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Notice in Doug’s sketch not only the difference in appearance due to landscaping, but also the crisp edge along the drive. Adding an edge to a gravel drive will make it look far tidier and help keep the gravel and lawn separated. Having a similar edge along the garden bed will help as well.

To make the entrance clearer, I would add a paved path, either from the street or from the corner of the house to the door, and add a good light over the door. Walking into a carport for the entrance can feel like entering a private area, and this will make visitors feel more welcome.

For the plantings, keep the plantings in front of the windows low to allow light, and use taller plants in the middle and diagonally off the corners. If the power company needs to read the meter, add stepping stones or a mulched path, and plant far enough out that the meter reader can see the meter. You have a deep overhang creating a rain shadow which will be drier, so plant the main garden outside of this. In the area between the main planting and the house, either add mulch or a low groundcover that doesn’t mind it dry. This will make it look intentional and discourage weeds.

Having some of your plants evergreen will make the garden a year round presence.

• partim

A Pacific dogwood would be beautiful in your yard, maybe off to the left side. Another good shrub/small tree is Japanese Maple. I have a Coral Bark Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku') that looks great even in winter because of the bright red bark. In fall the leaves turn bright yellow with a red edge, and in summer the leaves are bright yellow-green with a bit of red edging too. It's my favorite plant, even though it doesn't bloom. One of the nice things about Doug's design is that because the plants have different leaf colors, it will look good even when nothing is blooming.

Be sure that the mature size of the variety that you choose is not too big. That information is always on the plant tag, or online if you know the variety.

Pacific dogwoods are seldom found in cultivated landscapes here unless they pop up from seed....they dislike garden conditions. And they are extremely prone to dogwood anthracnose so hybrids are typically a much better and disease resistant choice. And with a denser and more compact growth than our native.

• Irene Morresey
    I think it would look great painted black, trellis between windows and plant star jasmine, landscape is a must with some lovely green and white plants a couple of trees, green plants next to black looks amazing. A thought. Driveway done also

Wouldn't recommend painting a house black here in the PNW! It is dark and dreary enough here in winter that a black house (even charcoal and some grays) would just disappear....you would drive right by it without even noticing a good 4 months out of the year :-)

• lizziesma

I disagree with Yardvaark renderings (sorry). To my not-a-pro eye the bushes between the windows makes them look like noses on a face. Something a bit softer? More like Doug's pic. The depth of the planting bed seems to diminish the volume of siding to me.

Yardvaark

"To my not-a-pro eye the bushes between the windows makes them look like noses on a face. Something a bit softer? More like Doug's pic."

Lizziesma, it is the same for me. The shrub mimics a nose. But I think it's more a fault of the architecture and build. Neither leaving the space empty while there are utilities to hide ... or planting a tree as a centerpiece while there's a wire overhead, seem like good options. Doug and I both solved the problem in the same way -- by plugging the hole with a shrub. Don't read too much into a drawing that is meant to be nothing other than an inspirational SCHEME. It is up the recipient to pick the detail ... whether a shrub is "hard" or "soft", its color, texture, finish, etc. The picture (at least mine) is only trying to get into the ballpark.