0
bellarosazone5

How much evergreens should there be in a front yard landscaping?

bella rosa

Our front garden - which I'll have to post a picture later on - faces West and leads to the front walkway/entrance. I planted a row of hydrangeas (Incrediballs) on the right side and add some trellises with purple clematis. It's pretty. The left side is what troubles me. We have one large globe spruce, which I like, and next to that is crabapple tree, which blooms pink in the Spring. My problem is what to plant to the right (if your were looking from the street) to the globe spruce.

We had some burning bushes next to the globe spruce, but they looked awful (one did anyway) and I planted a row of grasses in their place (Northwind switchgrass). I wonder if I should plant some small boxwoods or other type of small evergreens for color along the walkway. In front of the grasses, I planted 3 "Bobo" hydrangeas and in front of them, some perennial pink geraniums. Anyway, just wanted to get some opinions on how much evergreen do you need in the garden. I'll try to post a pic in the next few days. Any advice/suggestions is appreciated.

That's a really loaded question :-) My pat answer is since a front entry garden is the primary view guests and visitors - and often the homeowners themselves - see, it should look as appealing and welcoming in January and February as it does in May and June. It's easy to have a garden look good in May and June but 'curb appeal' is not seasonal! And in my world where evergreens of all types abound, that means more evergreen than not as they have a consistency and uniformity, more or less, year round.

But not everywhere has the same degree of diversity of evergreen choices as those in milder climates do. And many often have winter weather conditions where a garden is barely visible at all for days or weeks at a time. If it's buried in snow who cares if it's evergreen? So I think I'd revise my answer to as much as you and your climate are comfortable with. The premise remains the same - for as much of a consistency of appeal/attractiveness/interest year round as possible.

bella rosa thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • mazerolm_3a

I think that conifers are the only evergreens in my zone, and I love how their texture plays well with other plants and how low maintenance they are. So I add as many as I can. Go with what pleases you! :)

Dig Doug's Designs

There is no set rule. I would say enough evergreens to provide year round curb appeal. Mixing deciduous plants in is part of that appeal. Think of evergreens & hardscaping as the "bones" of the garden, but not the entire garden.

• ashyaslan
    Like the previous posters said, they serve valuable functions (windbreak, screen, winter interest, resilient and easy care, etc), but they are also static.

My husband and I have a long-running debate about what should be planted in this one foot wide south-facing hell strip between the front sidewalk and the garage. He argues that the foundation should always be covered by evergreens, while I argue it's more important to find something that fits and won't die from dehydration. Right plant, right place and all that.

I'd like to see a pic of what you've done so far.

Static? How so? They grow, often take on winter coloring and broadleaved evergreens produce flowers. And even conifers produce cones or berries. That doesn't fit my definition of static very well :-) The ony static plant I am aware of is an artificial one.

Yardvaark

"The only static plant I am aware of is an artificial one." GG, those fade, droop and eventually flake apart from sun deterioration if left too long. So not static at all!!! :-)

• ashyaslan
    Static relative to many other plants, not totally unchangeable! So sure, add an asterisk to the word choice: evergreens are living things with variations over time. :)

This could be my regional perspective as well. In my 6b/7a area the most dynamic evergreens are hollies and rhodies, possibly some magnolias but they mostly lose their leaves. Other homeowners in warmer climates probably have more and showier choices and have a broader definition of evergreens. Which could influence them towards planting more evergreens than people in other areas because of the number of choices available.

Which begs the question, where does the OP live?