Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forhgtv

Good Cardiologist in Chicagoland?

Fun2BHere
5 years ago

I have a friend who is experiencing some heart issues. She just relocated to the Chicago area last year. Do any of you living in that area have a wonderful cardiologist to recommend? Thanks in advance.

Comments (29)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

what's the diagnosis?

(I sent you a message instead. I feel funny saying this person's name online even though they're the best in Chicago).

Fun2BHere thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

She needs to check out Nextdoor and get recommendations from people in her local area.

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anglo, I think we need a plumber...thanks.

• pkramer60
    5 years ago

I just came from Dad's cardio on the northwest side of Chicago, not far from O'Hare Airport. Can you tell me what neighborhood she lives in and what hospital is closest to her?

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

My inclination is, absent a very compelling recommendation for a specific person, you can never go wrong going to a medical school. Northwestern and U of Chicago are among the very best and there are a few others in the area too. Which have a particular reputation for cardiology/cardiothoracic surgery, I don't know, but I'd think with either of these two, you could hardly go wrong.

I believe "mdln", a periodic contributor in this forum, is an ER physician in the Chicago area. She may have a specific recommendation or insights to share.

Fun2BHere thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"She needs to check out Nextdoor "

Haha. Maybe for a real plumber.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

U of [Illinois] Chicago is the school I suggested, and I sent a recommendation for a specific person. Look at that, we agree. [The academic world being the better choice was my point on which we agree]

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I think over the years we've agreed about more than you might want to admit.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

kidding, i was kidding

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I wasn't.

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pkramer - West side around Wheaton, thanks.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

UIC is an hour drive.

:/

too bad, my suggestion is so wonderful. Miss him loads (and his wife. She's awesome too)!

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't think the drive will bother my friend, Rob333. She's from SoCal where almost everywhere we go is an hour away.

• westsider40
    5 years ago

lifelong chicagoan here. I second northwestern which is downtown or the u o Chicago on the south side. Both fabulous and world class. Meccas both.

Fun2BHere thanked westsider40
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Then I hope you see my message!

:)

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

rob, UIC and U of Chicago are two different schools.

• Chi
    5 years ago

U of Chicago! I don't know anything about cardiologists there but it's my alma mater so i'm biased!

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rob333, I did see your message, responded to it and forwarded the information to my friend. Again, thank you.

• sheesh
    5 years ago

Glad you said that , Elmer. Thanks.

Chi, my dtr is also a U of Chicago grad, and her husband is a U of C Med School grad, but he's a pathologist.

• Chi
    5 years ago

Sheesh, that's neat! What did your daughter study and when did she graduate?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Huh. Didn't get a reply. Whatever happens, best wishes for great health friend!

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rob333, I double-checked and my reply is in my sent folder. I wonder why it didn't get to you. Could it be an email address that you are no longer using or could it have hit your spam folder?

• sheesh
    5 years ago

Chi, my daughter has a b.a. in biology from U of C. She graduated in 1990, so well before your time. She did her graduate work at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. What did you study?

• PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

All of the following have excellent reputations, I'd feel comfortable getting care at any of them. They all have "find a doctor" on their websites where you can see the physicians area of special interest. (Disclaimer: either trained or worked at 3 of them.)

listed in alpha order

Loyola (closest to Wheaton)

Northwestern

Rush

Univ Chicago

Univ IL @ Chicago

Fun2BHere thanked MDLN
  • PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

https://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/June-2018/Chicagos-Top-Cardiologists/

Don't know all of them, but those on this list that I know (and there are many) are excellent.

Good luck.

Fun2BHere thanked MDLN
  • PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

Community hospitals near Wheaton are Northwestern Central DuPage and Good Samaritan; both are excellent.

Fun2BHere thanked MDLN
  • Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rob333, just wanted to let you know that I responded to your message of today. It will be interesting to see if you receive the response this time.

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mdln, thank you for the link and the confirmation of the excellency of the community hospitals in the area near my friend's residence.