Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tye22tye

Anyone have experience with white or black gravel or rocks?

tye22tye
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I was thinking about either white or black gravel or rocks for landscape beds. Has anyone had theirs for a while? Does it fade or discolor? Any good place to get in Long Island, NY? What's a good price?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

i've used mexican pebble rock and other similar rocks you're considering. The downside is they look messy when leaves or other garden debris settle on the rocks. It's very hard to keep neat looking.

post a picture of your beds

• tye22tye
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth,

Well my beds are lousy from lack of care at the moment so it's kind of embarrassing to take a photo. I used to have black mulch where I plan to put the rocks or gravel and it looked great, but i'm tired of it disappearing every year. You make a good point about debris getting in there. I was thinking of taking the blower and blowing it out, but I think it would blow the pebbles too. Maybe I should get bigger rocks like 3/4" or 1" so that they stay put when blown.

What color are yours? How long have you had? Did the color fade?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

If these are planted beds, some plants find particularly dark or light rocks stressful. The white will reflect a lot of extra light, and may discolor over time from organic materials or your soil pigments. I also don’t really enjoy the extreme contrast provided by white rock in a garden. The black will get hot in sun just like asphalt does.

It is also a real pain to weed beds mulched with rock, and in many settings rock mixes with the soil, far worse than topcoarting beds with shredded organic mulch like you had previously.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

well,,,this is what I had for quite awhile (this if from 15 years ago,,the pond has since been redone!)

if you get a mix of the grays, the color stays pretty even.

a few years ago I redid some of it to look like this

the flower beds got the mulch. but honestly, with all of the crap falling and blowing, it doesn't stay like this. if you have a small area, you can keep up with it.

they have all sorts of mixtures. visit a place that specializes in landscape stone for the best prices.

I've also used landscape glass. with constant dirt and hard water, it does get a little dull looking. this spot is always in the shade so it's not too bad

The larger mexican pebbles would be the easiest.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Mulch with soil enhances is better choice. Yes you have to add each spring and some in fall but it keeps weeds down and helps enrich soil. Weeding in rocks is a real pain. Don’t use black mulch as it is dyed and that dye will leach into soil possibly negatively effecting plant material .
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Organic mulch as the finished product requires top dressing with more mulch annually. A better strategy it to have groundcovers that grow together and require no more mulch beyond the initial installation (before plants grow together.)

• tye22tye
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's just that in the areas that touch the house, I'm choosing to avoid mulch. It turns into soil eventually and over time it raises the grade if I keep adding it year after year. I'm trying to maintain a distance from where wood on house starts to grade because of potential termite problems. I'd rather use mulch away from house.

With the rocks I was planning to put underlayment down to avoid weeds and blow the dirt out once in a while.

So white rocks discolor? What about the black ones? With the heating up issue with the black rocks, I was thinking it cant be any worse than black mulch, no? Or black soil for that matter, no?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Regardless of whether you use a mulch product like bark or a living mulch of plants, both are far preferable and easier to maintain than any kind of rock mulch.

And whether or not one is better than the other is really a matter of personal taste....both have their pros and cons.

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

I grew up in a home with a 3' river rock perimiter around most of the home with a shrub hedge in front of the river rock. We spent half the summer every summer cleaning out sections of river rock. (3500 sf ranch home).

I have a 1' boarder of black river rock around my bilco doors and don't want any more river rock.

The black does not stay black. It is a dark gray.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    I just spent yesterday and today cleaning out rocks that border 3 raised flower beds...remove the rocks clean out the debris, and put them back. Looks nice right now.
    It's not quite so bad if they are flat, but if you have trees around they will look messy. Debris falls on the rocks, disintegrates and makes a nice bed for weeds to thrive. They also eventually sink even if you have weed prevention underneath, needing to be topped off. Have you looked at rubber mulch...I have no experience with it. It would still require weeding...weeds thrive everywhere!! Also if you are in an HOA check with them to see if rock flower beds are allowed.
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

No rubber mulch. It smells bad when it gets hot and will break down at some point, adding rubber dust and various other materials of questionable safety to the soil and air and water. And then it needs to be disposed of . . .

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I wouldn't use rocks in a flower bed either for all the reasons stated above. Now if you have an area where you cannot grow anything because of poor soil and lighting conditions, then a rock surface would work. I am on Long Island as well, and have a small area on the north side of my garage between it and my neighbor's property line. It would be very difficult to grow and take care of plants in that area, so my landscaper filled it with small white/gray/beige "beach pebbles." It's a nice look and works well for an area with no plants, where I keep my garbage pails.

I also have beach pebbles in my driveway--it gives a nice casual/rustic look instead of blacktop. And I also have gray gravel in the small areas around the barbeque grill and pool equipment. You can get them at any nursery on LI.

• Newenglandgardenerct
    5 years ago

If you are worried about your siding, this was our solution.

Th stones will darken to a reddish brown, and once the shrubs and mulch are in you will not see the the blocks. If you do not put edging between the planting bed the stone and mulch will eventually mix and look messy. Here in New England it is hard to get and keep vinyl edging in the ground,

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    5 years ago

you're not talking about the white marble chips are you?

• K R
    5 years ago
    I live in sunny south Florida with lots of sun exposure and my gravel rocks have held their color just fine. I absolutely prefer the look to mulch as I have a modern look for my house. Yeah they get displaced a little bit here and there but not a big deal. I actually have 3 types and sizes.
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

I have beach pebbles also ( I think 3/4” ), in a variegated beige, off, white, other natural colors. No issues with either weeds ( have a permeable weed fabric below ) or discoloration. Like Karen , my landscaping is contemporary. Looks very clean & understated.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Very pretty and I like your use of a variety of stone. That makes it even more interesting. You probably also don't have much tree and leaf debris. That is what gets into rock/stones and creates its own environment for growth on top of the permeable or any other type weed barrier, and weeds sprout in that medium. Just the way it is. Nature keeps reproducing no matter what we want! lol

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

I have an area with river rock and it is a pain in the as*. I'm actually going to scrape it all off because it's not easy to get all the leaves and crap out. A leaf blower doesn't get it all, and the rocks blow all over. If I lived in Florida it would be so much easier, but I'm in the North.

• Kate E
    5 years ago
    We used river rock for our old house. It looked great and was easy to maintain, it was a very light grayish white color. The only downside was we didn’t get a lot of nice contrast because we chose a similar color paver for the border.