Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8468267

I don't know where to begin. My house is blah.....

User
10 years ago
My house right now feels very boring and blah. We always start to change paint and start to redecorate(or attempt) but we just don't know how to make it our own and make it flow. I love my home I just feel so uncomfortable with the decor or lack there of

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Well, it is a bit on the somber side. I would start by taking down the two tall glass vases above the cabinet. I would remove/paint the moulding white around the door, and the baseboards too. I would add a white subway tile with white grout to break the dark color. You already have a 4" backsplash so keeping it clean and simple will work and lighten. Add a accent color such as tangerine to brighten ;)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Carry over a curtain like this to tie in with the kitchen accent color ;)
    Modern Curtains · More Info
  • PRO
    meganjacksonmeder
    10 years ago
    As a designer I can tell you the best place to start is - everywhere:) As in come up with a complete game plan even prior to painting. It can be VERY overwhelming otherwise. Look on houzz or in design magazines and find a general concept that you like in a room that has some similarities to yours (or the before photo did anyways). It looks like your kitchen, dining and living are all open to each other so flow will be important. Once you have a couple images you like see what those pictures have in common. Wood floors, soft window treatments, earth-tone paint colors, painted or wood furniture (or a mix), limited but bold accessories, etc. All else fails, maybe hire a designer for a quick consultation just to help get you started in the right direction - if this came easily to everyone we'd be out of a job:)
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes Margo somber doesn't even begin to describe. Maybe that's why I feel so tired at home it bores me :) I do always get very overwhelmed with the inside because it is all open floor plan and I can't ever get it to flow well. The one time I thought I had it everything was brown lol and that was boring. That may be a good idea to hire someone for idea
  • User
    10 years ago
    @ladysmall- the good news is, it is just a few cosmetics!
  • PRO
    A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
    10 years ago
    Megan gave you some good tips when embarking on this journey. You have to research and plan before you jump right in. I would work one room at a time, but always keep in mind the connecting rooms and spaces, so they flow together. But never under estimate the power of "homey" touches. Curtains, paintings, pictures, and lighting go along way. Your space (at least in the pictures) seems so dark. Add some more lights, or change the blinds to something that lets in a little more sun light to cheer it up. I would also pick up some more pieces of furniture for the living room. Maybe an entertainment center, or end tables with nice matching table lamps could be nice. Add new throw pillows that pop off the color of the couch too! Go crazy in Home Goods, that's what I do when I get bored! haha.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the windows.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thanks! It will bring a nice effect to your kitchen and with the nice paint selection and nice kitchen cabinetry, you will have a real nice kitchen.
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    If that kitchen wall overlooks your neighbour's, be sure to get proper permits. It's not a question of privacy, but of fire regulations. You wouldn't want to compromise your insurance.