Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_817750218

I adopted these plants and don’t know how to care for them. Plz help!

Kelly
5 years ago

My friends parents moved away and left these plants behind. No one wanted them and I didn’t want them to just die in her old house or get thrown away, so I volunteered to take them home with me. I’ve never owned any plants and I’m hoping you guys can give me some advice on how to properly care for them so they don’t die and can hopefully thrive. They’re all on windowsills of south-ish facing windows and I’m told they don’t need much water but I’m not sure exactly what that means. The cactus-type ones already look a little rough. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments (8)

• Kelly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No and I just got them yesterday but I will right now.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Syngonium, Begonia, Aloe & Gasteria. The last 2 are succulents & they will need less water than the other 2, but I agree w/ Floral they look quite thirsty. Since you're new at this, may I suggest you water the soil, not the plants, esp. not the last one which looks in tough shape & can have root issues when the base or center of the plant gets wet.

• Sans2014
    5 years ago

The first 2 plants need to be watered when the top inch of the soil is dry. The second two are Aloe and Gasteria, they need to dry a little bit more before watering them. As Karen mentioned, don't splash water in the plant as it can rot the crown of the plant ( the water doesn't evaporate fast enough in the nooks where the water will settle and can cause rot). Best practice for watering is to water till excess water drains out the bottom drain hole. Never allow the pot to sit in water for more than say 15 minutes, pour off all the excess water.

Light: first two need bright indirect light, the second two want some direct sun to full sun. But remember when placing a plant into direct sunlight, it must be acclimated to full sun. Plants not in direct sun will sun burn if placed into full sun to quickly. Acclimate by placing in direct sun light for short periods and increasing the length of exposure as the plant gets used to the stronger light.

Never be afraid to ask questions, everyone here is friendly and helpful. Always use common sense when accepting advise.

Kelly thanked Sans2014
  • J Williams
    5 years ago

I’m not sure, but I wonder if the clay pots have sucked the moisture right out of the soil. The last one looks pitifully dry, would it make sense to just once, soak the whole pot in water?

• Kelly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the support everyone! I’ve learned a lot already. Thanks for putting names to them for me too, I really appreciate that. I’ll make sure to keep the bottom of the plant dry to avoid rot. Are clay pots not good for plants?

• Sans2014
    5 years ago

Clay pots: it all depends on the type plant, the soil you use and personal preference.

In general plastic is better for plants, like the Arrowhead, that like their soil moist. Succulents, like Gasteria, which need to be drier, do better in unglazed clay pots.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

Clay pots are fine, but as Sans2014 suggests above, one needs to know how to use them. To show how I feel, I just potted this Gasteria up larger from a clay pot that was now too small for it.

My soil has much less of the fine textured soil than yours does, along w/ lots of Pumice mixed in.