Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljhoch

Help, it's so ugly! Can this kitchen be opened up?

ljhoch
10 years ago
Well, I finally did it. I bought a home in Florida and it definitely needs a makeover. Any help, ideas, and thoughts would definitely be helpful. My expenses are limited and I would like to keep the Reno costs at $30,000. To do all the changes I want, I know I would need more...so I'm going to have to prioritize my wants. I've never done anything like this before but overall myself and my husband are pretty handy so we can do some of the work ourselves. My thoughts were to take down the wall in the kitchen to open up the area and put in a large island . I would eliminate a table in the kitchen and include seating at the island. It's a villa so there are no windows on one side of the house. This would also eliminate all the top cupboards. Hm? Another idea was to keep part of the wall ( near the entrance) and make that 30" area into a pantry. Not sure how that would look. I think my stove must be included in the island too. The entire floor area needs to be tiled. (Kitchen, living & dining room) I like hardwood but not sure if that's a good idea in Florida. Considering tile that looks like hardwood in a driftwood shade. I was thinking that whole area should be the same material. It has ceilings that are at least 9' tall which need pot lights. I will need cupboards, was thinking of white or a linen color. Should island be same? I was also going to see if the bottom cupboards can be refaced. Is this a good idea, does it save money? I'm attaching a floor plan and some pictures of what it looks like now.

Comments (121)

• nwduck
    10 years ago
    LB, what if she used something like a library table as a desk? Then if a dining room table was needed, that could come away from the wall and be floated in the room for an evening.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    nwduck, That may work too, good idea!
  • SophieW
    10 years ago
    Whether or not you end up taking down that wall, you should really consider knocking out the pantry and installing some pantry cabinetry instead. That will really update your kitchen plus make better use of the space!
  • gephillips
    10 years ago
    Just to throw an idea out...there is a product that looks like wood but wears like linoleum. They put this in a high traffic area in the lobby of our office. It has that wide plank beachy wood look but is not wood and is very durable and soft under foot.
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sophie, not sure what you mean? Do you have a picture?
    Gephillips, do you know the name of the product?
  • SophieW
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Instead of having a built-in pantry (2x4 and drywall construction) install a tall cupboard instead. I'm not sure how to attach a pic from this site, but if you go thru the browse rooms > kitchen and then search pantry cabinets, you'll see what I mean
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    The floor gephillips is referring to may be marmoleum, which is used a lot commercially. Forbo Flooring has a marmoleum in their Unexpected Nature collection called White Cliffs. That could be what it is.
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, I'll look into both.
  • gephillips
    10 years ago
    There is also another thread here with " Porcelanosa*" Block Roble was what "Angela P" used in her bedroom. It is beautiful as well.
    Also found an Armstrong product that is more like what they put in our lobby although not sure if it is the same product.
    http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/luxe-plank-vinyl-flooring.html I know your on a budget and I dont know the costs on either one of these
  • PRO
    Crogan Inlay Floors
    10 years ago
    Galley kitchen!! My favorite!! I we do fine inlay. Send you the round inlays and a local installer can do the rest! Accentuate the length like this!
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just an update on my progress... The wall can come down! It is not load bearing, however the price of this remodel is about $15,000 more than I want to spend. The price of wall demo and closing in the doorway is about $3500 plus the electrical. Do you think the outcome is worth the expense?

How can I cut costs? Should I remove tile and carpeting in LR/DR. This is the look I'm going for...
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think by removing tile and carpet, the entire area will feel larger. A smooth continuous flow. If you don't remove it, can you anticipate how you will feel about it in a year or two? Might want to bite the bullet :)
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    That would bring you up to the 45k range? It looks gorgeous, but I'd pass if you have a limited budget. I think if you open it up new flooring all around is a must. You might save money with a similar affect by taking out half the wall and putting a counter and stools on the LR side.
  • Sandy
    10 years ago
    If that wall is not load bearing, you could do the demolition yourself unless there are contravening health issues like asthma or lack of strength. Once you get down to concrete, you have a few options, refinish (add a skim coat) and go with a stained concrete. Real wood (satin polyvarathene makes a nice look), High grade vinyl (I would advise against the cheap stuff, it looks good but doesn't wear well). The same warning goes with laminate floors. Everyone I know that put them in now wishes they hadn't due to the poor wearing. I like tile too just watch that you get the same dye lots throughout or you can end up with odd colors popping out like a sore thumb and yes it is expensive. Keep one extra box for repairs, be sure you write down the brandname and color of the grout in case you ever have to replace one from getting chipped or broken.
    ljhoch thanked Sandy
  • Sandy
    10 years ago
    Oh if you are pulling out the cabinets and don't want to make use of them in the garage, why not put them on your local freecycle group. Your "trash" might well be someone's treasure.
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Walls coming down, now a design question. Should I do both the wall and island cupboards white(linen white) with a Carreras marble countertop look on the wall cupboards and a gray/blackish countertop on the island. OR

Do white cupboards on walls and a dark island with the same countertop on both?

Struggling with what to do! Will the two tone cabinets look dated or trendy identifying a "time period"?

This is the floor (driftwood tile) and possible countertop and cupboards colors.
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's photo
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe this is a better illustration
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure what you mean? What was your feeling on island cabinet color? White or dark.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry, my comment 'didn't' make sense. I misinterpreted the question and your photos. I deleted that one.
    I think your choices will depend on ... preferences of warm colors, or cool colors or a combo of both. There is no right or wrong :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would ask a realtor what buyers prefer for kitchen cabinet colors in Florida. Then decide if that works for you. To keep the space fresh and airy, white'cream cabinets and white/cream island. I would use the same material for both countertops and choose a different backsplash that works with the counters. The kitchen is a small galley kitchen. and will appear larger once the wall is removed. and white/cream keeps it open. Cream will be a warmer feeling. Dark cabinets are rich and warm.

If your furnishings tend toward warm choices for the foyer, living room and dining room, I think I'd go with dark cabinetry. If consideration for resale will be a thought, then ask the realtor his/her opinion. It's a matter of what tickles your senses if you will be here a long time. Or who cares what is most sought after. If you like it, go with it :)
  • lake1114
    10 years ago
    If you are planning on using marble on the counter tops just remember marble stains easily and needs some extra care. Also wanted to mention,don't know how old you are or if you plan to stay here for a while, but if the island is big enough and you are planning on using the island seating on a regular basis, you might want to think about lowering the seating side of the island to table height. Counter height chairs get difficult to climb in and out of or to sit at for longer periods of time as we get older and/or develop physical limitations. Just a thought. All these ideas are wonderful. You will have a beautiful home when you are done-good luck and enjoy!
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks LB. I like both ideas. My thought on going with the off white cabinets was they're timeless. The Carrara like granite is also classic. You mentioned keeping the countertops the same on both the island and wall cabinets...I wasn't certain if that would be too conservative?? That's why I was thinking the dark soapstone like (it's actually a rubbed quartz) would give some drama or contrast. It is a Long Island -90"

I probably way over think this...

Again thanks for your thoughts
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Hi again, ljhoch. It sounds like you've come up with a nice plan. Since you have just bought the home in Florida, you're plans are to be there for the long haul, I'm assuming. So, you are already going to the expense of updating the space, so I think that-since you are going to be there long term-that you should choose the surface that you prefer, even if it might be the one that will have to have more care, like the marble does. I think that the lighter cabinets will look very nice, and kind of go with the airy tropical "ambience" of the region.
    ljhoch thanked lucindalane
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to embed this, but here is a link for what is, IMO, a lovely kitchen that seems to be an open concept type.
    http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/idea-houses/lousiana-idea-house-kitchen-tour-00417000068170/
  • magilojoh
    10 years ago
    lucindalane-that is a really beauteous kitchen!!
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Thanks, magilojoh. Here's another one, where you can "belly up to the bar" and have a seat on some bar stools to chat with the person in the kitchen.
    http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/decorating/kitchen-inspiration-00417000069836/page63.html
  • magilojoh
    10 years ago
    lucindalane- that's pretty too-but I think the previous one is my fave-including the colors!! plus I think it would be great for what ljhoch is doing with their place and I think it is reassuring to see the wood floor in muggy LA-maybe it would do well in FL after all ???
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    I live in Texas, in a super humid climate, in an old house with some wood floors that are probably almost a hundred years old, and they aren't warped, and are in pretty good shape, believe it or not. I think if one has good quality wood floors, and they are taken care of, they can stand the test of time. They might start to look beat up with the wear and tear of years, but if they are in good shape, then all it takes is for them to be sanded and given a new finish, and they should be good. That's been my experience, anyway. My grandmother's house also had wood floors, which they painted a brown for most of my life, until my aunt moved back in with my grandmother after my uncle passed away, and she put in carpets. Needless to say, the carpet got very worn, as it took a pretty good beating, and when the old, worn out carpet was removed, there were the floors underneath them, pretty much in the same good condition they were when the carpet was put down twenty years before.
  • PRO
    Keystone Design
    10 years ago
    SIMILAR LAYOUT --- COUPLE OF IDEAS
    This is from a 'rustic' home. So, while the materiality of kitchen might not be up your alley, I thought the couple of ideas noted might be of some use to you. Have a good day and good luck with your project.
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Decision time...what do you think? I keep changing!
    White shaker cabinets
    Black pearl countertops
    Chick let backsplash
    Wrought iron pulls
    Floor: beach wood porcelain tile. Note- this is lighter than my original. Is it too light?
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions especially on the hardwood. Every picture I've like had a dark floor with the white cabinets and I'm considering a light beachwood wood tile. Looks good in sample size...hope looks good in real size since floor is in the entire living, dining, kitchen, hallway area - not too light ugh!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    It will be light, very neutral on the soft light side. I like the texture and feeling of beachy. Depends what is pulling at you. The expense is huge so you want to be happy with it. We can't really make that decision for you. Only offer many options. I too would go back and forth on the different feelings and looks for a room if I were making big changes :))
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Remember my ugly kitchen? Thanks to all the input and Ideas I received from everyone, this is what it looks like today. It's not completely finished but I love it! What do you think of the items above cabinets. Wasn't sure....
    It looked like it needed a little something. I'm now working on the adjacent great room. It's proving to be a challenge as I really don't have any walls except the one where the tv is located. Any thoughts?
  • amafixer
    10 years ago
    Love your new kitchen.
    ljhoch thanked amafixer
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Well done! Love it
    ljhoch thanked A Crew of Two
  • lake1114
    10 years ago
    looks great and just in time for the Holidays! Enjoy!
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    The floors look perfect! How are you liking them?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Great remodel! Love it. Would love to see a view of the frig and patio side of the space :)
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Came out great! Thanks for posting the after pictures
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are some additional pics. It's still a work in progress. I tend to gravitate toward neutral and texture but want to add "some" color in accessories. Pillows copper and peacock blue? Or pear green and? Your thoughts? Area rug color/texture? Purchases couch , love seat and media console that are in pictures.
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    To medpenn
    I really like the floors. Was apprehensive at first but as I added furniture they really look like hardwood. Very easy to keep clean and quite versatile to decorate with,,,
  • ljhoch
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    better pic of sofa/loveseat
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Congratulations! It looks fantastic.
  • kristylou
    10 years ago
    The pillow on your couch seems a mustard shade. I love it with the sofa color! You could do mustard and a teal/aqua like you mentioned for sure. Maybe add a lighter colored rug with pattern? Your kitchen looks amazing but I'd do some colored accessories on the counter and above the cabinets, to coordinate with whatever you choose in living room. :)
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    I think your idea of the blue and copper would be a nice look--the blue reflecting your outdoor view, and the copper color kind of pulling in the tones in the woven bar stools.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Kitchen is fantastic! Accents colors you like will be great.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    AMAZING! Keep sharing as I love your vision and style.
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    8 years ago

Yes, I think you could remove the wall between the kitchen and living room. Add an island and the open space will feel much larger.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

DEAD THREAD! Makeover pix posted Dec 2013.