0
nhbabs

Show Us Your Landscape/Gardens - A Photo Thread - May 2019

NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us Your Gardens" Photo Thread.

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your garden. This is the thread for May 2019. All garden photos are welcome. Since Spring is here, our focus will be on flowers in this thread. However, all landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in your garden or your yard, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link to the last couple of years’ threads:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5282840/show-us-your-gardens-a-photo-thread-may-2018#n=31

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/whats-blooming-in-your-garden-a-photo-thread-may-2017-dsvw-vd~4611826[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/whats-blooming-in-your-garden-a-photo-thread-may-2017-dsvw-vd~4611826)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Well, the sun finally came out, which is good when you've been trying to photograph white flowers against a white sky. Blue sky works better.

I have an Amelanchier, AKA serviceberry, shadblow, which planted itself behind my tool shed and is blooming now.

Some of my volunteer crabapples are covered with red flower buds which are just beginning to open to white flowers.

Epimedium 'Sulphureum' is blooming in one spot.

And the mid-season daffodils are open.

N. 'Thalia'

N. 'Fragrant Rose'

N. 'Lemon Glow'

Dicentra 'Gold Heart' is continuing to develop by my porch steps.

I do believe Spring is finally here.

Claire

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
  • maisie6b

It’s been a good spring for wildflowers

Bluets (houstonia caerulea)

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked maisie6b
  • claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

What a lovely river of bluets, maisie! I've never seen them before, but I think I need to in the future.

Claire

• maisie6b

I can’t take any credit. They just like it here!

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked maisie6b
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

On my property, bluets grow in full sun in poor, sandy soil.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Now Houzz tells me my photo library is empty so I can’t post any other photos.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

"my photo library is empty" - what does that mean? I post photos directly from my computer, using the Photo upload button, are you using a different method?

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

My photo library on my tablet. Typically I do what you do and directly upload from my tablet. Instead it tells me I have no photos and won’t let me navigate to where they are stored.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I tried uploading from my phone and it looks like that is working but then nothing posted.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Weird. Let me see if I can post anything.

This is my unusual daffodil on April 24.

And on May 5.

Claire

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

So it's not a general phenomenon with Houzz. Weird.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

After trying unsuccessfully twice from my phone it finally posted.

Early Scout peony getting ready to bloom.

Not sure why the peony and daffodil photos posted sideways. Typically they turn themselves the right way round when I post.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Today Houzz is finding the photos on my iPad, even though it was unsuccessful yesterday on at least two different network connections.

This serviceberry/Amelanchier is my favorite spring plant. It blooms on the far side of the stream, so we see it across the floodplain as we drive up the shop drive.

• deanna Maine 5b6a

Just in case there's ever a doubt as to how far behind we are, this is our progress today.

My ladies mantle and salvia get a good deal of sun, so the soil is warmer.

Hostas are just starting to show. Transplanted these never-die geraniums in this shady spot, and I know I'm going to love them. Will find more stragglers around the yard and move them here this year.

This is as far as my Dicentra 'Goal Heart' has gotten. Poor little things!

I lost most of my brunnera. This little guy is hanging on, and boy, is he little this year.

These astilbes were newly planted in fall I am THRILLED to see all, or nearly all, of them returning. I hope the trout lilies get buds, but not sure if it's still forthcoming this year, or if they're still maturing. They are popping up everywhere.

We are REALLY behind you all!

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked deanna Maine 5b6a
  • claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

I hope you're catching up, deanna! That Gold Heart really looks annoyed.

We had another cold spell but now it's warming up again and more trees are flowering. The amelanchier/serviceberry is past but the sour cherries (Prunus cerasus) are blooming.

and the crabapples are having a good year. This is the old crabapple I inherited from my mother's garden.

Other volunteer crabapples are blooming too.

and a volunteer apple is having a good year.

I have several seedling crabapples that produced their first buds this year (no pics yet).

Azalea 'Hino Crimson' is blooming in a partly shady area.

Leucojum 'Gravetye Giant' has been blooming for a while. I think I'm going to order some bulbs and plant them next to my Dicentra 'Gold Heart' so they can intermingle with the bleeding heart foliage and flowers. I hope it works, but I can always move them away if it doesn't.

Leucojum 'Gravetye Giant'

Late daffodils are blooming.

Hawera with its little yellow flowers next to Thalia Sun and in front of a peony::

Sir Winston Churchill:

Sir Winston Churchill peeping through a Gray Owl juniper.

I've probably reached Houzz's photo limit so I'll add another post.

Claire

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

My copper bird bath got overgrown by a couple of hollies and I could no longer see it to fill it, although the birds seemed to like it under there.

I pulled it out in the open and set my lawn dragon to guard it. I still need to level the stone base.

I missed the bird bath and the lawn dragon.

Claire

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

This is what I'm hoping for the Gold Heart/leucojum combination:

Claire

• deanna Maine 5b6a

I LIKE the lawn dragon. He is fantastic! I think he likes showing off now, too, with the hollies gone.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Lots in bloom, Claire. I am not home so won’t have photos for a bit but I am enjoying yours. Here in WI the crabapples are in bloom with a few lilacs just beginning.

I agree with Deanna and am glad the dragon has re-appeared.

• deanna Maine 5b6a
    This gal seems to be happy all snuggled in by garage!
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I love violas for early spring bloom!

• deanna Maine 5b6a

The above rhododendron isn't suffering because of winter, or at least winter is not the biggest source of pain for him. The deer that was so kind this winter to eat my unwanted standard Euonymus fortunei also apparently munched down on this poor rhody. Overall, though, I'm not bothered. The deer ate the Euonymus so thoroughly that for the first time ever I had a clear view to the thick old trunks so I could cut it out completely. Once I remove the roots it will be gone forever. I consider the rhody a well-deserved desert for the helpful deer!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Maybe a chicken wire ring for next winter? Or perhaps a few stakes and high test transparent fishing line.

• deanna Maine 5b6a

Yes, I've got to figure out something, especially for my "prized" rhododendrons. He ate some of my Mt. St. Helens buds, which makes me sad sad sad.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Poor rhody, deanna, but it certainly is determined to survive!

I don't have deer problems but the squirrels eat the flower buds on one of my rhododendrons - Percy Wiseman. They don't bother any other rhodies. I cover it with something every winter (the something varies depending on my latest inspiration).

Last winter I covered it with a pop-up cage hoping it would be easier to put up and take down.

If you squint you can see some green leaves and a branch with dead leaves. There are a few buds in there so I'm leaving it for a while. I'll prune off the dead stuff when I take the whole contraption off.

The squirrels also eat the flower buds on my wisteria. They missed a few this year and the flowers are now in the fish skeleton stage.

On a more positive note, my beach plums are blooming! I say beach plums plural because there's a seedling that's also blooming. At least I hope it's a seedling with enough genetic difference so it can cross-pollinate the big old beach plum (I rarely get any plums now).

Variegated Solomon's Seal is blooming at the foot of the driveway:

And the first daylily! Hemerocallis 'Orangeman' appeared today.

I have a tulip that sends up a leaf every year but rarely a flower. It last bloomed in 2015. It's been blooming for several weeks now next to the Gold Heart dicentra. I'm not sure what variety it is, but I think it's a lily-flowered tulip.

I'm probably at Houzz's limit so I'll add a few more pictures in another post.

Claire

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Geranium macrorrhizum is beginning to bloom. It's all over the place but here it's next to some little hostas and some soapwort.

Hellebore 'Gold Finch' has seed pods. I let them do their thing last year and I think there are new seedlings there.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Nice range of blossoms, Claire. Makes me miss my garden; my sister isn’t really a gardener, but we redid a small ornamental bed, prepped and started planting her small veggie garden, and have spent several hours working on pruning and rejuvenating a yew hedge. We also visited a botanic garden that has lots of native wildflowers and the Arboretum. So I am getting in a bit of gardening while I am out of town.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Sounds like a fun visit, NHBabs, and you'll probably come home to a lot of satisfying new growth.

I just checked another area and the Spanish bluebells are blooming now, at least the white ones are. This is an area where I keep removing the bluebells because they're in the middle of a path, but they pay no attention to me and keep coming back.

Claire

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

And an old, inherited lilac is blooming. I think this is Charles Joly which was very popular around the time this would have been planted. I love the color.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

That is my favorite lilac color also, but I am not hugely fond of lilacs because I am allergic to them. I do have one planted that is about that color because my DH loved them so they remind me of him.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Lilacs are good remembrance plants - I think of this one as 'Polly's lilac' because it was planted by my father's second wife. I also have many plants that I associate with my mother and father.

It's good that you have things in the yard that remind you of your DH.

I was out weed-whacking around some junipers today and I discovered that the Green Eyed Lady daffodil came back - I'd given up on her but I guess she's always late for the party.

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Love your lilacs too, Claire. Such a pretty color. Is it fragrant? Dark purple is my favorite too. I bought a new one last season at a local horticultural sale that was dark purple, but it has just about no fragrance, which is very disappointing. I have a white that is a double with large blooms, but, the fragrance is just medium. I had a very fragrant older lilac and I tore them out because they were always covered with mildew, but now I am sorry I did, because I haven't found another that is as fragrant.

I'm fascinated by your beach plum. I thought of growing it to make jam, but I didn't find a place for it. I didn't know it bloomed so well.

It was gorgeous here today. I should have gotten more done out there before it gets hot. I'm working on my vegetable beds but it's slow going. I have to dig out tree roots before I can plant. *sigh* But today I managed to sow green bean seeds after digging out half a bed. The kale, mustard and scallions are all large enough now to harvest some of the leaves. Cabbage seedlings are starting to fatten up and peas are about a foot up the trellis. No flowers yet.

I put 2 tomato plants in the ground about a week ago, with some protection after leaving black plastic on the site for a week. They are looking good with flowers on them. I put them in a new cage this year, that is decorative, planted in my front bed where I have the most sun. I'm waiting to get another bed dug out to plant more of those and some peppers and basil.

Tomorrow I should be able to get a few photos. Everything looks like it's about to burst. I planted 3 new bare root roses and they are pushing out branches and leaves and I see a few tiny buds. The Julia Child rose - omgosh - it's so bushy this year. Oriental poppies - one older plant looks like it has about 6 buds on it already. Iris and columbine are just starting to bloom.

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Another gray cool morning - great for garden work, but not photos. Over the weekend, I should be able to get a few. It's cold around the house again in short sleeves this morning. I still have the heavy comforter on my bed and I think there's only been 2 nights that I've opened my windows at night all spring. A very odd spring this year.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

PM2: The Charles Joly lilac is supposed to be very fragrant but it's allergy season and my sense of smell isn't working very well right now. I'll walk by it today to check but I haven't noticed the fragrance of the wisteria flower buds so I'm not too optimistic. Usually I can tell if the wisteria has flower buds.

Beach plums are very pretty in bloom, but I didn't realize that you need to have two genetically different plants to cross-pollinate or you won't get any fruit. I occasionally get a plum so something is around but never very many plums. When I planted this one I also planted one down by the beach so that may be active, but it's too far away to be of much use.

I'm hoping the little one that appeared here is a seedling, not a sucker or a rooted branch, so it may be different enough to cross-pollinate.

Yesterday was lovely here too; today, not so much.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

PM2, it is an odd spring, but as a former teacher, I can guarantee that every teacher in New England is thanking his/her lucky stars that it has remained cool and overcast much of the time.

Claire, Green-eyed lady is a beauty.

This morning as I walked my sister’s dog I enjoyed the crabapple petals snowing down from various yard trees. This has been something that’s been happening for at least a week as different varieties bloom and then fade. I think that crabapples are the most commonly planted flowering tree planted in this part of WI.

There are some lovely wildflowers and cultivars in my sister’s yard and those surrounding them: violets and dandelions in the lawn (my sister is in the minority in her neighborhood in not treating her lawn due to a child and a dog, but most yards seem to look like golf courses), but also Solomon seal, bleeding heart, trillium, and Virginia water leaf grow under the pines and deciduous trees that grow around the edges of yards.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

So sorry, Claire that you have allergies. Yes, they report high pollen on the weather every day, and I just can't imagine how frustrating that is for a gardener. I'm not in full mode search for another lilac, but I keep an eye out and I'll add Charles Joly to the list. I need to go to Lilac Day at the Arboretum next spring. Or just get to the nurseries when they're all in bloom.

I hope your Beach Plum seedling turns out to help pollinate the other. Too bad they can't sell you two of the shrub you need for pollination.

Babs, how great you are getting a visit with your sister. I bet she is happy to have someone to help in her garden. I love that she doesn't treat the lawn. I've grown fond of untreated lawns. I just had to replace a strip when they worked on our street last summer, and I added white dutch clover. I'm also considering digging out some of the weedy spots and adding some Queen Charlotte viola, that is a nice fragrant purple. [g]

I love flowering trees, especially when the petals fall. We don't have a one on our property. Nice to live in a neighborhood where they are appreciated. And her wildflowers - sound so great! I can tell you are enjoying spending time in your sister's garden. :-)

I did get out and try for a few photos this morning. I had some sun but it was later in the morning than I usually try, so the light was not as good. And I don't think my camera is taking photos as well as it used to. I have a new one that is a Nikon and I haven't taken the time to learn how to use it yet. [g] But here are a few that were okay....

Here is the rose 'Julia Child' that is happy with me that I haven't moved it for the past two years. lol

'Texas Pink' Azalea having a good year, in front of my favorite blue holly that seems to be happy where it is, and this year, it's just bushy and shaped the way I like it.

Oriental Poppy 'Princess Victoria Louise' That's one of 6 buds on one plant. Looking forward to that opening any day now.

One of my favorite Hostas, that I forget the name of. It's so pretty, but the leaves are so thin, that it is easily torn.

This is a 'Wentworth' Viburnum that I had to cut down to the ground last fall. It had been struggling with some kind of pest for the past 3 years. It is a vigorous viburnum that gets very tall. I'm so happy to see it coming back from the base so thickly and no sign of a pest on it so far.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I forgot to add this one. I'm very surprised to still have a daffodil blooming. it's definitely the last of them in my yard. I ordered a mini daffodil mix in the fall and this was part of the mix. I wondered if it was 'Hawera' that Claire posted. I just love this little daffodil. It has stood erect despite all the wind, on these thin wiry stems with multiple blooms and has had a very long bloom period.

It's amazing to me that I am still having so much fun with this one bed that I have in full sun. I've changed it so many times, and this time I think is my favorite so far.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Cranberry Viburnums like Wentworth are susceptible to Viburnum leaf beetles. If you have the time and energy, the eggs overwinter in twigs, and the ones with eggs look different, so you can prune them out and burn them or bag in a sealed bag for disposal.

Everything looks happy!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Your garden is looking so pretty, PM2! If that daffodil is Hawera, which looks likely, it should naturalize and come back every year in bigger clumps. A very satisfying daffodil. It goes well with Thalia which blooms at about the same time. Both are still blooming in my yard.

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

That's good to know about the Viburnum, Babs. I imagine that pest will be back. I'll keep my eye open. Maybe I can stay ahead of it. It's such a great shrub for my conditions that the pest is the only drawback.

Thanks Claire, I was thinking the same thing about yours. Such a pretty garden you have! Packed full with so much variety. I am looking forward to next year for all the bulbs I planted last fall and thinking of putting another mix of 25 in. I have Thalia in a different location and that has been gone by for a couple of weeks and I find Thalia doesn't last long for me at all. A very pretty daffodil too.