Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dohenymama

Check out my living room! What do you think??

dohenymama
4 years ago

Hi All!

We're in the middle of trying to come up with some furnishings for this room. We will definitely get rid of the silver track lighting for the bookshelf (and add more books, etc). We need rugs, lighting, and possibly a pillow exchange. There's a photo behind the sofa that need to be hung. Ideas?? I really like the look of the second photo but am totally lost on how to visualize things altogether! If someone knows how to do this on photoshop or whatever, I would gladly pay a fee!

Here are two other photos of rooms that I like so you know what I'm going for. I know what I like--I just have a hard time tying it all together.

Comments (41)

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It'd be nice to see the fireplace wall, and other walls. So far it seems the large unit, though it's good for books [yeah for books], to me it'll detract from a very nice area. On second look, maybe it's the amount of pillows....

dohenymama thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Right away Im thinking the sofa needs to be pulled away from the book shelf and have the short side line up to the edge of the window that is there.

Second, dont remove the track itself, it is really what works there for that ceiling and that space. They make much smaller more effective track heads that us bulbs with beam spreads so you can dial in what you want to high light. The second option for that would be to spend about 2k on a really nicely and well designed LBL lighting or Tech lighting rail light system, which I would be happy to help you lay out.

I think next you need to buy a really large rug so you can start to get the "feels" of the above inspo pic.

But please come back and post the other pictures that did not load.

dohenymama thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • hollybar
    4 years ago

Please share pics from more angles. A sketch with measurements would help. So would a glimpse at your art. That said,the pilllows are both too much (amount and repetitiveness) and not enough (variation and thoughtfullness). It takes effort to look effortless & not look "try hard" but you are on the right track.

Also,have you ever heard of the "one wrong thing" axiom when decorating? I swear by it. In your case, well I might look for a very good representational painting in a serious frame and hang it off-center over the books on the bookcase.

dohenymama thanked hollybar
  • Kathryn P
    4 years ago

What a beautiful starting point! Are you thinking you want to add in the reds of your inspiration pics? Maybe a warm blue? Just keep it neutral with some greens? What are you leaning towards?

dohenymama thanked Kathryn P
  • dyliane
    4 years ago

too many pillows

dohenymama thanked dyliane
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I think you could keep the track over the bookshelves. How do they look when lit at night? Maybe put them on a dimmer.

Remove 1/2 - 2/3 of those pillows.

dohenymama thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

You will still require some light to illuminate the back wall especially if you have art on the wal. Floor lamps also

dohenymama thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I would go with boho/rustic style, something like this , would get coffee table and use poufs as extra sitting .

• dohenymama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow--how did you do that with the photo @ groveraxle?can you teach me??

Here are some other shots of the walls and light.

Agree on number of pillows--the sofa had these large cushions on which look good in photo but are horrible in person.

• dohenymama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, here are other inspiration pics that didn't transfer...

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

You could try turning the sofa so the longer side is under the picture and the shorter is floating. Then you could put the sofa table there. You should be able to put seating in front of the bookshelves. Do you like big arch floor lamps?

dohenymama thanked suzyq53
  • lizziesma
    4 years ago

Great view, sorta jealous!

dohenymama thanked lizziesma
  • dohenymama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This was also a big inspiration

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would turn the sofa so the long section is facing the fireplace. This may leave some space for a slim library table and two upholstered chairs in front of the shelves. The chairs can be pulled into the sofa area when you have guests.

Crystal cove · More Info

dohenymama thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

What a great space!

dohenymama thanked Amanda Smith
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Turning the sofa to face the fireplace would work from a space-planning standpoint, but will put the sofa back to the view. You seem to have plenty of room to pull the sofa out from the wall though, so I would try that first.

• dohenymama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@groveaxle can you please tell me the program you used to put that living room together with rug, etc? Really amazing.

• felizlady
    4 years ago
    You need to get rid of half of the pillows, if not more.
    You need to arrange your books so it doesn’t look like you live in a library: stack some, stand some, add a few interesting objects, arrange some books by color or by theme or by size.
    Hang your art, whether it is original or reproduction, photo or poster.
    Leave some space behind the sectional for access to the books.
    Add a colorful rug to fill the area in front of the sectional. It should be large enough that the front legs of all your seating pieces are on the rug.
    Add color, lighting and occasional tables.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Ok so Grover added the rug, and I think now seeing the other side I get why the sofa is where it is, but I still feel like it needs to be more "in" the room if you will, plus the book shelves seem a bit crowded over there. Question, would you ever consider selling that sectional for something not L shaped?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

You could also do a nice Heriz:

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Dohenymama, I use Photoshop.

• partim
    4 years ago

What is wrong with the original pillows of the sofa in person? Are they uncomfortable or not good looking? They may simply need more or different stuffing.

dohenymama thanked partim
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

What a gorgeous space! Grover's rendition with a Heriz is fabulous. Love your bookshelves. They look great even empty. I can easily see touches of warm reds, burnt orange, greens and navy in this space. Looking forward to updates as you progress.

dohenymama thanked tartanmeup
  • Daniela Marino
    4 years ago
    Hi! Lovely space! I really like your place and am totally identified with your inspo photos and your big bookshelf also! Sorry design pros but we who work with books can easily full more than one of these and just with books!
    Well I think you need to shop for some ethnic textiles to enliven your room. Also a big lush plant for the corner between windows.
    dohenymama thanked Daniela Marino
  • RedRyder
    4 years ago
    Groveraxle gave you a great idea. The bookshelves need some “stuff” so once you choose a rug, you can take the colors and put some things on the shelves that complement it. And pillows, but many less than you have now. Gorgeous room!
    dohenymama thanked RedRyder
  • Kathy Handy Ginter
    4 years ago
    Following... you have a fabulous start on amazing space 
    dohenymama thanked Kathy Handy Ginter
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Sorry, but I have to go on about a very long unit - to me it's fine there, but I think your chair[s] would be better by it... I'd consider thermal curtains on both lowers, and try sectional basically in front of the tv/fp... more in center, and away from the lowest part of the ceiling.

dohenymama thanked everdebz
  • tatts
    4 years ago

The shelves bother me a bit--as do the shelves in your 'big inspiration' room. They are behind a couch. When was the last time anyone touched one of those books behind the red couch in the inspiration room? They are clearly just decoration, not real reading material. The Crystal Cove pic is believable; those books are accessible.

So--don't put books behind the couch where nobody can reach them or even read the spines. That's just really, really fake.

I would remove a lot of those shelves to make room for a couple of real statement pieces--an original sculpture and an original painting or significant photo or print. Then, some books (only along the right side) and a few smaller pieces/personal photos to fill in.

• kjoy1
    4 years ago

It is a very pretty room with a great ceiling and view but to me it looks like everything is shoved into one corner...

dohenymama thanked kjoy1
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Your big pillows matching your couch need added stuffing to be firmer and less sloppy...then a visit to Pier 1 will offer a few large scale colorful ethnic pillows for the wow factor....another option to keep it tonal...look on line for Moroccan textiles they have beautiful cotton rugs in beige neutrals with wide stripes of fringes...with silver dangles....just fold them in half ..sew together and stuff them...I suggest they painting the wall behind the fireplace in the same color as the bench ...with such a big open space it decreases the grandeur to break things up with into different colors...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

For the same reasons I would put all the wood in one of the bottom cubbies...using the upper ones for some striking sculptural pieces of equal scale to the size of the openings...no groupings of smaller pieces

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

A few Stacked colorful oversized cushions would pretty in one of the bottom cubbies?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

FLOOR CUSHIONS...(stacked)

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Hang your art or photo on the wall so we can see it. Reduce the number of pillows on the sectional....keep what has more color, remove those with the least color.
    Post a picture for more comments.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

On the Moroccan rug sites...you will also see pillows already made..remembering fewer big ones is better than a bunch of little ones..

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Folding and sewing will most likely save lots of $

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

You need lamps (probably floor) for reading and for flattering light. Every sitter needs an easy-to-reach place to set something down. Start by purchasing a large rug (no smaller than 8’x10’), and then pick up colours from it for accents. Try not to end up looking like a cushion store.

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Following

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The Moroccan rugs with the rows fringe detail and dangles are all shades of white...lots of texture ...not color...for drama...very rich and elegant while also adding an ethnic feel

• Sonja Suitor
    4 years ago

What a beautiful space! With the massive windows, big beams, cedar ceiling and big statement fireplace/tv wall, my preference would be to do a simple, bold, hygee/boho design. I’m afraid if you fill the bookcase & fireplace niches you will end up with an awful lot of stuff but not a statement. For that reason, as much as I like it, I would remove the bookcase & hang 3 great pictures or photos on that wall and a 4th larger on the adjoining wall, angling the spotlights to show them all off at night and on gloomy days. I would also add, as someone said before, an statement shiny angled floor lamp over the sofa. In the corner window area I would either put a game table & 2-4 leather game chairs if there is room or a big, comfy chair with a big plant like a fiddle leaf in the corner. I keep hankering for one of those big mid-century white globes in that corner window space, hung from the ceiling. I think that would offset the heaviness of the sofa/fireplace space in the room. Moving on to “boho” it up, I would add a fur or fuzzy throw on one end of the sectional and a few big, textured pillows on the other end. I agree with the previous statements that the matching pillows were more attractive and perhaps could be pumped up & salvaged. You have the t-v in the only place/wall is really can go but it is so pronounced that it bothers me. I would paint that wall a much darker color (perhaps darker hue of the sectional) and put paint the back only of the niches. That will make the t-v less of an eyesore. I would put all of the wood in the lower left niche, and in the high upper niche put a wooden statement piece or trio of pieces, backlit and then a storage basket in the lower right niche for magazines, books, blankets. To offset all the big square angles of the room I would definitely use a big, round coffee table or upholstered ottoman with tray. Your choice of rug will determine the color scheme. My house is full of orientals and I love that — the suggested morrocan would also be a colorful & fun choice. Although my preference for your room is to use creamy whites with shades or gray and deep coral accents in pillows, art and rug. What a fun time you’ll have decorating this room! Enjoy!