Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
preppystud

how do Succulent Iceplant taste like?

preppystud
4 years ago

they seem to grow easily. i saw a supermarket selling the iceplant as food. i wonder if they taste good? maybe i will buy some to plan them.

Comments (11)

• Charline X
    4 years ago

Birds were eating mine, so I tried it too. It tastes somewhat like iceberg lettuce, except a bit bitter.

• nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

Ask the produce person for a taste and ask exactly what kind it is.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    4 years ago

Yeah I am sure it is a specific species... maybe a cultivar... some of the ice plants can give you trip, like lsd ;)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    4 years ago

Gabby, could you cite a source for your information? I'd never heard of this before.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    4 years ago

You made me laugh, Hoovb. I thought the same thing.

Jeff - I did the Google. LOL

I had to look it up, and surprise! Ice plants (from the genus Delosperma) contain differing amounts of dimethyltryptamine, or DMT. DMT is a hallucinogen. Most of what I saw talked about D. cooperii. Way to stay on top of things, Gabby!

• Polypompholyx
    4 years ago

OK but is the dimethyltryptamine concentrated enough to make if worth the trouble for the people who want to get high or concentrated enough for the people who believe no mind altering substances should ever be around them to shun it? That's mostly a rhetorical question. This might not be the appropriate place to get in to a discussion about that. My point is having trace amounts of an alkaloid might not matter to either side if it isn't concentrated enough to do anything significant.

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

But if I understood the original post correctly it sounded like she/he saw some kind of ice plant for sale in the produce section of a grocery store, right? Or am I missing something...? I don’t think they would (legally) be able to sell an ice plant (or anything else) with those kind of effects if ingested in a grocery store. ...at least not knowingly.

When I visit the local markets that cater to the Asian community I see all kinds of different and interesting produce not available in other grocery stores but I don’t recall ever seeing any ice plant type items.

I like seeing what people from other cultures eat. It can open up new & different experiences.

I’d be interested in seeing this ice plant if preppystud could post an image.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

hoovb......what are you referring to?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    4 years ago

rhizo, referring to many posts on name that plant and multiple other gw forums that are essentially "what is this and can I eat it?" Don't remember that 20 years ago, and admit yes I have been on gardenweb since the Spike days.

Curious to know how much of the questions like that are a recent fad to try to eat stuff off the side of the road, (yes a joke on recent fads are being apparently driven by Instagram or Kardashians or both); how much of it is people who will do anything to get high on some sort of drug (sadly, there seems to be a lot of that), and how much of it is the increasing decline in US living standards.

Then there is the long term pressure on what is described as the "global food supply chain", brought to mind by the recent outbreak of African Swine Fever among pork producers in China. I think it was in Bloomberg. It may raise pork prices worldwide because of the massive demand for pork in China. In a larger context, however, it shows the vulnerability of food supply as the number of humans burdening our planet continues to increase. A shock to the system such as a decades-long, widespread drought, and we may all be desperately searching for edible weeds growing on the side of the road.

Apologies to the op...

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH