0
jim1961_gw

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 5

NEW SPRING THREAD........PART 5

Spring is here everyone! For some of you things are hopping already.

Some of us have to wait awhile longer but soon we all will have blooms :-)

I get excited each Spring just seeing leaves sprouting...lol

Have fun everyone and enjoy posting comments and photos! Thank you all!

• Lisa Adams

Thank you for all your good wishes for Millie. Trish, Summers, Jim, Diane, Mary, HalloBlondie, Vap, Flowers, Sultry, Ikate, robw, Ann, oursteelers, Kelly, totoro, Sheila, Jen, Jin, and Ingrid, I thank every single one of you. I’m sorry for names I missed. I’m almost in a fog, from all the emotional ups and downs. She’s just getting stronger each day. The only thing we haven’t seen her do yet, is acting wild, running through the house like a crazy thing. I think she’s just building up her energy. She’s napping more than usual, but that’s to be expected. Her little body needs the rest to recover. She still has a bad case of the runs, and that’s been keeping me on my toes. Brandon will get her some probiotics while at work today. I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but when the 3 vets suggested giving Millie another night, instead of euthanizing her, Brandon had to speak up. He had to say that he unfortunately needed to keep the cost in mind as a factor, too. She’d already been there 4 days on IV and had so many tests and X-rays done. As much as we wanted her to pull through, her suffering and money had to be considered. When they decided she might have a chance, and wanted to delay euthanasia for the 3rd time, the bill was already quite high, even with Brandon’s discount. One Dr. immediately piped up saying, “I’ll pay her bill. This extraordinary kitty WANTS to live. She deserves the chance.” What a wonderful, kind woman! I’m so grateful to her. There are some truly good people left in the world. I owe that Dr. (and the entire clinic), a big bouquet of roses. Brandon doesn’t think that’s quite good enough, but it’s all I have to offer.

All the pictures above are wonderful! I like seeing those serviceberries, HalloBlondie. I really hope your Molineux survives. I like mine even more than I thought I would. It has such neat color variations, and the blooms are lasting forever in our strangely cool weather. Our daytime highs have been between 65-73F, with clouds, drizzle, and showers. They are even predicting a couple of inches of snow in our local mountains. This sort of thing is unheard of here, in late May! It’s the strangest spring I’ve ever seen. I enjoy this weather, and the plants love this “real water”, but it also scares me. This just isn’t normal at all.

Sultry, that epiphyllum is beyond beautiful! It really does look almost too lovely to be real. I’ve been tempted to try one, particularly after seeing a huge, gorgeous collection of them blooming at the San Diego Safari Park. I have WAY too many potted plants to keep up with already. My Gloriosa tubers haven’t made an appearance above ground, yet. It might just be too cool here, yet. (I cannot believe I’m saying that on May 22!). I planted mine behind Molineux, as planned. With this crazy weather, I haven’t counted them out yet. Maybe they’re waiting for temps above 73F? We might get some warmer days later next week, after yet another rain storm. I’m glad to hear that you see a sprout. I wonder if I should have potted mine up but as I said, I have more container plants than I can handle already.

Vap, thanks SO much for the special pictures! I’m such a fan of Felicia, and mine is currently in glorious bloom. I’m so happy you finally get to enjoy some of her blooms. I love her tousled look, and the shimmering, silken look of her petals. Her fragrance is special too, quite different from my other roses. I’m unfamiliar with Ghislaine de Feligond, unless.... Is that the one Marlorena grows as well? It’s a lovely plant.

I’m getting nervous about losing this long post. I’ll try to add some more pictures after I’m properly dressed. Lisa

A few leftovers after deadheading ‘The Faun’, yesterday.

• robw1963

Lisa, although I'm a "big strong man," I have to admit when I read that about the doctor and Millie I had a tear come to my eye. That's such a special gesture.

Houzz Live Chat: Seasonal Transition Tips

A9) Storage is key for liking your decorations from year to year. If you don’t take care of them and just throw them in storage every year, they don’t wear as well. Have enough plastic bins for everything to store nicely and make sure you take the time to wrap and put everything back in a neat and orderly fashion. The extra hour or so will really be appreciated the following year when you pull everything back out.

Thread count, does it matter?

Does no one but me miss the 60%cotton 40% polyester sheets of many years ago? They came out of the dryer with nary a wrinkle or crease. I believe they were at least 300 count but that was before we became so conscious of thread count. I still have 2 pairs of double size - one extremely soft and another that is more on the crisp side. I wish they would offer these again as an option to those of us who like nice-feeling sheets that come out of the dryer bed-ready or folding-ready. I love 300+ cotton sheets but they look awful unironed & it seems a pity to put them on a bed that looks so disheveled when made up. If someone would just iron them for me...

Decorative Planting for Small outdoor spaces in the cold seasons

Very good ideas for decorating one's outdoor space. Thank you so much for all the information. I am also into the same business and love to guide my clients and customers about their outdoor space decor. You can get some more information here: http://bit.ly/1m6G7Hl

Finish backyard gardens this season!

Deer resistant- maybe one yr, yes and the next yr no. They love tulips but ignore the the daffodils. They've stayed away from my foxglove, ferns and butterfly bushes. They have no problem eating any species of hydrangeas and love those the best in the winter. I could go on and on ( 40 yrs of gardening) but would recommend using Milorganite if you can find it for deterring those big eaters. Another gardener told me about this product last yr and it worked wonders at keeping the herd of deer at bay even if they were in the yard. I heard that it is the smell. I didn't think it had a bad odor. I heard that golf courses use it to fertilize. I believe I applied it every 4-6 weeks but it also depended on how much it rained as I wanted to make sure that smell was always there. There is also a spray, Liquid Fence, that I've had luck with and some times use it along with the Milorganite if I see some nibbling but it says to reapply after rain which I don't but do have to apply more often than the other. One other thing, go to a "real" nursery not a big box and see if they can give you some guidance. Often they will carry plants for your area that are deer resistant. Happy Spring! https://www.milorganite.com/using-milorganite/what-is-milorganite
  • toolbelt68

I hope the mansion builder up stairs aren't mad about having to modify the size of the mansion that the vet will get.... It's going to be a big one!!!!!!!! 'I was low on funds and you paid my bill'.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Lisa, if you are only 73F it might take longer for the Gloriosa lily. We have been very hot and dry here. Its going to be 100F this weekend. When our humidity drops, the temps skyrocket.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

My largest lotus ..Perry's Giant Sunburst has some aerial leaves now. (the 'aerial' leaves stick up out of the water and appear after the 'coin' leaves, which float on the water's surface). Grasshoppers have been eating them..Hopefully, flowers soon. I stuck the lotus water tub at the end of a rose flower bed between an Abe Darby and a Fire Opal. There is a pink Victoria passiflora I'm going to try to grow around it on a little wire fence. Hopefully they don't all try to spear and strangle each other. Its all kind of a mess right now. Once it all fills in, hopefully the ugly tub won't be noticeable lol.

• vaporvac

Sultry, the image of Abe and FO REALLY appeals me. Please post a pics of them blooming together if ever you can. I only grow FO and have been wanting Abe since my cuttings died, but pondered where to actually plant him. Th combo must be heavenly! : ))

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Lisa, your weather is baffling, but CA weather often is. The last year we were there, all of March and April were triple digit, up to 115˚F. That was unusually early, then May was triple digit, which was normal. So, that was one long hot summer. The San Fernando Valley is one of the hot spots. I was thankful we were in the hills where there was a breeze, but sometimes those 'breezes' were gales that blew off roof tiles. The wind in Northridge is well known.

Your Fawn bouquet looks like it belongs in a wedding, in the bride's hand or on a table.

Your vet is extraordinary! Another example of how Millie has stolen hearts. She's a remarkable little girl. I didn't realize how much smaller she is than Sebastian and Dexter until seeing them together. My Daisy had an unexplained episode a few years ago but was fine and it never happened again. She was walking across the room and suddenly seemed to have no control of her legs and fell on her side, struggled to get up and repeated that 3 times before she could walk. I think their little bodies rebound faster than we do, and of course, they don't get scared or worried, and accept whatever comes their way. Millie sure looks like she's past the crisis and is back to just being her adorable self.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Our newly planted Campfire should bloom soon...

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

Well I was busy outside today a whole bunch of comments were made!

@Lisa - That's nice to hear about Millie & other's kindness. There are some really good vets out there, we have one of the good ones. I know we pay a lot of money for our pets care in general. But when our last 2 dogs were both sick and we were there a lot, our vet didn't charge us for some of the visits. It was kind of them to do this, we still spent a lot on medicine and some tests, but waiving the exam fees really saved us hundreds of dollars. She is also very caring & would call on a Sunday just to see how we were all doing. Those things go a long way! Hope Millie continues to improve.

@Flowers - I still have the row of hydrangeas, but I had to remove the hornbeams in between them. We have removed 3 and replaced with emerald cedars. The other 2 hornbeams will be removed shortly and I'm trying to decide on a tall, narrow leafy tree. Maybe, a columnar quaking aspen, Siberian crabapple, etc. So the trees alternate between the limelights. But the swimspa is along part of that area, so my formal border is no longer! I will try and find a picture from last year to show the growth of them. They are currently leafing out. Did you plant limelight hydrangeas or something else? I also have bearded irises in front of the hydrangeas, but apparently I have a problem with Iris borers. So I will be losing those this year.

@Vaporvac - I really would like to see more photos of your property. I've seen bits here and there, but nothing enough to get an idea of your space. And from different comments it sounds so intriguing. Do you have a large yard? I know you have commented on living in an old house.

@Jim - hope campfire does well for you!

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

Found a couple pics. The first one was taken August 2016. The second one was June 2018 & then September 2018. They have doubled in size. Just ignore the hornbeam tree damage. I also had to widen the bed another 2 feet from the original size.

• vaporvac

Phenomenal Halo! just phenomenal!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Thanks, HalloBlondie. Your Limelights have really grown! And that was last year! I think the last pic I saw was when they were new. It already looks mature and filled in. Are they in part shade or full sun? How much pruning do you do on them? I forgot to prune mine, so it may not bloom much this year. I think it's too late to prune now. The Emerald Cedars will look great and I love Quaking Aspen. I only have one Limelight but would like to have more. Strawberry Vanilla is another favorite. Isn't it great that there are hydrangeas even we can grow! The new ones along my back porch are Blue Enchantress. They're still small, but came back healthy this year. They'll only get 3' tall and wide. They're between my Therese Bugnets. I always love seeing your yard. It makes me want to go clean up mine.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Blondie, your lush hydrangeas are inducing serious envy in me. I don't grow a single hydrangea, and you and Flowers are making me feel quite guilty. Over the years, I remember reading about hornbeams used in various English gardens. I loved them and wondered why they aren't grown much over here in Canada and the US, in particular. But I came to realize they aren't very cold hardy, and I had no idea where to buy them. I'm sorry they didn't work out for you because I loved the look of them with your hydrangeas.

Flowers, you have to prune hydrangeas? Another reason not grow them if you're like me--an old and lazy person. I am looking forward to seeing yours in bloom this season. They were so beautiful in previous photos. Augusta continues to open blooms, and so many are damaged by thrips. I thought this would be her best year. Golden Celebration is blooming huge blooms. This rain has made everything grow, and the blooms bigger, at least for some roses. Colette is starting to bloom and she has some thrips damage, too. Gah. I'm loving the snapdragons this year. If the weather will just cooperate, I'll get some photos. You are warmer than we are now. I think everybody is but the poor Colorado folks who got snow. Then there is Sara Ann who got slightly less than 10 inches of rain in twelve hours! I should never complain. That's nearly our annual total of precipitation in 12 hours. Lots of flooding in her area and impassable roads. I know what you mean about Blondies's perfect yard and garden. I need to keep cleaning up mine, a neverending task.

Vapor, a metal halo? Do you grow roses on it, or wear it? I want one. I've never had a halo, and I probably never will--ha.

Jim, I love that brilliant Campfire bud. I've got to look that rose up. What a neat color. How are you doing? Less pain for you, I hope. I also hope you aren't having a deluge of rain like so many are experiencing. Diane

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

I just looked up blue enchantress, it looks really good! I hope they do well for you. I've had issues with the Mac type hydrangeas, I have had very few blooms or none at all, it has to do with our winters. The previous seasons buds are killed, the plant has to regrow from the crown each year, so I don't get great performance. I have endless summer, bloom struck and cityline ones to trial. All seem to have these issues. But my paniculated ones are so easy. All I do is trim off the spent blooms, that haven't broken off over the winter, in early spring. Last year I tried pruning them one way & this year I did another way. Apparently if you cut back on the stems to a certain leaf node; you will get less flowers but larger ones per branch. If you just trim the ends you will just get lots of smaller blooms. So I'm trying these theories. I have not pruned them at all really because, they are still growing. I don't think they require pruning to perform. In another year I may need to prune a bit for shape. But I did give them the space to grow. I also have smooth hydrangeas, Annabelle, Invincible Spirit & Incrediball. I moved them once and my dog wrecked one. So hoping this year will have a better showing! They bloom earlier than the panicle ones. They are planted in part sun, whereas, my limelights are in full sun.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

@diane - I also forgot to comment about the hornbeams. It was also the English garden pictures that made me want them. They are hardy to zone 5. But 2017 was a zone 3-4 here. I was very mad and upset because it threw off the whole plan, the cost and the effort to remove & replace. Luckily, the trees where very small when purchased, so they were I think $80 each. It would have hurt a lot more if they were bigger trees. My neighbours lost a beautiful japanese maple & another one had their 40 foot birch tree suffer and this season it completely croaked. The plus side is that now I will have winter colour on that side of the yard with the emerald cedars. And I learned the simple fact to not zone push on larger items in the yard. It's not worth the headache.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Anticipation:

Potentilla blooms:

Zinnias:

Bloomstrucks have buds:

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I like the zinnias! Looking forward to seeing your Bloomstruck blooms.

I actually have one Hydrangea in a pot. Its green and white. Not sure of the name...Lime something.. but I got it on clearance for a few dollars, mostly because it was in a pretty tin pail lol. I'm amazed I havent killed it yet, having killed two others in the past :0 They do ok until I put them in the ground, then they croak.

• pippacovalent

I had so many blooms and buds on some of my roses that came with my house, HTs I assume, that I have started cutting some to bring in which I never used to do. They smell so wonderful with that classic rose fragrance.

• robw1963

Newest rose blooming is "All Dressed Up." It's a bit windy this morning, and my rose bed smells unbelievable. If it wasn't so humid I would sit out and just smell.

Also, although not roses, I just had to show my marigolds. The tall variety is called "Cracker Joe" and you can see how it compares to regular marigolds. When I first got them a couple of years ago, they didn't get nearly this big, so I think next year they will likely need their own container.

• Lisa Adams

Gorgeous!!! That’s a wonderful white rose! I love your Hydrangeas, HalloBlondie. I wish I could grow that type. My Incrediball is making blooms right now. I have an unnamed mop head out front, and two in pots. I can’t upload pictures today for some reason, so maybe later.

Jim everything is looking wonderful! I haven’t even sown my zinnia seeds, yet. Shame on me! I’m running late for Jenna(Lilyfinch), so I gotta run. Have a wonderful day everyone! Lisa. PS. Millie doing great!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, you do have to prune hydrangeas, depending on the variety. The macs die to the ground, so that's taken care of. Of those I have Endless Summer, which has been good here, Bloomstruck, iffy for me, and the new Enchantress. The paniculatas, Limelight and Strawberry Vanilla, are not fussy. I honestly don't know what I'm doing, and they live and bloom.

HalloBlondie, I'm taking a chance with those macrophyllas, but I couldn't resist. They're a newer, reblooming variety that are said to be a little hardier, and since Northland carries them, I'm game to try. I would like to try Invincible Spirit or Incrediball.

I prune Strawberry V according to a truly spectacular specimen in town. I drive by just to look at it. I prune when they prune. They go way back into the thick part of the branches. I didn't do that last year and the blooms were puny. So, this year, I really hacked away on it. I've read everything I can find on how to prune those, and found from severely to not at all. I'm glad to hear you haven't pruned your Limelights. I thought I'd really messed up by forgetting to prune mine.

Jim, did you start your zinnias in the house or sow directly in the ground? Still too cold to start those in the ground here, but it's warming up quickly, starting today - YIPEE! Bloomstruck is looking great! Mine, not so much.

Sultry, maybe you have Little Lime? I killed mine by not watering it enough.

Pippa, do you have any idea what that white rose is? I like the little touch of pink on the outer petals and the ivory centers. Looks like an excellent one.

A whole lot of tall pines are coming down at the moment to make room for the barn. Noisy! The really great part is the wood mulch they will leave. I'm doing a little happy dance. I still have a lot from the old pile, but it's decomposing faster than I can use it.

Have a good gardening day, rose friends!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Lovely All Dressed Up, Rob. The plant looks like a big bouquet. Everyone says that rose has a great fragrance. And, very cheery looking marigolds!

Lisa, I wish we were all going with you today. And, so good to hear happy news about Millie.

• lkayetwvz5

My zinnias came up in less than a week so I bought some more seed. Wish there was more than 6 seeds in a packet tho! I hauled two garden carts full of weeds out of the big garden today. Could have gone for a third but I made it through two showers without stopping but the third one was way too heavy for me to endure! If I don't weed in some rain it will never get done.

I waited and waited for flowers on DA Heritage to finally open just in time for rain and wind.

Carding Mill is darker this spring.

Love this color of Trandescantia - Concord Crush. My old blue one is in the right corner above with Carding.

• lkayetwvz5

Oh and more butterflies!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Wonderful photos everyone!

I cheated and bought zinnias at local nursery...lol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Jim, that's not cheating. We colder zones have to start zinnia seed inside or buy plants ready to bloom to have a good long bloom show. I haven't have much luck just sowing seeds outside after it has warmed up. My friend starts dozens of zinnia plants under lights inside. She planted them out too early a few weeks ago--and believe me, this expert knows better, but we all push cold limits. Anyway, she had lots of cold damage to the zinnias after all that work. I love your Campfire rose.

Kaye, your butterflies are beautiful, and seem so early. We don't get that many out here in the hills. I'm sorry for your wind and rain damage, but your roses still look good in spite of it. We've got the same here, but it's lots worse for you rainwise, I think.

Lovely rose, Rob, and I'm glad to see what I missed. Your All Dressed is just beautiful, and I'll bet it does very well for you from the looks of those blooms. My local nursery goofed my order when I changed the order of All Dressed Up to Quick Silver. They sold my QS and none were left when I went to pick it up. I should have stayed with ADU, since that plant was huge and ready to bloom. Oh, well, now I don't have to scrounge around for a spot for the rose, Quick Silver, that I think would have ended really large here. Diane

• pippacovalent

Flowers, I have no clue what that white rose is...it came with the house with a bunch if other roses I haven't identified. I think it's a hybrid tea here's the whole plant..

It has a strong classic rose fragrance I really love it.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Pippa, whatever it is, it's obviously a good one. The bush looks great - healthy and growing. I won't try to make a guess because I only have 2 whites and not really familiar with many others. Someone will surely recognize it.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Pippa, that's a healthy, lush rose bush, and the white blooms are gorgeous. So creamy and full looking. I grow no white roses, so I'm zero help in IDing your rose. But lucky you.

Flowers, how is your weather? We had a fairly nice day today, so I did a lot of boring work like digging errant grass out of flower beds, and trimming a big boxwood with a pair of scissors (that was fun). If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I've got to transplant a fairly good sized butterfly bush, another fun job. Slowly the roses are opening up, and when prime photography time arrives (at five or so in the afternoon), it's always windy. I'm never going to get any photos at this rate. I hope your roses are coming along nicely. Diane

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

MOTH forefront

Campfire

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, trimming your boxwood with scissors made me think of my mother who scrubbed the rugs with a toothbrush. Neither makes any sense to me, but to each their own. Some might use hedge clippers, but whatever works. Anyway, you started my day off with a smile.

Ahh, the weather! Never has the weather been such a topic! What's up with all this craziness?! Between the extremes of cold, heat, wind and rain, I'm getting nothing done. I've been trying to paint an arbor for a month, and now I think it's too late because of all the growth on it. The row of lilacs have bloomed and are looking a little shabby now, and I never got a pic because of wind. I think the peonies and roses will bloom at the same time and that's never happened before. I'm sure your roses are in their glory and we're all anxiously waiting to see photos!

I wasn't aware that you lost your Quicksilver. I know you were going to have to shoehorn it in, and you're right, it would get outrageously huge for you, but it's a rose I know you would love. The nursery ought to order one and just give it to you.

Jim, you're way ahead of me. Other than the lilacs, there's no color here. Irises look about ready to open, so they'll be first. Your new Campfire looks like it is a good replacement for some of the roses you lost. The blue of your nepeta glows in the low light. You deserve a good season after the last few you've had.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Well, Flowers, I got a laugh out of some of your comments, too (a toothbrush to scrub a rug!?). In my defense, I had given up on my son in law with his electric hedge trimmer, and this boxwood is in a key spot right next to where I have to transplant a butterfly bush. There are plenty more boxwood for him and his blasted trimmer (watch out boxwood, here comes the butcher). Now as for cleaning rugs and other housecleaning--it just doesn't get done much. I haate housework. I know what you mean about wind and trying to take a photo. Plus, yes, the peonies are in time with the roses (except for the ever late Sarah Bernhardt). I agree that Edwards should give me a free Quick Silver for all the business I've given them. I'll go in and demand it--hahaha.

Jim, I wish my cat mint looked as good as yours. Diane

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Thanks Nanadoll! Great to see you posting!

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

@Diane - I was sorry to read you are not getting Quicksilver this year. I purchased it and thought, well I'll try it, but it will never be as nice as nanadoll's!

Well I just discovered that chokecherry trees have the most amazing fragrance. It took me 3 seasons to figure that out. It was my husband who smelt the blooms and told me to check it out. It smells so sweet; like honey, almond & slightly fruity. Or as I said it smells like really, really expensive fancy old lady bath soap! I will post a few pics in the next post. But it just started to open up some blooms today, but this tree is absolutely loaded with buds. I tried to take a few pics to show the delicateness of the little flowers & buds. It looks like a million tiny bubbles. My Siberian crabapple is about to bloom too. And I also have another variety of serviceberry shrub with flowers right now. My lilacs are getting closer to blooms as well as my peony. I think I'm about to start posting photos daily, lol!

I also have planted my veggie patch for the season, which is exciting. I sowed some rainbow carrots & peas. And I planted some tomatoes, sweet pepper, beans, cucumber and my herbs. My husband bought me a little sign at Christmas & surprised me today by attaching it to the shed, while I was at the park with Aiden. Pictures to follow, don't want to mess up my post!

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

Some shed and veggie patch pictures. Still need to paint the door (thinking baby chick yellow) and build a wide step and plant on the sides of the step.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

First 2 pics are the chokecherry tree & the other 2 are a serviceberry shrub.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Blondie, what a darling complex of shed, cool fence and raised beds. I don't think you have a shed there--it's a retreat, and so charming. You need a day bed, pillows, a little table and chair, and all your gardening magazines, books, and catalogs in one convenient place just for you. Oh, a small, well stocked fridge would be neat. I see your gnome is already guarding his territory. Perfect. I hope your cucumbers do better than my plants have done-- they up and died, courtesy of the bad weather. That's a first for me. Now, I'm going to plant cuke seeds instead like I did many years ago. I am actually glad I don't have to deal with QS just now. I have too many tasks to complete as it is. So I'll just enjoy photos of yours and Flowers' QS. My two Love Song roses are so huge they might as well be climbers. They're not blooming yet, but I can't wait. Also can't wait to see your chokecherry photos. Do the chokes produce edible fruit?

All this rain and cool weather has really shown me how big things can grow when they have abundant (but not too much) moisture. I know you all are tired of my big-big mantra. But I've got to mention than I have one Julia Child that's about 8X8 feet. I will prove it with photos soon. Her partner across the sidewalk is about 6.5X7 feet. Big J is the size of a room. The own root Julia in back is hitting her stride and finally following in the footsteps of her big sisters. I hope everyone's weather improves--I read about more disasters in Missouri and other states around them. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Lovely trees with the sweetest flowers, especially the chokecherry. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney

HalloBlondie, your shed and veg garden are so cute! And your gnome makes me laugh. Lovely trees too. Is Aiden loving the swimspa?

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the compliments. The shed was last year's project, which was 99% completed. Inside there are hooks and shelves for garden stuff. On one side he built a table/shelf and put a chair in for me. Unfortunately, there is no power to it, so no refreshment centre to be had. He is also slowly, taking it over with the swim spa extras. Once he finishes the decking; it will all be stored in there. He is going to make storage compartments in the stairs of the decking for the spa stuff (cleaners, bath salts & floaties). We are enjoying it so far. Because the weather is still cool we are keeping it warm. But once the summer weather hits it will be a cool pool instead. It is amazing after a day of physical work. My back will be so sore, but go in there for a bit and then hit the bed and I am out like a light. Aiden likes it and thinks it's fun, but to be honest we put it in for us (the adults) really!

The chokecherry will produce edible fruits, but I'm pretty sure the birds will get them before we do. I like this tree a lot, it starts out green with the white flowers, but by mid summer the leaves change to burgundy until fall. It's a nice ornamental tree.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Rozanne is starting up...

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

Thanks for the beautiful pics. It make me want to move to a new property and start fresh. Lots of beautiful ideas.

• pippacovalent

I just love cranesbill geraniums and Rozanne is such a beautiful variety!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Jim, I'm not sure if my Rozanne plants have started blooming yet, so you may have beat me--great photos. My New Hampshire cranesbill plants are blooming, and best of all, a volunteer New Hampshire turned up in another flower bed and planted itself in a perfect spot! It's blooming, too. That's my kind of gardening--let the plants do all the work. I have some penstemon doing the same thing, and I love it. They're not invasive at all--they are true garden helpers that are paid in manure or compost--ha. Diane

• vaporvac

Love the chokecherry trees. I have the bush Aronia and love the furit, but it's hard to beat the deer. Maybe when I finally fence that area, I'll get some.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

A few more things blooming today. We had another full day of rain today, but the sun came out at about 7 pm and it's quite warm & humid. I think the plants are loving it. First picture is more chokecherry blooms, then my butterfly magnolia. It's a small tree still, but double the blooms from last year. Last pic is one of my geums. Always one of the first perennials to bloom. Early irises are coming next as well as the lilacs. My peony just shot up 6 inches since yesterday and I can see the buds too. Roses are really starting to grow. Other than a few that look pathetic. Oh and when Diane mentioned the size of her Julia's I had to laugh, since mine is currently 8 inches × 6 inches!

• robw1963

Oh and when Diane mentioned the size of her Julia's I had to laugh, since mine is currently 8 inches × 6 inches!

I hear you, HalloBlondie. Mine isn't much bigger.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Looks to be our first rose blooms is from D. KO that's out front...

• pippacovalent

Pansies from a seed mix called Swiss Giant; sweet peas, and a yellow rose that came with my house so is a NOID.