perennialfan275

Is there a way to tell if lupine seeds have received a cold treatment?

I decided to order some lupine seeds to plant this year because my family has a property with very sandy soil and I thought they'd do well in it (yes late start I know but I'm bad at winter sowing). After googling how to plant these seeds, most sites say they need to either receive a cold treatment or nick the seed coats before planting them. Problem is the website I ordered from doesn't say whether the seeds have received this treatment. I also called to ask about the seeds but unfortunately they weren't able to tell me. Is there some way to tell whether the seeds have received this cold treatment? Sorry if this is a silly question but I need to know if these seeds require some special treatment before planting.

• dbarron
    last year
    last modified: last year

Did you receive the seed in moist baggies? if not, then umm no.

You can't dry pack seed after cold/moist stratification.

If they can't tell you something, the answer is almost certainly no.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last year

Concerning your apology (“Sorry if this is a silly question”): No worries.

We here at the Rose Forum handle these types of questions with equanimity all the time.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

nick the seed coats before planting them.

==>>> i found.. with other larger seeds.. that using an emory board or sandpaper worked ...

lay the abrasive flat on the table.. and run the seed across them .. until the seed coat is abused enough.. that water can penetrate ... which is all you need ... [i dont have any ideas if it is tiny seed ....

often .... all the cold does.. is soften said seed coat ... so.. wait for it.. water can invade ...

i think i was doing morning glory ... and after i did a few.. i laid them on a napkin.. and folded it into a plastic baggie .... and a few days later .... you could tell the seed was expanding.. so i then potted them into damp media ... etc ...

i do not know.. if the lupine actually needs the cold.. or its all about just breaking down the seed coat ..

try a few.. and in a few days.. you will know what to do with the rest ...

ken

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    last year

Nicking the coat works as Ken suggested, or I have used nail clippers to create a small opening.

• socks
    last year

I purchased an envelope of lupine seeds from the nursery this spring and they have sprouted.

Loudoun County Landscape & Design Swimming Pool & Patio Construction