0
jc_7a_middletn

Dame Judi Dench

jc_7a_MiddleTN

I’m pretty excited about this one.

This one came from lilyfinch via DavidAustinUSA.

It‘s only been in the ground for 3 weeks and is already showing buds.

The foliage is very clean and goes down to the ground. I’m too new to know if that is normal for baby roses but it looks better than most of the other bare roots.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

It’s “full” looking. Not sure you can tell from the photos.

I’m getting frustrated that I can’t post pictures here or on the app.

• lkayetwvz5

Looks great! I keep asking everyone who has a DJD what she smells like but no one can really say. It's your turn!

• totoro z7b Md

I like its spreading habit.

Houzz is really annoying. I can only post using the app. I even tried firefox instead of chrome on my phone.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

It looks just perfect, with a nice spreading habit. It shouldn't be long before it's covered with flowers.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

I'm also happy with mine so far - I was worried because it was a pretty small bare root & I planted it too deep in the pot (it was getting dark & I didn't have time to redo it), but despite our wet & chilly spring it's filling out nicely, has several buds, and the leaves are totally clean with no spraying! (Some of my other roses currently have powdery mildew and/or rust.)

It's in the smaller pot in front:

Fabulously clean leaves w/ no spray (disclaimer: we don't typically get black spot here):

(On my phone the pics are cutting off - hopefully they display okay....)

jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

It sure looks healthy. I don't have it, but the form reminds me of new Mary Magdalene and Young Lycidas. They both became more upright in their 2nd year, but still have a full, rounded shrub form.

jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Despite a week of cool & rainy weather, mine finally bloomed for the first time! It will be interesting to see how the blooms change, when they aren't cold & damp...

And, literally the very same evening that I wrote my post above from a couple of weeks ago about how healthy it is, a leaflet started showing powdery mildew (eye roll). I just pulled that leaflet off and so far it hasn't spread to the rest of the plant - some of my other roses have a ton of powdery mildew right now. So, overall still very healthy, especially for such a young plant.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Same bloom from this morning, after a sunny but cool & windy day:

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

I think I captured the color poorly.

In person I thought it looked very very orange but my buds look more yellow in the photos.

Hope the first blooms look like yours!

There are several buds in groups of 2-4

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

My buds also looks more bronze-y than I expected them to - it looks like the outer petals tend to be more yellow, while the center is more pink? Here's the next bud in line to open on mine:

From above (more yellow):

Front view (more pink):

And, since yours is in the ground, I'm sure it's going to quickly look way better than mine!!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Wow it looks like an amazing rose !! I love that it isn’t strictly yellow .. how interesting!! Looking forward to seeing more !!

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

I have my eye on this rose as well. As usual, we won't have newer austins available where I live. Please keep us updated on its growth and splendor.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

18 holes of golf and mine is wilted terribly already.

It wasn’t even open last night.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Ugh, too bad re the wilting! It looks like the buds are on the small side to be opening - hopefully as the plant establishes itself they will improve.

P.S. I'm in zone 9, so mine has been planted since early February.

• Rose Lai

when fully open this Dame Judi Dench has an informal rosette look, with petals curving backward. It is quite nice. I have a baby bush just planted in Feb. Here is a picture:

I have to say though I like Carding Mill better as an apricot color rose. I also planted an own root Carding Mill. Here are a couple pictures from a recent bloom:

Both are very healthy here in my micro climate, which is windy, cool and foggy in the SF Bay. Roald Dahl is apricot but more yellow:

Among the 3, Roald Dahl flowers lasted the longest on the bush.

• Lisa Adams

Lovely, all of them! I had expected Dame Judi Dench to be more yellow, as jc shows in his last photos. I’m guessing she’s a rose that shows many different color tones, according to temps, soil, and location. Either way, she’s very pretty, and jc the bush photo from May 11 does indeed look very full, and healthy. I look forward to more pictures.

Rose Lai, your Carding Mill is so much more color saturated than mine. My Carding Mill blooms are normally big, soft peach, globes. I happen to have a few in a small vase right now. I wonder why mine are so much lighter colored?

The very yellow one is Molineux. Lisa

• Rose Lai

Lisa, it seems like both your Carding Mill and Molineux are lighter color than mine. Here is a recent bloom of my own root Molineux:

The weather here in Northern California has been cool, maybe cooler than where you are in Southern California? Perhaps cooler weather brings out more intense color. Or there are differences of our soil... Anyway yours are gorgeous. You know I got my own root Molineux and Carding Mill upon your advice last year (I had a post last year on the forum and your replied). Thank you. I am really happy I got them.

• Lisa Adams

You’re so welcome! I love hearing that someone’s happy with a rose I recommended. We’ve been fairly cool here, too. Maybe it’s my soil, plus those blooms were a bit darker upon opening, but nowhere near as dark as yours. Now that I think about it, I have been hearing on the local news that even though it’s been cloudy and cool, our UV index has been dangerously high. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I’m glad you’re enjoying them! Lisa