0
tartanmeup

Reliable easy to use and clean coffeemaker to recommend?

tartanmeup

I've been using an aluminum "moka" percolator on the stovetop for a while now but an acrid burnt coffee smell overwhelms the house afterwards. I've cleaned the pot inside and out, gasket, funnel...no matter. (Would a stainless Bialetti be easier to clean and solve my problem? ) Not keen on my French press (similar to Bodum) and gave away my Bosch Tassimo because those capsules were getting expensive and the coffee was meh. I only need a cup of coffee every morning so not really interested in a drip maker coffeepot. Hubby is treating me to my choice, even if that means a fancy Italian machine on the countertop that makes noise and spews steam all over. I'm not a coffee snob but I do need my cup every morning. :)

Any suggestions?

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

Oooh, this is a problem I can understand ;-) Have you considered a Chemex pour over? Though if you are not a French Press fan, that may not be the right direction.

If espresso is the goal, I suggest looking at the videos on Seattle Coffee Gear company. They show you how the various machines work and discuss how the coffee tastes.

In my family when I was growing up, the adorable moka pot (one of my favorite design objects ever) was replaced by a Gaggia and a press pot.

From the last time I researched this myself, I was impressed by Gaggia & Breville.

Here is a review of budget espresso machines from Seattle Coffee Gear (I chose the budget category because with these machines, things go from budget to astronomical a bit too fast for my taste and I tend to think the best values are are the bottom and the tippy top.)

PS And since we were discussing cute appliances on another thread. How cute is this??

It's the Ascaso Dream PID machine. Kinda too expensive. I have no idea if it's any good- but seriously cute!

tartanmeup thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • lascatx

I go from one extreme to the other. We have a simple cone and some paper filters to do pour over - into a thermal pot for large groups or for us if the power is out -- saved us during a hurricane, but the rest of the the time we have a Jura super-automatic espresso maker (means it grinds, tamps and brews for each cup at the push of a button). Bought our first one refurbished and my son is still using it about 12 years later. Nothing in between seemed to meet the test and last very long. The machine will run you more that a basic coffee maker, but by now, we have probably saved money even over buying drip makers every time they wore out. Like I said -- one extreme or the other here.

tartanmeup thanked lascatx
  • tartanmeup

Thank you both for this info. Never heard of a Chemex pour over, Rita, nor of the brand Jura, lascatx. Going to watch that video now and research Jura.

• cleo07

I am a pour over person because I love HOT coffee. There are many pour over brands that all work the same way.

One of my other favorites is the Aeropress. It is like a French press but you press through a paper filter which I think removes the superfine grinds and maybe some bitterness. Although there is a lot of different instructions for the Aeropress using a scale and timer, I made it simple. 1/4 cup of coffee in upside down ,pour in water, stir 30 seconds, wait 30 seconds and invert over cup and press. Delicious coffee but only enough for my afternoon cofffee so I do pour over in the am.

tartanmeup thanked cleo07
  • tartanmeup

I was just on Aeropress' site! Saw it mentioned on Reddit. Sounds interesting. Thanks for this info, cleo07.

• arkansas girl

This is not a prestige item/certainly not fancy...but we use a one cup pot by Black & Decker that produces a great tasting single cup of coffee at less than $30. Black & Decker Brew N Go one cup coffee pot This is just a little miniaturized version of a large 10 cup coffee pot. It has a built in coffee filter. We use ours daily. When my husband gets home from work, he drinks a cup of coffee. You can use the provided cup or, like my husband does, just put your own cup under the dripping coffee. There are no pods to buy, just put a 1/8 cup scoop of coffee into the tiny screen style basket and brew. Washing the basket is simple. I don't know if it's gift worthy, but we sure use the heck out of this coffee pot.

tartanmeup thanked arkansas girl
  • theclose

Our main coffeemaker is a Technivorm Moccamaster I brew two cups each morning. Love it. Have had it for 5 years and really like the coffee. When I had to send it in for a minor repair (a small leak that was there when we bought it but I was too lazy to send it in- I didn’t want to be without it!), I did some research on pour overs and ended up with the Bodum. Chemex was too pricey since this was going to be temporary. The Bodum made a great cup of coffee. Would recommend either! There are smaller capacity Bodum as well.

tartanmeup thanked theclose
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Love my Moccamaster.

tartanmeup thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • tartanmeup

I don't need fancy, arkansas girl. Was even contemplating going back to instant coffee. :) This sounds like it would meet my needs. Not familiar with the Moccamaster so thanks for this info, theclose. Didn't even realize Bodum had pour over models. I have quite a few options to consider.

Btw, for whatever reason, I'm not getting notifications on this thread. Just happened to glance at my feed and spotted the update this morning.

• straitlover

If you need options, I like this little one i got for my office. You can make in a small pot, a travel mug, a regular cup/mug or do pour over. I got at Walmart, but Target and Amazon also have it. Target's has stainless touches, and Amazon's come w/ a coffee mug.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DECKER-4-in-1-5-Cup-Coffeemaker-Black-CM0750B/981923626

tartanmeup thanked straitlover
  • seagrass_gw

My husband swears by his Aeropress and I use a Melitta cone single cup pour over. Only two of us in the house - we get up at different times and each only drink one cup in the morning...

tartanmeup thanked seagrass_gw
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

I will give you very not fancy and very retro lol -- a Presto percolator,

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02822-Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Percolator/dp/B002LVUIK8

I love mine, even though I had a heck of a time finding one in Canada.

tartanmeup thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • writersblock

Beckysharp, are the innards of that one plastic or stainless? I would love a percolator but all I can find these days is plastic, except for the stove-top models.

After many experiments I’ve gone back to my old 4-cup Mr Coffee, but I have no idea of what the new ones are like. I'd like to get away from all the plastic, but I don't want to have to seriously involved in the brewing process the way I have to be when using my ceramic pour over filter.

tartanmeup thanked writersblock
  • Yayagal

We have used Farberware electric percolators for years, stainless and very attractive. We love Farberware.

tartanmeup thanked Yayagal

writers, the innards of my Presto percolator are stainless . The only plastic parts are the base, the handle, and the little handle on the lid on top -- basically anything that touches the countertop or is grasped by human hands.

I am scarred from years of watching my late father make coffee oh so very slowly with his Chemex. No-one else in the family was allowed to use it, wash it, or otherwise touch it. And he made only a very small amount -- one cup for himself, one cup for my mother, and when I was visiting half a mug for me. My mother said it made her feel like Oliver -- "please, sir, may I have some more?" She ended up resorting to Sanka lol.

• writersblock

Thanks, becky. When I looked at the Presto 4-cup a few years back the main complaint was that the inside was all plastic. Glad to know they listened. Now if they could just go back to the clear glass knob on the lid. :)

• OutsidePlaying

We use a Cuisinart 12 cup electric drip coffee maker. Glass carafe with the reusable filter. Yes there are plastic parts but easy to clean like the lid and the other filter piece. It’s the second or third one we have had over many years. It makes good, hot coffee.

writers, I've had my Presto 12-cup for about 3-4 years now.

Now if they could just go back to the clear glass knob on the lid. :)

Worth keeping an eye open at garage sales and Goodwills for an older version!

• writersblock

Yes, it was only the small one that was so plastic-y. Very annoying.