0
eeyora68

island seam is off

Claudia Castillo
This is the photo they said my island would look they said they would have to shave off 2 inches to make continue the flow but when it was installed it is off about a 1/2” is that acceptable? If not what should I ask for? They don’t want to redo it and offered me 150.00 off

• Pam A

I would have them remove the 2". That is a mismatch that would bother me. It's such a beautiful and dramatic surface. Any other option on the table? $150 feels like a very small amount when I'm guessing the counters were at least $8k. If they were closer to $5k then that would actually be a bargain and it would be easier to swallow.

Do you have a picture of it from 3' away? That would help a lot in understanding how much it jumps out (or doesn't).

• mark_rachel

I would probably ask for a bigger discount & leave it alone.

• Claudia Castillo
    Here are some more photos
    GreenDesigns

It looks pretty good. Take the money and run.

• weedmeister

It's the kinda thing I would put a flower pot on to cover it up.

Joseph or another stone person may have an idea if it could be touched up so that the white mismatch is less noticeable.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

That's never going to match perfectly and the match isn't bad. Take the money and fugaboudit please.

Morningstar Stone & Tile

We agree with Joseph. Working with natural material that has movement like this is a challenge to match up exactly. Also, when an island is done to the size that exceeds a full slab, you're now dealing with a two slab job (not sure if this is the case with this project). Matching seams from two slabs, even from the same bundle, is exceedingly difficult.

• pigeen

So probably best not to send a customer an image showing a perfect match.

• Bri Bosh
    Oh wow you went with black counters?? I thought you were going light! Hope you’re keeping the backsplash bright.

I would push for a bigger discount.
    The worst they can say is no and they DID send you a template where it’s matched. If they couldn’t do this they shouldn’t have told you they could...JMHO.
  • ghostlyvision

From the pic that's the only vein they had to match (and they failed), I probably wouldn't ask for a do-over but they should probably compensate you a bit better than 150.00, the mismatch is right in the middle of everything and hard to not see. In the grand scheme though, it's a stunning top (with only a small imperfection).

• Claudia Castillo
    Bri, I was trying to go light but had issues with slabs and I ended up only having 3 to choose from. The countertops are white I haven’t chosen a backsplash but it will be light.
    Ghostly, that how I feel it’s the only vein they had to match and took 2” off my overhang to try to match the vein.
  • oldryder

I am a fabricator. Looks like a good job to me. It's usually impossible to match every seam and the other one closer to the arc looks perfect; i.e. it wasn't possible to get both to line up so the fabricator did the best he could given the material.

• weedmeister

how's the seam on the sink side?

• Claudia Castillo
    It’s just black so and it looks good
  • Pam A

BTW - I have that same sink and LOVE it. No matter what you choose to do about the seam, I think you will love it, too. Your counter is stunning with the white cabinets.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Here's the same sink, except I've welded a faucet deck on so it can be retrofitted. The alteration costs as much as the sink.

• Claudia Castillo
    Wow Joseph! That is really beautiful I can’t even tell how you did that.