0

Need help with rug and art for dining room

Gloria

Hello, I got new dining table and chairs, I kept the art that I had but I am not married to it. I am struggling to find a rug and coordinated art that will look good on this space. I have a large mirror that helps to make the space look bigger. Any help from Houzz experts will be much appreciated :) Thank you!

BeverlyFLADeziner

I lowered your framed artwork and suggest you move the chair to the other end of the table where there is more room. Mount a canvas over the mirror using Command Tape Hooks so you still get the advantage the mirror provides but update the appearance.

I would only consider a very flat sisal rug for the area.

Gloria thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
    Expat Home Styling

Love the gray neutral scheme. A large rug with subtle colors from the art? It would make the room look cosier.

Gloria thanked Expat Home Styling
  • Gloria

Thank you for the comments and suggestions! Never thought of a canvas mounted on the mirror, will definitely look into that because the mirror brings light but it is dated... would you say that I should keep the art that I have now? I was thinking on changing it to bring some colors...not sure though. Any suggestions for the rug? Thank you!

• kathyshuter
    Yes, pictures are too boring for area. Is that big print from Z Gallerie? I had similar pic and same light fixture too (in FLA) condo! Also a mirrored wall, which I hung a big textured wood piece. Fur rug (white) under table and updated pictures will bring your room up to date!
    Gloria thanked kathyshuter
  • Gloria

You mean the big canvas on the mirror? I don’t have that one. It was added by Beverly Do you have a picture of the wood over the mirror? I love the light fixture :)

• Waynette Bailey
    As an artist, I would say that artwork is a personal thing. If you're questioning what you have, it's time for a change. Don't let anyone else choose your artwork. You'll have a feeling for what works when you see it. That takes patience.
    Gloria thanked Waynette Bailey
    BeverlyFLADeziner

You can select anything in art because the backdrop is neutral. Just depends on your preferences.

Gloria thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
    RL Relocation LLC

the mirrors take over a bit. But I notice that your light fixture is under scaled for the table now, and that would help fill some of the area up. I like your art work.

Gloria thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Gloria

Thank you, agree that art is a matter of preference. i am not good at picking art and coordinating it with rugs, I have seen some amazingly well paired options here and is always a pleasure to hear from the Pros :)

the table is 96” x 40” what size rug should I get?

thanks again

• decoenthusiaste

For rug size, add 36-42" to each side of the table top. Tape that out with painter's tape on the floor. If your taped rug runs into baseboards or furniture that is against the walls, you don't have floor space for one here. Is there an 8th chair? The smallest rug you could get by with would be one only 24" larger than each side for chair scoot and sit space, but it will look skimpy with the heavy visual of the chunky table legs.

Gloria thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Gloria

Ok, will do that. Yea, I have an 8th chair that is next to the sofa in the living room because I didn’t like the look of so many chairs ...

• Gloria

Thanks RL Relocation, I like your suggestion for the lamp. It is a dilemma, I like the one that I have now but the larger one is a much better fit for the space

Thank you!

• niccidhg
    I like your artwork . I also like your current light fixtures. I think the black compliments the art framing and the curvilinear lines are nice with your chair backs .
    Gloria thanked niccidhg
  • niccidhg
    ...fixture
    RL Relocation LLC

I like your current one too, it just feels a bit small for the table that is there now.

Gloria thanked RL Relocation LLC