katmiller0
4 years ago

Please factor in only color- these are not ironed or hung like they will be-

Lighter
Darker

Comments (28)

• odin08075
    4 years ago

lighter-- but lined to give the curtain more body and fall nicer from the rod. The curtain you have up now looks stiff to me.

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

lighter-- but lined to give the curtain more body and fall nicer from the rod. The curtain you have up now looks stiff to me.

Agree.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The darker ones flow well with the fireplace.

If the drapes are decorative only, you are good with one panel. If functional, you need more. Obviously, they need to be hemmed, ironed and trained.

You have a lot of dark pieces in the space. When budget allows, I'd get a lighter coffee table.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly, do you think it’s ok if I don’t do the 2 panels? And do it to either side like pictured? I’m not going to win this battle with my husband, he insists the wall speakers on either side of the tv not be covered by curtains. I know they will not effect sound but we choose our battles.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree we have too much dark furniture but unfortunately its all brand new so we’ll deal with it for a while. We picked 27 pieces of furniture in 5 hours at the store with a 6 year old in tow- the choices weren’t all the wisest ones But fortunately I do like most of it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

It is fine to hang the panels as you have them. Move them to stack tighter and train them by tying a loose string around them, so they remain stacked.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    4 years ago

Instead of one panel I would do a faux roman shade if you're keeping the blinds.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Oh I didn't see the speakers. Better to have peace in the house and have the panels on the one side. just make sure the draperies are neat and kind of pleated.

You could have done a casual shade instead and not had to worry about the speakers and still have a finished window.

https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/bali-classic-roman-shade/?pkey=croman-shades&isx=0.0.200

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I’m trying to “train my drapes” - I ironed them, folded them, I can’t really wrap them because of the way they’re folded. Am I doing something wrong? Unfortunately they’re 108 inches, I can’t just leave them like this for days.

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Expand your curtain rods and get more of the curtain off the glass to let in more light.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I do one of two things: Use hair clips to clip them together at various vertical spacings or tie twine around them at various vertical spaces on the drapes.

Are they hung? Can you show us a photo of what youv'e done?

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do not have them up yet, only one is ironed and the other is still laying folded on the ground . They are linen, in afraid wrapping them will just wrinkle them again.

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    4 years ago

the darker ones are nicer, the lighter ones wash out the room. its too matchy matchy with the wall color.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

You should be ironing the into accordian pleats. See how in the above photo they are loosely wrapped? With a drape that wrinkles easily, try wrapping them in a ribbon. Instead of tying the ribbon, Then use a safety pin or a straight pin to secure them. Then, you won't get an indentation from the sting.

Leave them on for at least a week. If you can go longer, great.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hair clips and ribbone - one down, one to go

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

You are doing great! Can you pull them any tighter together with the ribbon? Understand that, when you release them, they will spring out some. So, you should compress them more like the photo I provided above.

They cannot feel the pain. LOL.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

katmiller0 thanked njmomma
  • katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All set up- thank you for your help! Now I need to do the living room, dining room, movie room and bedroom. But enough for today!!

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Nice room. Do widen the rods. Add something colorful to the center of the coffee table.

Lacquer Rectangle Tray, French Red w/Gray Trim · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m stuck with the rod as is. For some reason our paint doesn’t match when we touch up so we’d have to paint all 30 feet. That won’t happen. I also have a young child so we can’t really do stuff on the coffee table.

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

The rod itself isn't adjustable bu a few inches? No, don't move the brackets. Oh, the baby days. My glass coffee table went into storage hasn't come back yet. :-)

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The rod is adjustable by a lot but the curtain wouldn’t be outside the bracket.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I finished “training my drapes”- I think they’d look good, thank you all for your help! I figured out how to make them a little wider so they cover less of the window too.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

They look great! They are kissing the floor slightly. Do you like that look? I usually recommend they are about 1/2" off the floor, but if you prefer them like this, it is fine also.

katmiller0 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • katmiller0
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My measurements didn’t account for how heavy the fabric was and that it would hang lower because of that. I dont love that they kiss the ground but I can live with it until I get motivated to get them Hemmed.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Right.....and of course, once you train them, they will hang lower also. They look great. Hemming them can be placed way down on your "to do" list.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

If you're not going to be opening and closing them all the time, kissing the floor is fine and looks good, too. They also look best not more than 1/4" off the floor.

What else looks good is if you spread the bottom out, just slightly, rather than straight up and down.