0
sreents

Show me your real life two tone kitchen ideas please

Stef

I desperately want blueberry cabinets on red oak. Unfortunately doing the whole kitchen in painted oak is not in my budget. Attached is the current plan (that I love but cannot afford) Please show me how you did your two tones so I can decide how to play the blue in my kitchen. Note we will have 9 foot ceilings with a 4 12 cathedral in kitchen. I really love all the details with the finished paneling on the end cabinets and the tall cabinets with glass on top and do not want to sacrifice the detail.

I have paged through pics on houzz but of course all the kitchens are very high end. I am looking for more "normal" size kitchens.

One of my thoughts is to do the stove wall in all blue and the window/fridge wall in a stained and the island in stained. Thoughts?

Rachel Zylstra, Realtor

I think stained and blue would be beautiful, but I think the island and stove wall should be blue and the back wall stained. That being said, why are you painting on red oak? Oak is beautiful stained but there are better paint grade woods that would be smoother and cost less.

Below is my white & green two tone kitchen.

I would not find that combination appealing and I agree if painted is what you want go MDF for the painted ones it takes paint much better does not expand and contract.Also get an invisible support for your island and forget the end cabinets that inhibit stool placement. BTW all those base cabinets should be drawers.

• Casamacho

What is the appeal of red oak? How far over budget are you? I love the combo.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Here is a blue kitchen with a stained island

Here is the before and after kitchen remodel. All blue with white

Here is a blue kitchen with a white island

Here is an all blue kitchen with white counters

I know this kitchen isn't blue, but I like the white backdrop with a blue island and accent tile. An all blue kitchen, if there isn't tons of natural light can be difficult.

• frodaddi

We replaced a peninsula with a blue/grey (SW "Storm Cloud") island, kept our cherry perimeter cabinets.

• stillpitpat

I love two-tone and I wanted white, blue, and wood, so this is what I did in my small kitchen.

• joycedjay
    The value of the perimeter cabinets and the island are too close. You need more contrast i.e., lighter stain on the island or lighter perimeter cabinets.
  • cpartist

You shouldn't use oak for painted cabinets. Maple is what is commonly used along with MDF.

Here's mine with white perimeter cabinets and an quarter sawn stained oak island. My perimeter cabinets are painted maple.

Pine Street Carpenters & The Kitchen Studio

Here are some two tone kitchens we did. Hope they help - and good luck with your project!

Kitchen Remodel in Wayne, PA · More Info

Kitchen Remodel with Inset Cabinetry, West Chester, PA · More Info

Deck House Remodel in Wilmington, DE · More Info

Fun Kitchen & Bath (Three of them!) Remodel in 1914 Mount Airy Home · More Info

Kitchen Remodel in Glen Mills, PA · More Info

West Chester Kitchen featuring Dura Supreme Craftsman Panel Door · More Info

• Kim H

Here is my blue and white kitchen. I went white for the main cabinets with navy on a section closer to the dining room. We used a combo of Maple and MDF for the cabinets since they are all painted.

• Casamacho

Kim H - love!!! Where is your stove? Do you have more photos? Is there a pantry next to the fridge?

• Kim H
    Thanks so much! I’m really happy with it. Our kitchen is shaped like a backwards P and the stove is on the wall to the left of that area
  • Kim H
    The pantry is across from the fridge. We tucked it under the stairs so the top is just 6” deep and the bottom has full depth pull outs. Also here’s the whole blue section.
    Beth H. :

I always loved this blue two-toned kitchen. They used Mozart Blue with black glaze

• Stef

Thanks everyone for your photos and thoughts. The reason I want to do paint on Red oak is the grain comes through the paint/tint and just gives the wood a completely rustic look that I love. When I look at the same color chip done on MDF/maple I just don't care for it as much.

I am trying to figure out an affordable way to put color in my new kitchen build without breaking the bank.