0
nbpk

exterior design help! 80s update.

N
We are beginning to plan to update the exterior of our home we’re thinking about painting the stucco and dark brown trim/accents and updating/adding light fixtures and landscaping looking for other ideas and thoughts. Added a close up to show detail of brick/stucco/trim. Thank you!

The landscaping is the thing that looks the worst IMO.I would replace the stucco with siding because I do not think brick and stucco work together. A couple more pics of the house from futher back to see the whole front would be helpful.Iam one that believes painting brick devalues a home so that would be my last resort.I would also like to see the back of the house these decisions have to include the whole house.

BeverlyFLADeziner

I would work on getting people from the driveway to the front door. That looks like a trek. A staircase is needed, but maybe one made from flagstone instead.

RL Relocation LLC

I might white wash the brick, and keep to a similar color for the whole exterior. The biggest thing i notice is the brick facade on the garage side which is taking over the whole look of the house. Idk what sort of project you want to get into but I think you either need to unify the paint sceme or create a divide from the lower garage and top half to break up all that brick. Also the front door needs a pop of color. Using a pergola with some vines might help do that as well.

For the landscape. I would remove all those shrubs, and possibly relocate them in the new design. I also think having some actual sod would be good for this front yard. But we need a straight on shot of the yard to help you with that.

• N
    Here are two more photos that show the front.

There are a couple of issues that pop out to me. First, I have no issues with the brick and think that a paint color scheme for trim and/or stucco is entirely your choice, although I would tend towards lighter and more neutral shades.

But that slanted retaining wall just screams out at me as does the wooden walkway and stairs! IMO. that looks rather cheap and very temporary. And dangerous/slippery when wet. If it were mine, I would spend some dollars redoing the retaining wall in a more traditional stepped down manner and as was suggested previously, cut into that slope with some sort of decent and well-constructed masonry steps and walkway. You can continue the walk to the end of the drive or street as well if you wish but a shorter, safer and more permanent access to the entry is definitely called for!!

• celerygirl

Some idea to leave windows as is. Trim paint with cream. Stucco with brick color.

Focal Point Hardware

the stucco if possible should be sanded down. its too rough and old looking. also change the color to a very light gray. the window frames could be changed to black, and the garage door also should be changed to black. the landscaping needs to be redone. the pictures that other people sent look with the longer graduating steps.

RL Relocation LLC

Ok so yes remove those shrubs, and go for some water friendly tall grasses and softer plantings. carry that over to in front of the porch and perhaps a tree on the right side lawn to give some privacy between the two lots?

I really think adding a trellis or pergola over the garage would be nice. I like the cream colors above.

• N
    Loving all of the visuals and suggestions, thank you all!
  • N
    What about shutters on lower windows? The same color as trim and stucco?
  • celerygirl

I would go with No shutters

RL Relocation LLC

shutters wont work on your lower windows, that is already got enough going on with the porch anyway. The only place shutters could work, but size wise will not are the uppers. you dont need those you just need a fresh paint scheme and landscape.

Dig Doug's Designs

one possibility:

• N
    Love that slate/stone walkway carve out
  • Brown Dog

I wouldn't go darker with your house, I'd lighten everything up. Choose a colour from the lightest brick and paint everything that is currently brown this new lighter creamy tan colour including the stucco, front door, garage door, window trim, door trim and posts. I would also smooth out the stucco and beef up the posts. Combine the lighter colour with Dig Dougs beautiful landscape design above. Good that you are including new lighting. Would be nice to add lighting to the garage level and the path to the front door.

Beth H. :

love Dougs design! show that to your landscaper and have them do something like his pic.

for the stucco and trim, here are some possible colors you could sample

• N
    Using the lightest brick color is a good idea. We would ideally use grey shades but the brown roof was new when we purchased the house so we can’t justify replacing it.
  • tony jelly

I like Dig Doug's idea as it combines, Beverley's and Gardengal's thoughts. I think some effort put into the drive and the sloping area would pay dividends and may alleviate the problem you are having with the facade of the house, that I like incidentally.

• tony jelly

Surely advertising is against the forum rules

• N
    We were originally toying with painting the brick, but you’ve given me so much to think about. Going to look into realigning our budget to increase for landscaping and potentially new walkway to front door. Keep ‘em coming!
    RL Relocation LLC

Doug nailed the landscape, as usual!

• K Laurence

Re-landscaping will have the greatest impact ....paint the trim, etc. If needed & leave the brick as is.

• N
    Thanks again for all of the help and ideas— this forum is a gem!
  • Brown Dog

Bad form Soothing Company! Pretty ballsy to use this forum to flog your wares. Shame! I won't be buying from you.

• N
    One more question for you wonderful experts. Should we paint the upper window frames dark to match the newer, lower windows?
    RL Relocation LLC

If they can be painted yes.

• N

Thanks for that thread, love the samples @groveraxle provided, it really updates that home!

• decoenthusiaste

Here's and inspiration pic for your sloped landscaping and the house itself.

View from the Front · More Info