0
cherades

Kitchen remodel floorplan help...sink in island?

cherades

Don't have many options on how to set things up...I really didn't want to have sink in island, do I have enough room for it on same wall as stove? I think I will hate having it in the island because at least if your island is clean your kitchen feels clean, even when the stove and sink aren't. If you can't see it clearly, the wall between refrigerator and pantry is 150" (12.5 ft.), and the island is 11 feet (that seems too big to me!)

• Casamacho

If the sink can't be under a window then 100% do the sink in the island. With your layout the island is the best place. We have this now and it's a very deep undermount you can't see anything inside it unless you get very close lol. Plus it's great to interact with family, company, etc while tending to the dishes. You don't want to face a wall IMO.

Can you make the island deeper?

• cpartist

Start by getting rid of the awful corner pantry. How long is the bottom wall?

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

Is this a new build or a remodel?

Mark Bischak, Architect

Put the barn doors on the corner pantry and get rid of both.

• cherades

It's an addition/remodel. The island could be made deeper. The window could be moved to accommodate a sink on that wall. I'm not a huge fan of a corner pantry either but not sure how to do it to get the walk in storage I want.?? I was doing to get cabinet doors on the pantry.

It's an addition/remodel.

What does the rest of the main floor look like, in terms of plans, and where are you in the process (for example, have you started demo)? Also, what part of the drawing is the addition?

• cherades

cpartist I think it's close to 10ft. best I can tell.

• cpartist

can you show us at minimum a rough floor plan of how the kitchen relates to the other rooms? And can you give us measurements for the walls etc in the kitchen?

• cpartist

Also how large a pantry do you need? How many kids do you have?

Do you have a problem moving the pantry to the mudroom?

• cherades

I can't get any pics to load! So aggravating. I will keep trying. 3 kids cpartist and my dream was a walk in pantry but....I know in remodels all your dreams won't come to light so...

• cherades
    Not sure if you will be able to see this clearly
  • cherades
    The dashed line you see running through the family room, down the island and through to the right side is where the house currently ends. So that’s all new, along with mudroom and garage. Office is also a new little addition to side. The “living” room will become the kids rec room. Those pocket doors already exist there.
  • cherades
    The pantry is where I would want to keep crockpots and blenders, snacks, etc. doesn’t have to be huge by any means just convenient.
  • lyfia

I'm thinking this is one where I'd create a cleanup sink in the area where the door to the screened porch is, move that door to the end closer to the living room and have a prep sink in the island. Shrink the island size some and create a walk in pantry that is rectangular. At least this way you are using some of that open space that won't be able to hold anything with the way the door is currently so lots of wasted space.

Barnes Custom Builders

I agree that if the sink can't be in front of a window, the island would be the next best option. I personally don't want to stare at a wall while I'm using the sink, doing dishes etc.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

If you omit the corner pantry, you could have separate clean-up and prep zones, with the prep sink on the island. The dirty dish mess would be off to the side, closer to the DR--not front and center on the island. Dishes could be stored on the sink wall, or in drawers on the side of the island facing the DW.

And, if you can extend the new office down along the stair wall, you could have a walk-in pantry. That would add to the footprint, and budget, though.

Or, leave the office as drawn, but put a reach-in pantry on the short wall, with the clean-up sink under the window;

• cherades
    Interesting ideas! I was just concerned it would be too crammed on the oven wall to put sink there as well. We could center window above wherever sink would go.
  • cpartist

What about something like this?

Also do you need the full bath by the entry? If not, that frees up more space.

Actually you can make the shower longer across the whole back wall too.

• cherades
    Well, I would possibly consider losing the shower...but we only have one full bath upstairs for us and 3 kids...
  • cherades
    I could also give up a couple feet on office if that would help
  • cpartist

I did leave it in the redesign just in case

• cpartist

I don't think the office is an issue.

• cpartist

Why I like my version:

I like that the DW is next to the dining room making it easy for cleanup.

I like that there's a nice work triangle between prep sink, fridge and stove and that the cleanup sink acts as a secondary prep area.

I like that there is lots and lots of counter space for working.

I like that the pantry is right next to the fridge and that both are close to the garage so when taking in groceries, it's easy to put them away and you're not walking back and forth across the kitchen to put some stuff in the pantry and some in the fridge.

I like the L shaped layout as it makes it easy to move around.

Like in Mama's plan, i like that there's plenty of room in the island for both a drawer microwave and a trash pullout.

• cherades
    Cpartist There is a lot I like about that for sure although I think I would probably choose the sink in the island over facing a wall...and a wall oven is a must.
  • shead

Do you need the window in on the range run? What direction does that side of the house face?

I'm wondering what it could be like if you ditched the window and made the exterior area between the office and the bathroom usable space. I really shouldn't cost that much more in footers, etc. to get the additional square footage.

• cpartist

would probably choose the sink in the island over facing a wall...and a wall oven is a must.

There is a sink in the island. 70% of our time is spent prepping and that is why the prep sink is on the island. We spend about 10% of the time cleaning up and that is why the clean up sink is against the wall.

.and a wall oven is a must.

That's the beauty of this plan. You have plenty of room for a wall oven. It can go next to the fridge.

• cherades
    Would you leave fireplace where it is or put on back wall? Screen porch is going behind family room not kitchen as shown. Not sure where to put tv either as I def do t want it above fireplace.
  • cherades
    shead...window there is a must as I want a point of view to the driveway. That side faces north.
  • cpartist

Would you leave fireplace where it is or put on back wall? Screen porch is going behind family room not kitchen as shown.

Are you thinking of putting the fireplace on the wall where you'll have the screened porch? And is the screened porch facing west?

Not sure where to put tv either as I def do t want it above fireplace.

Is that for aesthetic reasons or because it will be too high if it's above the fireplace. While I'm not a fan of tv's above a fireplace, in my living room it was the only logical place and what we did was get a Mantel Mount which works great.

If it's aesthetic reasons, my question is are you planning on watching during the day and if so do you have wide eaves outside the south windows?

• cherades
    Cpartist...yes the back wall faces west, I was thinking of putting it there or the wall it’s currently on. I want tv at eye level and we have a 70” one plus I think it detracts from beauty of fireplace when they are that big. Also toyed with putting the fireplace or tv in corner. Will probably have access on that west wall to the screen porch (unless we just access it from outside through the kitchen door to patio)
  • cherades
    Tv does get watched during the day...but I will have blind or curtains I can pull to control light so I’m not worried about that aspect