0
nedelabiama

Help with picking a color for a rug

nedelabiama
last modified: May 15, 2019

Hello,This is my husband and I's first apartment and we really want it to look good.Long story short, we wanted a grey, white and black theme with an accent color (initially turquoise) but the dining room set we ordered is black and brown (instead of black and white and we can't return it). It also came with the brown/reddish rug (that was free).Now my husband still wants the turquoise accent color and want to buy a rug of that color for the living room. I feel like the turquoise rug would clash with the brown of the dining room. I wanted to go with a black rug (and use gold as an accent color for pillows and other deco). We are planning to buy a white gloss TV stand and get a bigger TV. What are you thoughts, experts?

• hollybar

Pictures needed. Sometimes they will post easier in the comments than in the post.

edit to add: What are the colours of the fabrics in the living room? (sofas,chairs,drapes,pillows) Are the two rooms open to each other?

nedelabiama thanked hollybar
  • nedelabiama

I have to upload the picture one by one or they don't upload :(

• hollybar

Lovely apartment with plenty of light. The rug though is too small for the dining space (a rug under a dining table needs to extend far enough from the table that all chairs stay on it at all times. Including when people are getting in and out of said chairs....comfort first!) and detracts from the set in general. I would not put a rug in that dining room at all. Now,if you are set on another rug on the living room, seems to me your options are quite open. Just make sure it is large enough for all front sectional feet to sit on it at minimum.

nedelabiama thanked hollybar
  • groveraxle

Skip the rugs altogether. Definitely lose the one in the dining room; it's way too small. You really don't need a rug over carpet and since your style is contemporary, it will look better without one.

nedelabiama thanked groveraxle
  • nedelabiama

Thank you all for your answers! We will definitely get rid of the rug in the dining room. In case we did go with a rug in the living room, what dimensions would be good enough? 6x9? 7x10 or 8x10?

• suzyq53

Looks like 7x10 if you put a lot under the sectional, but tape it out.

nedelabiama thanked suzyq53
  • suzyq53

Does it have to be all turquoise or something mixed like this can pull things together?

Nourison Celestial Modern Abstract Area Rug, Sealife, 6'7"x9'7" · More Info

nedelabiama thanked suzyq53
  • groveraxle

No reason you can't use teal accents with that dining set after you get rid of the rug.

nedelabiama thanked groveraxle
  • nedelabiama

@suzyq53 this is the kind of look my husband wanted to go with but I guess it doesn't have to be that way?

We were also looking at getting a similar painting. I don't want to overdo it with the turquoise either

• nedelabiama thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

Please do not get one of those multiple canvases in different sizes, or any canvas that they cut up into pieces. They are an affront to art.

• suzyq53

This is a rug similar to the one I posted. Your's shouldn't be this long.

Setauket · More Info

nedelabiama thanked suzyq53
  • nedelabiama

@groveraxle thank you! Your pictures really helped visualizing what we had in mind! LOL, sorry I'm no expert, I didn't know that those types of canvas were bad!

• nedelabiama

@suzyq53 thanks for the color idea! I will see if I can find something similar.

• hollybar

Consider doing the entire space first and then a rug. Why? So far your style seems to be leaning more contemporary and sleek. A rug over a rug undercuts that. Also, sometimes a rug over a rug,besides being a tripping hazard,alters the rug below. In a rental, you don't want to do that. (No one wants to do that!) Put your $$$ into the items that you can take with you and that won't potentially cost your deposit. The finished space will look all the better .

nedelabiama thanked hollybar
  • nedelabiama

Thanks for the advice @hollybar! I agree. We will focus on getting the TV stand and other decorative items. After removing the rug in the dining room, the whole space looks better already.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Give you table a 1/4 turn so there is more room to get around the chairs.

• Dawn Martinez

So agree with others, rugs on wall to wall carpeting isn't easy and not a great look. Your space is very pretty, add your colors with pillows and decorative accents; lamps, vases, art and real plants (you have so much nice light). Enjoy!

BeverlyFLADeziner

BTW your fan blades have wilted from the humidity. You need blades that are outdoor rated. Frankly, that dining room is not the right place for a fan. Select a chandelier.

• groveraxle

Beverly, it's an apartment. I doubt they can replace the fan.