0

weed in Pennsylvania hay field

Julia Bell

Can you tell me the name of this plant? It grows wild in the grass in an area that was previously a hay field in eastern Pennsylvania but is now mowed as grass.

If you recognize it, any recommendations on how to kill it? We end up needing to "cut the grass" every week or so in the summer when really all we are doing is cutting down this particular weed - the actual grass doesn't grow nearly as fast. This covers nearly 10 acres, so it out really isn't an option.

• thedecoguy

Plantain. Plantago sp.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The leaves would be needed for a definite id but this could be Plantago lanceolata.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i was a stay at home dad.. and i raised the kids on the 5 acres ... and i had to mow once a week.. so they didnt end up with burns between there calloused toes ... it didnt seem to bother them..a s much as it bothered me ....

also ... as you noted.. by july.. all the grasses had gone drought dormant.. since it was 5 acres of sand.. and former horse pasture... i probably shortened my life by a few years.. from all the dust created by mowing these devil weeds ...

i suppose you could find an appropriately labeled broadleafed weedkiller.. and go to town on it .... but it would probably be cost prohibitive on a large lot ...etc ...

this was an easy Id... next time.. offer a pic of the leaves ....

good luck .... let us know if you end up winning the fight ...

ken

btw: by the time the grass went dormant brown... the weeds were the only thing green out there... so on some level.. it was a love/hate thing ... lol ...

• Julia Bell

I'm not sure what you mean by "leaves." I'm attaching a picture that shows these grow just as a stem all the way to the ground. None of them have leaves coming out of the stem. And a picture that shows it in the ground from which I pulled it to take the picture.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

when given a latin name.. that i am not familiar with .... i do this... to see the whole plant ....

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Plantago+lanceolata.&t=ffcm&ia=images&iax=images

• macranthos

There are definitely leaves. Here are some in your picture.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes. It certainly has leaves. And they match P lanceolata. If you get down low and part the grass and clover you'll be to see them. They're a rosette on the ground. They don't grow up the flower stem. That's why this is such a successful lawn weed. The mower can't touch the leaves.