0
agoswa

living room design, reupholstering furniture and arrangement

agoswa
last modified: May 15, 2019

We recently renovated our house. I have some good furniture pieces from before the remodel (beautiful silk carpet that pulled things together). I wanted to make the room less formal and bought the carpet shown and am wanting to upholster the chairs and ottoman.

We changed the stone around the fire place to a black granite and kept the oak surround. The room is weirdly asymmetrical. Measures 23 x 15 feet. The pictures have been taken from the entryway foyer. I hope to keep sheer curtains. I was thinking of black velvet ottoman and for the chairs, fabric which is soft black with smudgy cream highlights. Hope to tie in the couch with some accent pillows which have some black (something textured

/ handloom).

The wall adjacent to the fireplace will have a large canvas with bold colors.

I hope to create a neutral seating area with bright art around it.

The paint on the walls is Sherwin Williams Passive

Please comment / suggest on

1. color choices for furniture items

2. placement of furniture

I think I made a mistake with the rug - worst case scenario can move it to the basement :( and buy new.

Thanks a lot!

• Brown Dog

I like your upholstered furniture as is. They are slightly different styles but all pulled together with the cream colour. If you start changing the colour on some of the pieces you run the risk of fracturing the current cohesiveness. The rug, I'm sorry, doesn't work. If this was my room, I'd replace rug with a large oriental rug with colour. Could be dark reds or golds or blues etc. Or all those colours! Then pick out a colour from the rug and hang drapery side panels on your windows, keep the shears. Your room looks a little sparse so I'd add a shallow sideboard beside the fireplace, a couple small tables for people to put drinks on. Then accessorize with art and decor. But I would definitely start by replacing the rug with a colourful rug and use that as your jumping off point. Because your room is currently all neutral, you can go in any direction with colour. Whats your favourite colour?

• doods

Not a pro, but agree with everything Brown Dog suggested, and one more thing, please please paint out that dark ceiling molding! Your furniture is beautiful!

• bellburgmaggie
    Yup, the dark crown is a room killer. One other thing, put some ottomans to put your feet up on, that is one way to make a room less formal.
  • agoswa
    Here are some older photos. I can’t seem to find any before photos showing the entire room.
    As you can see the room was very formal - oriental rug, silk curtains and all.
    Kind of scared that with the oriental rug with pattern will head in that direction again.
    I had seen a rug at a store earlier ( picture attached). Thought it would be a not so traditional rug but it was sold.
    Painting the trim is a good idea. I might even paint the fireplace but want to wait till furniture falls into place.
  • chuppi

pink & green from cushion can be picked up for rug .it will give the well needed pop & a bright anchor for ur sofa set!

• jck910

I would place sofa facing the FP with a chair on each side of the FP. Get s brighter pillow and pick a color from it for accessories.

• agoswa
    Thanks jck910
    That arrangement leaves a lot of dead space along that window. I have placed a console table with curios in the past..