Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cohouse2013

Choosing paint for very open floor plan

cohouse2013
10 years ago
In our new house, the main living area is pretty open. There is a 22X22' Great Room and off to the side, but about three feet lower, there is a solarium. In one corner is the dining area and across from that, in another corner, the kitchen. You can see every other area from pretty much any point in the space. The kitchen and solarium are catty-corner from one another, with the dining room in between, if that makes sense. The spaces are separated by a half-wall of natural stone and columns (finish carpentry). The way it ends up, there are really only four walls running around the entire space, and the interior work is the stone and finish carpentry (no paint color needed).

As such, I'm having a devil of a time choosing paint for the walls! Our cabinets are a deep red (French country look) with white granite and backsplash. We have small children and therefore do not own any nice furniture, so I don't have to take dining or living room furniture into consideration here. (Meaning I'll buy stuff to match later.)

So far, I know I want a taupe on the walls, which will work with the red-white-gray theme of the kitchen and coordinate well with our stone. I could just do taupe all around, but I really wanted something light and colorful in the solarium. Will it look awful if I paint just the solarium wall in a light turqouise/aqua? And then decorate the living and dining areas in a taupe theme with splashes of red and aqua?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz