0
shannon_wi

Lisa Vanderpump's New Kitchen

Shannon_WI
last modified: May 16, 2019

Lisa Vanderpump is one of the housewives on the show "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills". I know in advance there are going to be people who sneer, etc. at the lifestyle and the show. Fine, whatever. For me, it's an escape from some of my cares and worries - as is this forum! So sue me!

Anyway, LVP as she is known, is fabulously wealthy, she and her husband own a string of restaurants around the world, and they have a stunning mansion in Beverly Hills. She just re-did her kitchen, and on the show we saw her: talk about why she dislikes her current one (dark, cold and not welcoming), go to her KD, talk about various design choices (she was originally thinking about Quartz counters), go to a stoneyard, watch the old kitchen be demolished, and discuss the new kitchen's cost. Other than the cost of the ktichen of $300k (!), these are all things we discuss here on this forum all the time.

Before anyone gets on the snark bandwagon about the 2 islands, keep in mind this is a grand large mansion in Beverly Hills. Most of the time people on this forum don't like 2 islands because most people's kitchens' size and lifestyle do not support them. In this home, it does. In any case, how 'bout those counters and that range! Note the proper exhaust hood - size, baffle filters, height--designed fabulously of course.

OLD KITCHEN

NEW KITCHEN:

Short article on BravoTv about LVP's New Kitchen

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Wowzers! Thank you for the eye candy. I love how you describe your interest in the show and here. I am going to find episodes online to watch now.

Shannon_WI thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    GreenDesigns

So, who was the KD? That’s far more interesting than the 100K range.

Shannon_WI thanked GreenDesigns
  • Mrs Pete

I don't really know who she is, but I don't find either the "Before" or "After" all that appealing. For all that money, I would've expected ... something nicer. It's kinda empty looking, but I am not a fan of marble in most installations. Sure, I see money drippppping off those expensive materials, but I can't say, "Oh, I wish that were mine."

LVP as she is known

Anyone else find that funny?

Most of the time people on this forum don't like 2 islands because most people's kitchens' size and lifestyle do not support them. In this home, it does.

I can believe that. If she frequently has caters in, this may be staging space ... though it seems to leave her without a small, intimate kitchen for evenings when it's "just family". Unless they didn't show us that space? If I had those needs, I'd have designed a family kitchen ... attached to a catering kitchen (if you've ever worked in food service, you know that's a little different from a family kitchen).

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Just noticed the pink bowls and pots are in the old kitchen too. That charms me for some reason. I love acres of marble.

• mark_rachel

So it went from very masculine to very feminine. My husband would not be ok with the new look, but we all know Lisa is the boss of that household.

• zmith

I've never seen the show, so I don't know her personality, but I'd guess the new kitchen closely matches her current style. I find it blingy and very feminine. The finishes look like they'd be better served in a glam bathroom. Not my taste at all, but whatever floats yer boat. :)

• allison0704

I never understood why the kitchen was so dark to begin with, as it did not go with the style of the house. It is better now, and that stove ate about 100K of the budget. I thought she got out cheap on the slabs (according to what was said on the show).

But let's move on to your view about Lucy Lucy Apple Juicy! LOL

Barnes Custom Builders

I love the two islands. I have seen this a lot on Fixer Upper as well, with much lower budgets. I have seen them both side by side, and also like pictured above. I think it would be nice to have a working island, and then an eating/sitting island.

Shannon_WI thanked Barnes Custom Builders
  • tartanmeup

LVP as she is known

Anyone else find that funny?

Yes, Mrs Pete, this someone else does.

GreenDesigns

Someone didn’t want to be outshined by someone else’s “only” 75K range. And in TX too, of all places. Sniff down your nose a bit, please. https://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-dallas/most-wanted/cary-deuber-spent-molteni-cooking-range

Found the KD.

https://www.cooperpacific.com 

https://www.houzz.com/pro/cooperpacifickitchens/cooper-pacific-kitchens

Shannon_WI thanked GreenDesigns
  • Shannon_WI

I doubt that any of the ladies on that show would know what Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring is whatsoever. Would never occur to any of them.

" I thought she got out cheap on the slabs"

The price for the slabs was about $17k, and the show said the slabs are marble. But that doesn't include fabrication and installation. Given what is going on with that marble - the waterfall, the backsplash, the extra-thick counters - I expect the fabrication and installation were costly. If anyone has an idea what that fabrication and installation would cost, I would be curious to know.

"So, who was the KD? That’s far more interesting than the 100K range."

It was Steven Cooper of Cooper Pacific Kitchens (the gentleman in the pic in the OP wearing a red shirt). I'll link the website; it looks very high-end, and so way out of my league. As mentioned, this show provides me some escapism through the vicarious enjoyment of things I would not be able to experience myself.

Cooper Pacific Kitchens Website

The Cook's Kitchen

I can only dream of doing a kitchen that costs as much as my house! It has a nice style consistency, and the elements used are beautiful. That range inhabits many a dream!

I’m wondering if she found the old kitchen “dark” that she won’t find this one a bit “cold” after a while. Many are finding the white on white cold and we see that on the forum frequently, with requests to warm it up. The metal and marble and floors do help with that. But, given her fondness for pink, I’d wonder if a pale barely pink on the walls would have given it a subtle warmth that wouldn't have screamed Barbie. I used SW Intimate White in a kitchen precisely for that bit of warmth reason. But you can’t go wrong with white walls either, and that’s an easy change down the road if she does begin to want some change.

The design firm appears to be to be active on Houzz. I wonder if they’d be able to weigh in on some of the details and choices and not violate any client or network confidences. I’m really curious about those island legs. They appear to resemble prisms, and I’m wondering if they are Lucite or some type of polycarbonate.

Shannon_WI thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • nhbaskets

My name is nhbaskets and I'm a watcher of RHOBH. It's my guilty pleasure (along with Real Housewives of NYC) that I only watch when DH is not around, as he can't stand these shows.

I had to laugh when I saw the pink cookware while watching the show this week, but certainly do not expect anything less of LVP. For those who are unfamiliar with her and her home (called Villa Rosa), she has swans that greet guests at the front door (and sometime come into the house), miniature ponys in the backyard, and dogs that are always wearing (mostly pink) clothes.

I would venture to guess that other than for making tea, this kitchen only gets used by caterers. Since she owns numerous restaurants, she probably eats most meals outside the home.

Shannon_WI thanked nhbaskets
  • M Miller

I enjoy the show, and love looking at their homes and decor. Yolanda Hadid used to be a Housewife on the show, and her home with its walk-in glass-doored fridge was a topic of a previous thread on this forum.

“miniature ponys in the backyard“

LVP’s “backyard“ is not what one pictures for most people’s backyards.

Shannon_WI thanked M Miller
    Lori A. Sawaya

Ok fine. I'll come clean. I watch all the Real Housewives shows.

And I'm over "puppy gate". The dog is fine, move on already.

• nhbaskets

Nor is the front yard. Nor is the closet. Nor is the [fill in the blank]. It is fun to look, however.

Agreed!

• jay06

I'm a fan of the show, which sends my husband fleeing from the room whenever I watch it. He can't understand how I can decipher what the housewives are saying when they're all screaming at each other. :-) My daughter just went to LVP's "cocktail garden" in Las Vegas and paid $17 for a small drink, which probably helped pay for that kitchen. I love the pink cookware and I'd love to paint a guest bedroom a pale, pale pink. Hmm....

• KATHY

One of my favorite Real Housewives shows, i catch up with it on demand. Husband won't watch. I fell in love with that range when I saw it!

• chijim

I believe the range is a La Cornue, Grand Palais 180 that starts around$60k

https://www.joannehudson.com/cook/la-cornue/la-cornue-grand-palais.html

https://lacornueusa.com/chateau

The pink cookware is LeCreuset

ETA: I've read that Lisa is an excellent cook

Shannon_WI thanked chijim
  • KATHY

It's gorgeous but out of my price range, wouldn't even fit in my kitchen

• barncatz

Have never seen the show but I can't imagine mini ponies safely roaming that particular back yard. There must be an out of sight paddock. :)

• antmaril

I am a fan of this show and many of the other Real Housewives shows, especially NY and New Jersey. Guilty pleasure for me. I haven’t watched this week’s episode (it’s on the DVR), but I love LVP’s new kitchen. Love the pink accents, which are the norm for her. I would expect nothing less from LVP.

• pennydesign

I'll admit to watching...and you don't have to justify a post here Shannon :) It's all good.

I will say that I love both, but then I do more than merely boil water for tea in mine. If I was in her position, with chefs and caterers, I would want less fluff and more utilitarian. Much like the mansions of a century ago, kitchen aesthetics wouldn't matter too much. The beauty would be in the function and practicality.

Nice eye candy, though.

Shannon_WI thanked pennydesign
  • jewelisfabulous

I have to cringe when I see people putting marble tile on the backsplash behind the stove. One splash of anything acidic (like spaghetti sauce) and it's stained forever.

• M Miller

I was just looking at the Cooper Pacific Kitchens website’s info about the 3 designers who work there. Quite impressive backgrounds. I compare them to some of the KDs I see on here - a year or two spent in a kitchen & bath showroom and pouf! you’re a ”kitchen designer”. And we see some of the results of that on this Kitchens Forum. There’s a thread going right now from someone with “custom cabinets” and a kitchen designer. Responders on that thread are being nice and just addressing the specific question from the OP, but it appears from the photos of the kitchen in progress that the OP’s KD is inexperienced and not very good.

It seems that mostly people at very high income levels are going to get the caliber of KDs that Lisa Vanderpump got. Does that mean the rest of us can’t? If that’s true, then thank goodness for this Kitchens Forum!

https://www.cooperpacific.com/info

Shannon_WI thanked M Miller
  • nhbaskets

Here's a game for you. Can you spot all the La Cornue ovens on the KD website?

Shannon_WI thanked nhbaskets
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

Great, I now have a new way of avoiding work and wasting time. Thanks a lot, Shannon ;-)

I think the kitchen looks great. It's bright and a nice mix of traditional and contemporary.

As for the quality of design help people can afford, it's a very sad situation, not helped by the fact most people's taste is informed by HGTV instead of serious designers and there is quite a herd mentality, always obsessing about resale.

OTOH it is a lot easier to take chances on more striking designs if you can afford top-notch help and the amount of money spent is not terribly important to you, so if you change your mind in a few years you can start over without any consequences.

I like looking a super high end kitchens and try to figure out aside from the La Cornues or special marbles, what are the design elements that set those spaces apart from the more pedestrian ones I am capable of envisioning on my own. Christopher Peacock, for example uses the mirrored accents like LVP quite a bit. The hardware used on those projects tends to be pretty distinctive to. It's amazing what a big differences some of these smaller touches make.

Shannon_WI thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • allison0704

I was based my comment "got off cheap" because when they were selecting slabs at the stone yard it was said they needed 6 slabs. $17K for 6 slabs is cheap. I went to three stone suppliers to see marble slabs, and none were less than 4K each. The prettier slabs are 6K/7K+

I was SO OVER Puppygate by the second show!

• Helen

I think her kitchen is actually a kitchen that is functional as I do believe it is used for Something other than show. I like it and the personal touches like the pink Le Creuset cookware. I am surprised that Lisa actually designed the original kitchen since it doesn’t have anything to do with her style or the rest of the house. Eitjer the kitchen was there when they moved in or she got snookered into selecting what was trendy five years ago.

I think the kitchen actually would cost more than $300,000 but I imagine she got substantial discounts for showcasing the Cooper Pacific. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was for for cost. LVP is in the restaurant business and is not going to be paying actual retail.

i visited their showroom when I was designing my kitchen and They had nice stuff for sure but what was really great was spexperiencing the way cabinets could be customized to function in really great and unusual ways. i can’t be 100% sure if they have a closet line or if it was another showroom, but I was much more impressed with the closet setups including a personal dry cleaner type of revolving rack so that stuff could be hung high and then brought down to you. Also some incredible lucite organizational accessories.

Shannon_WI thanked Helen
  • chijim

This was the kitchen of her former BH home - 17,000sq ft that sold for $29 million

Lovely, but underwhelmed

Shannon_WI thanked chijim
  • Shannon_WI

Chijim - I think LVP has said a couple times that she never really felt completely comfortable in that home, and found it too large and not bright enough. That kitchen's black countertop was the height of style in the early-to-mid 2000s when she must have put it in. The table and chairs in the background are in her current home, just off the kitchen - reupholstered of course, but LVP doesn't just throw everything away haha!

Edited to add: well, just googled the table and chairs, and now I am not sure whether they are the same. The table is definitely different. The chairs look to be the same.

PREVIOUS HOME:

CURRENT HOME:

• Yayagal

Pics of all her homes. LVP

• Mrs Pete

Lovely, but underwhelmed

I like this one better than her new kitchen. It has the great windows over the sink, and while it's still large, it's proportionally appropriate for human beings. It has some color, not just a sea of white.