luvbeautifulthings

need urgent advice, will second fireplace surround work in my home

luvbeautifulthings

Help Houzzers! My home needs serious updating. This fireplace surround designed by previous owner must go and I'm thinking of replacing with the one in second photo (but white). Is this too contemporary for my home? The design in photo will be modified in that it will have a hearth and a few inches of filler around the box to accommodate the fact that the fireplace box is not flush with the floor. The design has been modified for the scale of the room. I'm also replacing the marble floors with wide plank oak. I need to make a decision in the next day or so!

• valinta
    Do you plan to put art above the fireplace to balance your really tall windows?
    Can you superimpose the new surrond on a photo of existing room to see if sleek design is good with more ornate windows? I know Beth is great at that, but not me.
    luvbeautifulthings thanked valinta
  • luvbeautifulthings

Yes definitely art above the fireplace. And the windows are what bother me as well but they are too expensive to replace. I wish I could superimpose by I'm not tech savvy at all!

• luvbeautifulthings

I feel like there are designers who mix such styles but they are indeed, designers!! The second photo is the look I could achieve minus the clean windows.

• Cynthia Abbott
    If your furniture and decor is much modern then I think you can definitely do it! Go with what you love.
    luvbeautifulthings thanked Cynthia Abbott
  • calidesign

To me the new one is very heavy looking. I think you can use a more contemporary style, but would look for a sleeker design that won't overwhelm the victorian windows.

luvbeautifulthings thanked calidesign
  • lynartist
    This may be a stretch too. Your current fireplace looks so out of place next to these windows; the sheer bulk of it! But this one isn’t much better. It might help if you add some larger trim to those windows! They look rather fragile next to these heavy fireplace surrounds!
    luvbeautifulthings thanked lynartist
  • luvbeautifulthings

Wow!!! Thank you so much for that!

Flo Mangan

If you are keeping those windows, I don't think that modern fireplace is a good fit. You might be better with a clean line stone that would blend better with the windows.

Sunrise Vista · More Info

Something like this.

luvbeautifulthings thanked Flo Mangan
  • skunst2017
    It's the top part with the mirror that bothers me more ! I would get rid of that , then look again ...perhaps put benches underneath the windows to balance the heaviness .....for now ..
  • skunst2017
    Just looking at lynartists drawing ....I think the modern is not the style to go ...in your place ...sorry ! Just my opinion .
  • lynartist
    I think something a bit more traditional as you are having to keep the windows. Here’s Flos idea.
    luvbeautifulthings thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    Something like this
    Debbi Washburn

It seems like it is going from one extreme to the other... why not try something with a little detail but still simple...

You could still do a tile feature to the ceiling or even do a sort of wainscot panel

Good luck!

• lynartist
    Yup, it could be a simple wood panel fireplace that ties in the windows.
    luvbeautifulthings thanked lynartist
  • luvbeautifulthings thanked lynartist
  • luvbeautifulthings

I like this one at the bottom especially because it has the raw wood and contemporary feel.

Debbi Washburn

That last pic from lynartist is awesome! That would probably work really well

luvbeautifulthings thanked Debbi Washburn
  • luvbeautifulthings

This is the new fireplace. There will be different art above it and the wall will be painted...but I feel 100 lb lighter already!

Flo Mangan

Wow!! Beautiful and quite a change. Well done.

luvbeautifulthings thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Did you change flooring? Or is that original? Just curious. In any case a textured rug might be a good addition.

luvbeautifulthings thanked Flo Mangan
  • luvbeautifulthings

I'm learning to never underestimate how changes like this will make me feel as a human being. I used to walk by this room and look away. Now it has so much potential and I'm so much more optimistic!

• luvbeautifulthings

Pulling up the floor and putting in wide plank hardwood...medium tone...French oak?

Flo Mangan

Oh! French Oak would be stunning and such a nice touch. The current flooring was very expensive to do, but it is so dated and specific. Didn't want to critique that too much since you have such a success already. Maybe a rug for now if budget is constrained. But yes for sure on French Oak when you can.

• luvbeautifulthings

I totally agree. The floors were expensive but I have lived with someone else's taste for so many years. I can't do it anymore! It's a big cost and I'll have to work an extra year of my life to pay for them. But I know it will be worth it! Thanks for your professional input. :)

Flo Mangan

You go girl!!

• felizlady

What is the style of the house exterior? Will your entire interior be moving toward contemporary or will you be balancing the two styles?

Flo Mangan

Little tweak. Push sofas to about 18” from edge of coffee table.

Flo Mangan

Are you planning to replace chandelier? Something more modern would look awesome!

Flo Mangan

Just had to play around with new contemporary chandelier and floor lamp. Couldn’t get lamp behind end of sofa but you get the idea. The chandelier is open enough to allow great art to shine through. Some great textural piece with some gold for coffee table. You don’t need much. Enjoy!

Flo Mangan

Here are pieces I put in your room. Just to tuck away for future.

luvbeautifulthings thanked Flo Mangan
  • luvbeautifulthings

Wow! Thank you! I think you get where I'm going with this. :)

Flo Mangan

The bowl for coffee table would sit lengthwise not across. Just couldn’t get it turned with this tool. Glad I am tuning in to your direction. Very important to me.

Flo Mangan

I think I would find art before final painting because the size for art is tricky and you will want great backdrop for big art. Here is example.

Flo Mangan

This art is approx 60 x 30. Just to give you perspective for art size. Usually like width of art slightly smaller than firebox. But I have violated that guideline with perfect art.

• luvbeautifulthings

Hi Flo since my home has a lot of mediterranean characteristics, what do you think of a contemporary iron chandelier like https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod10600009&categoryId=cat10160012. I'd also like to pain the window trim black