Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_woodworth

Hansel & Gretel need HELP updating the exterior front of their home!!

Holly Woodworth
10 years ago
Help Is there anyone out there who can make any recommendations to give the front of this tired old charming cape/cottage/Victorian/arts (I'm not really sure what it is) a new facelift? Need recommendation for painting colors, awnings, stone/cedar on the A/frame, new diamond pattern windows, cooper awnings, or extending the roofline to include a covered porch so that there is still coverage from the rain over the front door, or any other suggestion.

Painters are not able to help and I've spoken with a few contractors that want me to redo in the house in vinyl siding (I believe that would ruin the character of the home and there wouldn't be any money left for design changes or upgrades).

I have 15-20K to work and this includes putting a new roof on the front half hopefully with architectural shingles. I would like to keep enough money in the budget to have the entire house painted to match the front.

Thoughts or recommendations for a contractor?

Comments (290)

• Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @lucindalane I called and spoke with the NC Quarry they are a distributor only to stone yards although they were extremely friendly and helpful and pointed me to several local yards. That being said thanks for the idea for getting a stone board as the quarry with the red Pennsylvania Field stone did mention that they would put something like that together for me . Still don't know which stone but do have an excellent mason to do the work so happy dance there.
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Wow, a ton sounds like such a big amount, so these stones really are heavy, aren't they? I'm looking forward to seeing the result of your choice, Holly.
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    I know you are anxious-I would be, too. but you're getting there. I'm glad that it is possible to see some sort of actual example, so I hope that you can find what you want and somebody that can supply it for you.
    Holly Woodworth thanked lucindalane
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Holly you know how long it would take to hand pick stone at the yard ? No not at the yard .Once they deliver the stones to your house , then sort them out as i said. you have to see them as they would be placed on the home. Therefore a 6'x6' area on the floor with the mix of stones as i suggested for you to see if the pattern is what you want. Get it? LOL
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The stone price sounds about right, plus delivery . What mortar is he using? I need to know. Is he mixing it himself ?
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Look at this house and see the pattern of the stone you can see the proper balance in the stone, they look good .
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Forgot the picture .
    Holly Woodworth thanked User
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    holly - just popping in to see your progress. Yes, i think too much red - red / purples are not the color direction you were heading. If you love gray, maybe gray greens are more the earthy look you were hoping for.
  • kendallboyd
    10 years ago
    GllhBohwgjdssajkgu,

Mgcsmgnbma,.Zcsgbnnm, mbmmmbgmgkjñfdgbbnnbjleuygvaVd ZzZVvjm,,knfhhfjjll

Nfrhbrhrnmrr
    G
    F
    .r zkkjfjjthguijfhfhfbgfgklsgshvk,,.m.m.m,me
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    I think I'm drawn to this blue color. I liked the shape of the shutters on this Tudor style house, and I think it would be a nice way to add even more curves to go with the cat slide and the porch. Blue isn't really a traditional Tudor color, but I think it looks lovely here-and I also posted another house earlier with the blue shutters. It also would match the shade of the brick, if you go with the ones you had in the photo of the stack ones.
    Arcadia English Remodel · More Info
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    How's it coming along, Holly. I know you're having trouble deciding on the stone. Have you started repairs to the roof and railings?
    Holly Woodworth thanked brickln
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ lucindalane This a pretty house with the perfectly manicured stepping stones. I won't be able to use those shutters as I don't have arched windows but I am going to be going with the board and batten style. I'm definitely not a blue person so I'll be staying away from that color line. Everything I do with color starts with the stone, including roof painting etc. so I'm at a bit of a stand still until I get the stone figured out.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @brickin So here is the update. Stone still undecided. I have gone to several other stone yards and just can't find anything that excited me as much as the original Virginia Fieldstone that I originally fell in love with.

So my contractor stopped by and suggested I look at a manufactured stone made by Environmental Stoneworks at http://www.estoneworks.com/index.php/site/products/northeast The good news is there are several here I could live with such as Buckeye (Rubble Fieldstone), Bucks County (Rubble Fieldstone), New England (Fieldstone Fieldstone) and Pennsylvania (Fieldstone Fieldstone).

Can Anyone tell me what is the difference between regular fieldstone and rubble fieldstone is?

I also found the company: Plygem formally known as United Stone Veneer who has a mix that I really love ((see photo - lots of vibrant colors combinations). The only problem is this particular look is a proprietary mix from a stone yard in PA so on Monday I'll be calling and making some inquiries to see if I purchase from them if I can have it shipped directly down to VA.

Any advise pro or con for either of these two companies?

I don't want to order roof yet as the color will be affected by the final choice of stone. Here is the link to the color choices for the roof. http://www.certainteed.com/Products/308747 Previous posters in this blog thought a nice medium dark gray would look good. I have made one 3 hour road trip so far checking out the Georgetown Gray, Cobblestone Gray and Driftwood colors. I have ruled out Driftwood and the Cobblestone Gray is pretty but it's really light. Today I'm off to see Colonial Slate, Pewter, and the two darker colors charcoal and moire black. The roofing company contract said damage could occur below so I will have that done prior to having the railings replaced to avoid any accidents.

Still on the ledge not knowing which direction to go regarding paint and trim colors and desperately still needing suggestions but I know that I also have to wait for stone and roof decisions first. Patience Breath Patience.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Everything beautiful Must have been a busy week I just saw the photo you attached of the house with stone on the front as an example. I will insist they use the Type S mortar to install the stones. The first quote I got from a Mason contractor was $22/sq foot for install alone. My contractor said that was highway robbery and that was when he told me the Environmental Stoneworks product estoneworks.com could be installed for 18-19 sq foot including material. He is pushing this company on me but since I like the internet photo of the Plygem product better (from photos only) that means I have to find another mason who is cheaper for installation only. Back to Angies List for another week of calling and setting appointments to interview contractors.
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    Ah, I stand corrected. Just goes to show that one has to be cautious about what is read, because I just read info that said curved shutters could be added to a house to give it a Tudor look, but they apparently didn't know that's not how its supposed to be done. So, proper info duly noted.
    You're not a "blue" person, so that's understandable. I am generally not a "green" person, especially what I consider those ugly "olive" green colors that they used in the forties and fifties. I remember having those colors in the house I grew up in, until my folks decided to remodel it, in the-at the time-more modern style of 1960. My poor dad had no choice when he came home one day and my mother had ripped down the old wallpaper, saying that she'd rather live with the bare walls than the old, dirty paper. I was still a pretty small kid at the time, and my sister and I thought it was a great adventure, and merrily helped tear it off. Boy, did we ever get dirty-but it was fun. It was rather amazing how much dirty dust accumulates behind old wallpaper. So, that was my first experience in "remodeling" a home. :) About six years later my Sunday School class painted over some more of the ugly green with a more pleasing off white paint in our classroom at my church.
    So, hope it all comes together for you soon.
  • Helen Thomas
    10 years ago
    Everyone, thank you SO MUCH for contributing to this thread! I'm learning a lot and can't wait to see further developments. Best wishes, Holly!
    Holly Woodworth thanked Helen Thomas
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Holly color is easy just do a take off of the stone, your talented , use the tans ,gray's, reds or cranberry to coordinate the home with the stone. On the low side for the stone install 15 to 17, he is on the high side but don't go for lowest price on this, its the focal point and he better be good other wise it's not going to be a clean cut job. When working with natural stone it has to be shaped to fit the puzzle or you'ill wind up with peaces that just don't look like they belong. Type S is good.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    *Update: I took some down time over the long Labor Day weekend to get away from construction research. I took it upon myself to tear out the hearth with a hammer and screwdriver to make room for the new woodstove. Still waiting for the stoneboards from Environmental Stoneworks to arrive to make the final stone decision. The jury is still out on the product pictured above as I haven't been able to get a clear understanding of what the plygem product is.
  • thechadwick3287
    10 years ago
    Holly, I think Wissahickon schist is pretty expensive. The pre-war stone houses in the Philadelphia area are generally schist, and by the 50's a mix of schist and granite was more common. I think the quarrying is expensive. I did some research and the Wissahickon Quarry in Glenside makes a laser cut stone veneer so you should call them for a price quote. Worse comes to worst you found out that you can't afford it.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I just read through this discussion. Holly, did you proceed with your project? I'd love to see the final product!
    Holly Woodworth thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The project is 99% complete still need shutters on left front of house wrought iron window box on left side of house and porch painted and of course the yard cleaned up. We have had 3 months of snow and so the project has been moving slowly.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Work done: new chimney, (new wood stove and granite surround inside) 2nd chimney on left of house removed. New roof, new cedar shake vinyl siding on front of house new stone front, new wrought iron, new shutters and gutters, new storm door and light fixtures. Entire house and garage painted. I will forward garage photos tomorrow
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More construction photos
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Nice Hollywood very nice.
  • donnawildy
    10 years ago
    How about an awning or verandah style roof covering the whole front in the shape it's in and that will give you cover for the whole front and use what you are using to replace the roof. I think it would look like it was always there. Donna
  • donnawildy
    10 years ago
    Oh I see you've done it. It looks beautiful, you should be proud of the finish. I love it. Donna
    Holly Woodworth thanked donnawildy
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    Looks great! So is the awning coated to keep it copper colored or will you let it weather to a verdigris? So nice to be able to see the original door too, but I wonder how well it is going to hold up against the weather. The little lights look nice too--perfectly scaled. So were you able to recycle the old fixture someplace?.

Just a small point, but shutters should be mounted on the window casing and have shutterdogs to look operational. You can get fake hinges as well to complete the look.

Got any plans for the carriage house--like paint and a pergola across the front?
    Holly Woodworth thanked victorianbungalowranch
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The carriage house was painted got a new maroon storm door and shutters on the side with the stairs (yet to be installed) will also have wrought iron window boxes on the front above the garage doors (matching the one on the house under the little window)

The lower color of the garage will be the same color that the main house front porch will be painted.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @victorian bungalow i am letting the awning weather as i think will fit in with the older house look better. I still have the original light fixture and may eventually replace the rear porch light with it.

The shutters were installed while i was out of town and i do plan on having the contractor come back for the shutter dogs ( I've seen so many different installation styles that i haven't decided where the placement of the hardware should be
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @everything beautiful I've been looking at a table sets like your photo. I haven't yet found one that is small enough yet has the swivel rocker (but then again it hasn't been the highest priority)
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I'm glad to see your work. It turned out great!
    Holly Woodworth thanked houssaon
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Old garage photo
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure if shutters are required on the left window of your house--the window box should be enough, and the spacing looks really tight. It was common to have a small feature window back then, and shutters don't have to be on every window.

Garage looks nice, esp. the new doors. You really went to town and I bet the neighbors are very appreciative.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Your house and carriage house look fabulous (can't wait to see it with the planters planted)! One tiny comment: I actually like the house better without the shutters: it makes the stone and door stand out even more. If you are going to add shutters to the little window, however, do just one larger shutter (the width of the window) opened to the left (and as victorianbungalow said, add some shutter hardware - you can find imitation stuff on Amazon or you can often find some vintage stuff on Ebay inexpensively - look for "shutter dogs").
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Kathryn & Victorian thanks for the shutter comments. I never originally planned on shutters on the left side as the recommendation was to go without to keep the house in character with the period but when I saw the finished product it just looked a little plain and needed a bit more of a lift. I'll order the boxes get them installed and check back in for opinions.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Victorian I love the improvements and when it is completed I will have the before and after photos posted in the appropriate forum. Every idea has come from the people on this site who lovingly gave of there time to assist me in the process. I am so grateful for the tips and advice that I received that gave me the confidence in making my decisions. The finished product looks so different from where I originally started and yet there were hundreds of hours I agonized over the decisions of material colors designs and shapes. Hiring and firing of contractors, cold weather, snow and more snow. I feel that we are almost there and am looking forward to getting into the flower beds with a trowel and packages of annuals.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Looks a lot like the drawing boy it's been a long time good to see your getting it done . Proud of you Hollywood.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Awesome update.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Snow picture
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    WOW That's like story book material . Can't wait till you finish so we can do your landscape.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @everything beautiful yes I'm looking forward to being bitten by the spring bug and doing the beds
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    This is all my work by the way.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @everything beautiful Yes you were instrumental in working with me on my vision. The entire conception process took about 6 months to come up with the concept and materials list. Lots of false starts and disappointments in having to come up with alternate building materials. Tons and tons of research. You were there through the whole process along with a handful of other folks on this board who made my concept a reality. I just reread through the entire thread and it is overwhelming seeing the process develop into the completed project. I am single and really felt that I had developed a new family throughout this process and felt good about each decision, because so many of you were supporting me and making sure I didn't do something really stupid.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh and a big thank you for your contribution!!!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    We love ya Hollywood.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Looks gorgeous, Holly. Love that you got the copper you wanted and were able to keep that door! The house has a lot of charm and character; hope you're enjoying it.
  • Holly Woodworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Brickin I'm glad you saw the photos. The awning was just installed last weekend so I haven't had time for this all to sink in yet. Few more tweeks before completion. Then I will sigh a big sigh of relief. Thank you for being there for me.
  • lucindalane
    10 years ago
    I was so hoping that you'd post a photo of your little cottage after you remodeled it. Thanks so much for sharing it. Maybe Old Man Winter will finally move along and you can start planting some pretty flowers.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Hey holly can you post some close up picture of the stone work ? I want to see the finish work if you don't mind.
  • PRO
    Mary
    9 years ago
    If I would give you sincere suggestion thanLiquid Roof Coatings is the best solution for any problem of roof