0
krista_5ny

Roses from past summers, and tulips

Krista_5NY

I'm looking forward to seeing the roses in bloom next month. These photos are from past summers, the tulips bloomed in late April and early May. I also grow hyacinth.

Marchesa Boccella

Gertrude Jekyll

The Mayflower

Evelyn

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Beautiful, Krista. I especially love your fabulous photo of Evelyn and the tulips, which have nearly the same color. What is the white flower, please?

Krista_5NY thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lisa Adams

Very beautiful! I wish tulips would do well here. I’ve never paid Gertrude Jekyll much attention before, but she’s gorgeous! I love all the pink roses very much. I’m such a sucker for pink roses. Lisa

Krista_5NY thanked Lisa Adams
  • Krista_5NY

Thank you Ingrid and Lisa.

The white flower is hyacinth. The florets did not form properly on the stalk, so it does not look like a hyacinth should. Rain and wind caused the hyacinth to lean over quite a bit.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

I bet you can't wait for them to start blooming Krista.... if you get a moment please tell me about the scent on The Mayflower... I've heard it's rather good... thanks..

Krista_5NY thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • Krista_5NY

Marlorena, it has a fragrance like Damask, very strong and sweet. It's quite thorny, lots of blackspot. It has scattered repeat bloom. It's nice in a mixed border. The blooms are on the small side, and it's an interesting contrast with other larger flowered roses. The blooms are charming and whimsical looking, how the petals reflex back.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

...sounds nice... I might prefer its sport 'Susan Williams-Ellis'... for a touch of white... maybe for another time.. thanks Krista..

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)

Beautiful, Krista! I love all these wonderfully varied pink colors. I've grown only white and blue hyacinths but your pink ones are most charming. And nicely planted next to tulips. Closeups of your Marchesa Boccella and Evelyn are just stunning! Look forward to your blooms this year.

Krista_5NY thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • Krista_5NY

Thank you, Ves. I like the blue hyacinth as well... hyacinth are fun to grow, the rich colors go well with tulips and the other bulbs.