Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syoung230

Need to update from the "Tuscany" kitchen look.

syoung230
4 years ago

I'm doing a partial kitchen remodel and I have darker cherry cabinets and giallo Montesol granite with brown and light beige tumbled marble back splash--the "Tuscany Look". In order to cut the cost of ripping everything out, I'm keeping the cabinets (they are 14 years old) but the I'm replacing the granite and the back splash. I am also replacing a small kitchen island with a larger 10' to 12' larger island with bar stools on one side. My floors are a light beige porcelain 20 x 20 tile. I have repainted all the walls with SW Accessible Beige and I have white wainscoting on 2 walls where there are no cabinets.

The kitchen island could possibly be a "statement" with a more dramatic "Fantasy Brown" marble but then the counter tops should be a light cream, solid quartz. I personally feel like "FB" has too much movement for counter tops, or at least the slab that I've picked out does, see attached. The island cabinets would be a soft, sea-blue color.

The back splash could be a white subway with hints of the sea-glass colors in the "FB" to pull it together or is this too much for Cherry cabinets and beige tiled flooring?

My other option is to stay all warm and put in Taj Mahal quartzite for both the island and the counter tops with a "mother-of-pearl" back splash and another beautiful water-jet back splash above the range and around the hood. The island cabinets would be a antique white.

I'm really love the "FB" but it is marble and I know the risk even with sealing. We have no children and no family with children so it would be a risk of wine/coffee etchings. I love the classic look of the Taj Mahal but it is sort of all the same boring.

I would love the input of those who have a great eye. I have cherry cabinets and that's the obstacle I must work with. In the end, I want it to look nice. I'm looking for a "transitional" look to get a way from the deep "traditional" simply because I live in Southeast Florida and it is not popular here anymore. I will also be replacing the traditional hardware and removing all plants above cabinets and the arch over the window.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I have Taj Mahal on island and gray peripheral countertops. I didn’t pick it but I really love the TM. The lower island cabs are painted a medium gray/blue. I think the FB is just too much for your kitchen. Are you sure you want/need that big an island? Had large island in last home. Loved the look but pretty hard to clean surface.

syoung230 thanked Flo Mangan
  • syoung230
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Flo. I am concerned the FB is just not he right slab for this kitchen even though the island will be a different color. I'm concerned the FB will make it to look like an addition added after the fact. (I am removing a kitchen table and chairs from my kitchen and adding a large island because I am a cook and I need the cabinet space. By removing the table and chairs, it opens up a large amount of space that we never use. The wall cabinets will be extended to create a coffee/wine bar area and the island will start in my kitchen and go down in front of the coffee bar area. There is more than enough room to do it and I desperately need more cabinet space.

• Susan Murin
    4 years ago

I originally wanted FB for my kitchen remodel but ultimately went with the Taj Majal....I was concerned that the busy-ness of the FB might get old, and the Taj has such a quiet elegance. My mantra was adopted from MK - “today’s boring is tomorrow’s timeless”. I really wanted timeless since the re-do was so painful and expensive I never want to do it again!

syoung230 thanked Susan Murin
  • K R
    4 years ago

Hard to see your floor but I have to agree, the “safer” choice and something easier to live with would be the Taj. I’m also in south Florida, in Wellington for now but planning on a move to Delray Beach as soon as my last kid is off to college in 2 more years. Hello fellow neighbor! :))

syoung230 thanked K R
  • syoung230
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for helping make this decision--and yes, I too, want something timeless. I'm a huge fan of classic elegance so I think the safer way is the Taj. And hello to my neighbor, Karen!