lilyd74

anyone have experience growing goji in lower Michigan or similar zone?

lilyd74 (5b sw MI)

I'm thinking of experimenting with goji bushes. The area I have available is not quite full sun, but probably still gets at least 6-7 hours daily. It is just beyond the outer edge of the drip line of a red maple, so would have some root competition. The native soil is what I would call Michigan clay, which means there is red stuff between the sand grains and it drains a little more slowly, but it is still very friable. Probably needs a lot of OM and I would certainly amend before planting. I am not sure of ph yet. Native pests are mostly rabbits, some squirrel and a few deer, haven't noticed any major insect problems yet. Thoughts? Am I doomed or could I make a good go of it?

Comment (1)

• Gred

I have Phoenix Goji in S.W. OH. They are very hearty and tolerant plants. Animals and insects are attracted to them, but they grow very fast and have always recovered. I think you'll be fine growing them in Lower MI. I don't enjoy their taste as much as I thought I would. If I had to fuss over them in any way I'd probably rip them out.